Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Greek Athlete sent home after racist twitter remark. HUGELY disappointing.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well if a South African is offended we have no argument whatsoever. 🙄

GrahamS

Typical Greeks though eh?

😉

grum
    Free Member

If her mindset was one of a deep seated distain for Africans or for Africans being in her country then the intent of the comment, I would argue, would have been one based on racist foundations. But I, and seemingly no one else has any idea what her mindset or opinion is on this matter so it’s not particularly fair to make an assumption on the intent of her comment.

Well, she supports the Golden Dawn party who are a bunch of nasty racist thugs – so it’s perhaps quite likely that she is a racist.

philconsequence
    Free Member

she looks racist, you can tell by the nose.

yossarian
    Free Member

It seems like a severe reaction at first glance.

Context is everything though and no-one on here appears to know whether that comment would be considered beyond what is acceptable in Greek society. I don’t know either. There has been an upsurge in popularity of far right views in Greece since the financial crisis and I ‘imagine’ that foreigners, particularly immigrants are feeling the brunt of it so perhaps it’s related in some way to that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If her mindset was one of a deep seated distain for Africans or for Africans being in her country then the intent of the comment, I would argue, would have been one based on racist foundations. But I, and seemingly no one else has any idea what her mindset or opinion is on this matter so it’s not particularly fair to make an assumption on the intent of her comment.

I agree with this.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Typical Greeks though eh?

😆

brakes
    Free Member

so this seems to be getting more coverage than the drugs cheats that have been sent home.
    what’s worse, making daft comments on Twitter that gets the PC brigade wetting their pants, or taking dope-masking diuretics which have the same effect?

rkk01
    Free Member

Of course it is racist – as above ^, not overt, but in the intent… 🙄

IIRC, North Wales Police got in a bit of bother a few years ago re racism. One phrase that got a lot of attention was (again IIRC)

Being born in a stable does not make you a horse

Read literally there is no racist content – but we all know that that is not the case, don’t we???

MrsToast
    Free Member

As grum said, it’s the combination of her previously expressed support for the Golden Dawn party, who are Greece’s equivalent of the BNP, accompanied by the comments about there being ‘so many Africans in Greece, at least the mosquitoes of West Nile will eat homemade food’ (the ‘at least’ part suggesting that the Africans don’t offer any other benefit).

grum
    Free Member

But I, and seemingly no one else has any idea what her mindset or opinion is on this matter so it’s not particularly fair to make an assumption on the intent of her comment.

I agree with this.

Except we know that she is a supporter of a party of nasty, racist thugs, so we do know about her mindset on this matter.

As grum said, it’s the combination of her previously expressed support for the Golden Dawn party, who are Greece’s equivalent of the BNP

Considerably more extreme than the BNP from some of the stuff I’ve read.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Except we know that she is a supporter of a party of nasty, racist thugs, so we do know about her mindset on this matter.

I didn’t know that. Now I do it puts the comment in a slightly different light.

My original point still stands though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was hoping for a heavily image-laden thread followed by confused arguments where us lefty liberals weren’t sure whether to be angrier about sexism or racism. With a thread closure by page 5.

You’ve all let me down. 🙁

grum
    Free Member

Earning loud applause at an election campaign rally in Athens, Golden Dawn MP Ilias Panagiotaros said: “If Chrysi Avgi [Golden Dawn] gets into parliament [as polls predict], it will carry out raids on hospitals and kindergartens and it will throw immigrants and their children out on the street so that Greeks can take their place.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/12/golden-dawn-hospital-immigrants-greece

See also:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-05-12/news/31676636_1_golden-dawn-greek-parliament-mosque

I’m sure she’s a lovely girl though.

CountZero

not like years ago when some had faces like blind cobblers thumbs

😆

GrahamS

Well, she supports the Golden Dawn party who are a bunch of nasty racist thugs – so it’s perhaps quite likely that she is a racist.

Fair enough, but if we’re going to start throwing people out the Games because we disagree with their political views then there won’t be very many competitors.

I agree, on that basis it is quite likely she is racist, but unless she actually says something racist (which this statement isn’t, to me) then I don’t think we can or should throw her out.

(the ‘at least’ part suggesting that the Africans don’t offer any other benefit).

I read it as “at least” the mosquitoes feel at home.
    Likewise if it was about midges biting Scots in London as I suggested earlier.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How about midges biting Englishmen in Edinburgh?

edlong
    Free Member

Graham, do you really not see the “at least” as suggesting that that is the only identifiable upside of there being “so many” Africans in Greece?

aracer
    Free Member

I didn’t know that.

Who’s fault is that? The information is easily available if you bother to do even a tiny bit of research. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18987678

My original point still stands though.

That intent is everything? Well given her political views, the intent becomes obvious.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Who’s fault is that? The information is easily available if you bother to do even a tiny bit of research.

