Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Grizedale forest in January.
  • dvnjhn

My mate and I are going to Grizedale in January for a long weekend (comming from Scotland). We have heard that it is a good trail, but I am unsure if it will be enough for a whole four days worth of riding. Is there any other trails close by? Also, if you are from that area, where is the best place to stay that is mountain bike friendly?

jekkyl

You could stay at hawkshead or coniston town. But if I were you I’d stay in Keswick and spend the weekend doing the borrowdale bash and/or back o skiddaw route incl lonscale fell, then you’ve also got whinlatter. I wasn’t that impressed with grizedale, a bit flat.

tomaso
    Free Member

Hawkshead YHA is a good base and there is plenty of riding round Grizedale and the surrounds to keep you busy for days.

dvnjhn

Ah, thanks for that. I may be spending a few more days down in the area than my mate is, so I will probably aim to do them all.

dvnjhn

Is the Hawkshead YHA actually in the town. Just so we can head out at night for a few beveradges and food?

I dont know much about the area, so if I am in town then I would look for somewhere close to Kenswick (or anouther habited place) so we aint stuck in at night.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hawkshead ain’t really a town, there’s a few pubs, a coop, some cafes and gift/outdoorsy shops.

If you want a big night out, go and get messy in the (bow)nessy!

grum
    Free Member

I always bang on about this, but there’s absolutely superb riding in the forest, just don’t stick to the North Face. Do the it at couple of sections then head left on the BW to Breasty Haw. Then either back over to Satterthwaite or right the way down towards Coniston. Have you got the VG guide? Lots of good stuff on there – or try the Bogtrotters website.

thepurist

The yha is a mile or so from the throbbing heart of Hawkshead. There ain’t much there though so keswick or ambleside might be better bases. Get the vertebrate lake district book as a guide.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve ridden at Grizedale a few times but never done the NF loop. Bit confused about the comment about it being too flat. I recall some long climbs on the bridleways and some long fast descents.

Open up an OS map and you’ll see the extensive network of bridleways covering the area including Claife Heights over looking Windermere etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what Grum says IMHO the bridleways give better routes

Its the lakes so there is plenty of riding nearby

jekkyl

@ neninja, Sorry should have defined, it isn’t flat but I was meaning in relation to other areas nearby which are in excess of 3k ft and are cycleable. I.e. skiddaw and helvellyn (legal at least 😉 )

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m not sure how big you want your nights out to be but if you want a session in the pub with food then Hawksheads fine. You can always go posh up at the Drunken Duck a couple of miles away.

If you look here at the boggies routes list it will be a good start. Other than Grizedale look at Claife and Parkamoor but also Elterwater for a good start.

grum
    Free Member

Helvellyn is good if you want a mountain/high hill experience but the riding is better in Grizedale IMO.

Ask Junkyard how he feels about Dollywagon Pike. 🙂

philfive
    Free Member

The north face is pish but I could find 4 days of riding in the lakes no problem, infact I would be in heaven.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ask Junkyard how he feels about Dollywagon Pike

I think i was faster up and down than you were…is that what you mean 😉

It true though I am never ever doing that again EVER. I was happy to get down alive…then crashed on the simple section way afterwards where I somehow managed to go over the bars – it took supreme levels of ineptitude and inattention – and broke my ribs……again.

ricardo666
    Free Member

Breasty haw Bridleway from the cottage across to the lake and back into the forest. Like others have said some good riding. Or you could go ride hodge close, oxen fell and iron keld, which isn’t that far away.

martinhutch

Helvellyn in January could be fun!

Grizedale and surrounding areas are ideal for that time of year – ie more or less all rideable unless you get a big dump of snow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale forest in January.’ is closed to new replies.