Home Forums Chat Forum Greenhouse heaters

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Greenhouse heaters
  • scud
    Free Member

Any one run a greenhouse heater, and if so, which type and are they expensive to run?

I can see that you get the old paraffin heaters and newer electric ones and wondered what peoples experience of both were? I grow a lot of chillies and the like, and have always just tended to grow new plants from seed, and not tried to overwinter the previous years plants, but I have quite a collection this year of some more interesting varieties and it would be nice to keep some one, and also protect some of my wifes potted plants to, but not if it is going to cost and arm and a leg to heat greenhouse really

zilog6128

https://www.rhs.org.uk/garden-features/heating-greenhouses-efficiently

sounds like a lot of expense & effort! Can you not just bring the plants you want to save indoors?

scud
    Free Member

I would love to bring inside, but i am also remodelling house at the moment (knocked through lounge-kitchen wall, new kitchen and bathroom etc) so house is dusty and half the window ledges missing!

johndoh
    Free Member

So have you managed to get any of your chillies to fruit this year? I have six jalapeno plants, and none of them have provided any chillies (three of the plants are in those fancy-dan self-watering chilli pots and have been fed regularly).

z1ppy

Make you own?

.. he keeps making them better and better on later video’s

scud
    Free Member

So have you managed to get any of your chillies to fruit this year? I have six jalapeno plants, and none of them have provided any chillies (three of the plants are in those fancy-dan self-watering chilli pots and have been fed regularly).

It’s not been a great year, compared to last, but managed to grow 9 varieties, from less hot Fresno, through a few thai types like Chang Rai and then the hotter Orange Habenero, Scotch Bonnet, Trinidad Scorpion etc.

I found this year because we had a warm start, then it went mild and wet for a few months, that the plants themselves grew well, but the fruits didn’t progress, and if it hadn’t been for this “indian summer” and a good September/ October, i would of struggled, still got a lot of unripe fruit on some though.

Same with tomatoes, took ages to fruit, but thankfully once they did then had loads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re not really “heat”, you can’t really heat a greeenhouse (economically anyway). They’re just enough to keep the frost out.

Running cost, say 120W, 12h/day on a timer, about so about 40p/day, about £75 between now and April. Bit less if you remember to switch it off on mild nights, bit more if you have to run it 24/7 through a cold spell.

andy4d

I came on to suggest terracotta pots and tealights but z1ppys video looks a better version. 

woody2000

Line the inside of the greenhouse with bubble wrap to try and keep some heat in? Probably not practical if it’s massive!

disco_stu
    Free Member

Tempted to give that plant pot heater a go next year for my allotment polytunnel as come April the house gets incredibly full of tomatoes and chilli’s that occupy every windowsil at home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.