For what purpose, so I can argue with you?

That intent is everything? Well given her political views, the intent becomes obvious.

So again, my point still stands.

aracer
    Free Member

Fair enough, but if we’re going to start throwing people out the Games because we disagree with their political views then there won’t be very many competitors.

They’re not – they’re throwing her out because her political views (along with her expression of them in the form of a “joke”) disagree with the Olympic charter.

MSP

loum
    Free Member

If her mindset was one of a deep seated distain for Africans or for Africans being in her country then the intent of the comment, I would argue, would have been one based on racist foundations. But I, and seemingly no one else has any idea what her mindset or opinion is on this matter so it’s not particularly fair to make an assumption on the intent of her comment. A quiet word in her ear by someone and maybe an apology/explanation would have sufficed IMO.

agree too.

But there could also be a further difference between disdain for Africans, and her expressing a view that there are too many in Greece.
    Even if you assume (from her political affiliations) that the comment could have implied she thought this, then it could just as easily be seen as a criticism of the Greek Government’s perceived weak immigration policy. And a political punishment for opposing them.

philconsequence
    Free Member

its not on, i refuse to go to skotland because of such shenannygonz.

kimbers

I thought she had previous on this- supporting the neo-nazi golden dawn party, retweeing some of their stuff etc

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought she had previous on this- supporting the neo-nazi golden dawn party, retweeing some of their stuff etc

I think that sounds a bit sententious there kimbers.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Midges are properly sexist, when t’husband and I went riding Glentress, they barely touched me, but properly nommed his legs. Misogynistic little bar stewards.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

they barely touched me

Midges have no interest in foreplay whatsoever, that’s why they went for Monsieur Toast.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

sententious

That’s a word that doesn’t get used enough IMO.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s a word that doesn’t get used enough IMO.

I agree 😀

Thought of it all by myself.

grum
    Free Member

I agree, on that basis it is quite likely she is racist, but unless she actually says something racist (which this statement isn’t, to me) then I don’t think we can or should throw her out.

I sort of agree, but given the context of her support for Golden Dawn, it’s fairly obvious that there was racist intent – which conflicts with the Olympic values. If you take it out of the context then yes the statement itself doesn’t justify being kicked out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bumpy bumpy

deepreddave
    Free Member

Everything’s racist nowadays innit. The ban’s ok just for being on Twitter tho.

GrahamS

Graham, do you really not see the “at least” as suggesting that that is the only identifiable upside of there being “so many” Africans in Greece?

I hadn’t considered that interpretation till Mrs Toast suggested it.

And as I said, if it was “so many Scots in London, at least the midges feel at home” then I wouldn’t as a Scot be remotely offended.

Then if anything she should be thrown out for that – not this.

(though I do wonder whatever happened to the old “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” premise sometimes).

GrahamS

I sort of agree, but given the context of her support for Golden Dawn, it’s fairly obvious that there was racist intent – which conflicts with the Olympic values. If you take it out of the context then yes the statement itself doesn’t justify being kicked out.

That just sounds chillingly like “thought crimes” to me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”

It gets lazily wheeled out every so often by the professionally un-offended.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Even if you assume (from her political affiliations) that the comment could have implied she thought this, then it could just as easily be seen as a criticism of the Greek Government’s perceived weak immigration policy. And a political punishment for opposing them

You are right and this what Nick griffin argues and he is not a racist and nor are thos nice skin heade dfellas in the Bomber jackets with the convictions who support him and his views.

Intent is alll but , Graham S aside, I have never heard the phrase to many X race here end with a positive note.
    I suppose it could happen in much the same way as one day we could have a STW thread where we dont disuss how attractive she is [ I mean this is an important angle on thie story right?].
    It could happen but it is very unlikely

“thought crimes” to me.

So i can say whatever I like on here and any proisecution for my publicly expressed view would eb a thought crime?
    You can think what you wish as no one can read your mind when you state it publicly it is not a thought.
    Is paedophilia a thought crime if I just promote it?

grum
    Free Member

Even if you assume (from her political affiliations) that the comment could have implied she thought this, then it could just as easily be seen as a criticism of the Greek Government’s perceived weak immigration policy. And a political punishment for opposing them.

If you’re desperately grasping for ways to deny she’s a racist and was making a racist joke, yeah.

That just sounds chillingly like “thought crimes” to me.

Oh do give over – jesus christ! 🙄

Read the Olympic charter/values.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

this is an important angle

Hell yeah!

It’s like having Helga from Allo Allo wearing lycra and jumping into sand for our entertainment.

Oh and:

Junkyard – Member
    Even if you assume…
    …it is very unlikely

That sounds a bit sententious JY.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your TV programmes of choice are just too high brow for me 😉

That should be on my family crest DD

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Greek Athlete sent home after racist twitter remark. HUGELY disappointing.’ is closed to new replies.