Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Grit.cx
  • the_lecht_rocks

so c’mon – when and what’s it all about ?

STW for us gravellers ?

Drac
    nemesis
    Free Member

I’m certainly intrigued. I’m hoping it’s going to be a good mix of the racing side (which I don’t do but find interesting) and more importantly in some ways, the exploring/adventure/fun side of it – eg the do it all side that I do do. I really hope they manage to avoid the pretentious faux-heritage Rapha-type bollocks though as that’s the biggest risk I see.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its for the sh*te they were filling ST mag up with.

nemesis
    Free Member

yay for shite!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Seeing as road bikes & mountain bikes are far to popular these days I’m hoping it’s going to be ‘niche’ :D..

the_lecht_rocks

yep – i’m loving my new gravel bike – i’m genuinely deliberately looking for alternative commutes / roads / forest paths to navigate to and from work.

there’s a definite shift in ST from mountain to cx/gravel, but then so have I.

looking forward to it 🙂

IdleJon

nemesis – Member I really hope they manage to avoid the pretentious faux-heritage Rapha-type bollocks though as that’s the biggest risk I see.

+1

Mark

I think you are going to like it 🙂

There’s a lot of work going on here getting the site ready and the digital issues. Jeff (editor) has issue 1 pretty much nailed down content wise and if you are looking for a mix of race and adventure stuff then you are going to like it I think (crosses fingers).

While we are building the site (which will also be the template for migrating STW to after we launch) Neil (online editor) is using the GritCX Facebook page as his stand in website right now. That page is the best place to watch for updates on the launch and right now for a regular bunch of CX stories. http://facebook.com/gritcx

He (we) would really like it a lot and it would really help us with the launch if you pop over there and like the page 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yay I say, ta for the heads up. 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

Look forward to reading about all the CX stuff, especially the racing, a lot of people think a CX bike is for commuting with mudguards 🙄
    Will it have it’s own forum with ‘big hitters’ and needy people who struggle with basic life skills too?

Mark

It will have it’s own forum. Big hitters and needy types? I’ll leave that for you guys 🙂

IdleJon

MrSmith – Member

Look forward to reading about all the CX stuff, especially the racing, a lot of people think a CX bike is for commuting with mudguards

I was in a LBS in Cardiff a few months ago looking at a Cannondale CX bike. I asked what the salesman thought about it and the first thing he said was that it would be fine for commuting. 🙄

Mark

The fact is CX bikes are primarily used as a commuting and touring bike. The number of people who use CX bikes to actually race on compared to those that use it for something else entirely is very small. That’s why Grit.cx has a wider remit than just content related to racing.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Will that wider remit extend to a coffee section? I hear that Webby practices his latte art daily 😉

Mark

I’m sure he could put together a Latte Art of the Day feature on the website :-). Leave him a suggestion on the Facebook page 🙂

wwaswas

(which will also be the template for migrating STW to after we launch)

There’s going to be change?

benji
    Free Member

‘m sure he could put together a Latte Art of the Day feature on the website

Sorry but can we just leave the pretentious coffee bollox out, it’s almost as bad as the rapha bearded suffering cobblers.

nemesis
    Free Member

No beards and axes? I hear that Beardy McAxerson is free at the moment 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

gritty gravel forum section ?

DavidB
    Free Member

The fact is CX bikes are primarily used as a commuting and touring bike. The number of people who use CX bikes to actually race on compared to those that use it for something else entirely is very small.

Not down our way (Wiltshire/Cotswolds). CX racing scene is huge, CX utility/touring/long rides scene probably only me. Hope you’re covering the racing as well. Loads of new events popping up in Wessex including evening/summer and sportive events.

LS
    Free Member

The fact is CX bikes are primarily used as a commuting and touring bike. The number of people who use CX bikes to actually race on compared to those that use it for something else entirely is very small. That’s why Grit.cx has a wider remit than just content related to racing.

All the bike sheds here (Nottm Uni) are full, never yet seen a CX bike in there. Plenty of nice road and MTBs though. Local CX races (Notts and Derby league) get 500+ competitors every week.
    I live in the Peaks and the only CX bikes I’ve seen out on the trails have been my and my mates doing race training.

Mark

Luckily our data sources are not just from the Peaks and Cotswolds and based on a bit more research than what’s in a uni bike shed 😉

LS
    Free Member

How about data from someone who sorts out race admin for the biggest league in the country? 😀
    Considering that at the moment the students aren’t here so the cheap tat has gone and a) a lot of staff either race or have bought bikes via Cyclescheme, and b) we have a Sustrans office and in my building, I’d expect to see CX bikes everywhere. They are something that I tend to notice…

DavidB
    Free Member

I’d be interested to se that data, where does it come from?

IdleJon

LS – Member

All the bike sheds here (Nottm Uni) are full, never yet seen a CX bike in there. Plenty of nice road and MTBs though. Local CX races (Notts and Derby league) get 500+ competitors every week.
    I live in the Peaks and the only CX bikes I’ve seen out on the trails have been my and my mates doing race training.

I was tempted to post similar but thought maybe it was just me.

My brother-in-law has just bought himself a cross bike for commuting. Other than him and the local cross-racers (Welsh League), I know nobody with a cross bike. The local MTB forum has 150+ members, as far as I know I’m the only one with a cross bike. Nobody in the work commute takes a cross bike either.

Does that data come from a company with a cross bike to sell? Or maybe a gravel racer? 🙄 😆

Btw I genuinely like the GritCX stuff I’m seeing. Please don’t start producing articles about commuting, that’s all.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d be interested to se that data, where does it come from?

Internet.

DavidB
    Free Member

Or the Institute of Physics <runs>

nemesis
    Free Member

😆

FWIW, here in Bristol there are loads of CX bikes being used for commuting and quite a few out on the trails (eg not racing). The racing league seems pretty successful too but I don’t think that the commuting/trail ones cross over much with the racers.

Over in that London, I see loads of CX bikes used as commuters.

It clearly varies region to region.

Mark

lolz @DavidB 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cyclocross (Not commuting), Beards, Axes, Coffee, Rapha tossers, Craft Beer and Tattoos.
    It’s going to be brilliant, so much handwringing and angst on a bike website 🙄

aP
    Free Member

I hope there’ll be tattoos and artisan ale.
    It’ll be like 2004 and single speeds all over again 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Don’t forget the stickers but instead of ‘one xxxxxxxx speed’ some other witty slogan about mud.

rOcKeTdOg

Cyclocross (Not commuting), Beards, Axes, Coffee, Rapha tossers, Craft Beer and Tattoos.

Apart from Rapha, sounds awesome, where do I sign (don’t say FB, I don’t do it)

stever
    Free Member

Or the Institute of Physics <runs>

But carefully cross-referenced by work from Prof Henry Brubaker of the Institute of Studies and Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

IdleJon

MrSmith – Member

I read a US bike mag a few years ago where bikes weren’t mentioned until almost halfway through the mag. Plenty of reviews of chilli sauce, craft beer and so on. Strangely they also did a review of the Giro d’Italia despite being 6 or 7 months after the event.

jameso

If the racing is like this

and the adventure is like this

and there’s a bit of this

then I’m excited to see it. Drop bar bikes on dirt are great.

wwaswas

This is cx too;

monkeychild
    Free Member

Personally I am looking forward to it and hope it’s a breath of fresh air in a stuffy market.

LS
    Free Member

Please send some decent journos out to races and get proper reports written. The BC ones are woeful, they can’t even transcribe a phone interview into anything resembling English.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Grit.cx’ is closed to new replies.