Home Forums Chat Forum Great song endings.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Great song endings.
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

theotherjonv

I don’t know if it’s a great ending, especially as it sort of fades out, but the final chord of Plainsong. I love the song, don’t misunderstand but it is beautifully bleak and miserable, for a full 5 mins and 10s, but then – I don’t know enough music theory to know technically what happens – but the end is this dischord, that just as it fades (you need to listen hard, and have it quite loud) sort of ‘resolves’ into a beautiful warm, chord. I think resolve is a proper musical phrase so I’m not sure if that’s an accurate use but I know what I mean.

It’s the hint of watery sunshine on a dreary grey day. It’s putting its arm around you and saying ‘I know life’s shit but it can get better’. I hope it’s an exit poll on July the 5th…

theotherjonv

and another…I love a cover version that changes the original and this fits the bill. Not everyone’s taste , my wife thinks it’s a dirge but for me it’s the same sound as my feeling when I was early 20’s, a sunday evening after a big weekend partying, kicking back with a cold beer and just letting the sun go down. The way it builds, then drops and then comes again (ooh, can I also claim Nimrod from the Enigma variations here)

“If I could see all my friends tonight.

Ewan
    Free Member

The end of ‘Gin soaked boy’ by divine comedy always amuses me.

fasgadh
    Free Member

On vinyl.

easily
    Free Member

Hey Jude. The ending is so good it’s longer than the song.

I do like songs like that – those that end with a long, often nonsensical – repeat. When I Dream by the Teardrop Explodes is another, as is The Great Curve by Talking Heads.

Other examples gratefully received.

colournoise

On the basis that the thing that immediately pops into your mind must be the right answer…

Edukator
    Free Member

Die Arzte did a few. So as were in election mood and the song ends ständig wiederholen, ständig wiederholen, ständig wiederholen, ständig wiederholen… . It’s about politicians always talking the same bollocks

colournoise

Another brilliant final sequence (they cut it off on the single version sadly).

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

This isn’t the best sounding version but I love how the rest of the band are applauding Ed at the end of the song. A beautiful song bookended by wonderful piano. More poignant now that weird Ed isn’t with us.

mjsmke

Diamond Head – Sucking my love.

chriscubed

All in all is all we are

All in all is all we are
    All in all is all we are
    All in all is all we are
    All in all is all we are
    All in all is all we are

…repeat to fade :-)

winston
    Free Member

If you’re talking Beatles, Got to get you into my life has an awesome ending – its basically when the song gets going!

I’m going for Don’t Get Fooled Again

sweepy
    Free Member

sublime

mutley

montgomery
    Free Member

Overkill. Not just one great finish – three great finishes!

vazaha

The end of Airbag, setting up the segue into Paranoid Android, is at least one of the reasons OK Computer is such a masterpiece.

ads678

The end of all Coldplay tunes is great!

creakingdoor
    Free Member

The last 30s or so of To Ramona by Sinead Logan on YT (it’s all in the eyes)

The last note (I think it also resolves) of Allegri’s Miserere. Religious fervour does nothing for me but it has given us some beautiful music (and architecture). Ymmv.

MrBlond
    Free Member

The Altman Brothers’ outro to Layla is (clearly) better than the song

MrBlond
    Free Member

Also this – never seen the video before

chakaping

Also this – never seen the video before

I’ve always wondered whether that was deliberate or not though.

My nomination:

slowoldman

Anne Trulove’s Aria from The Rake’s Progress by Stravinsky.

grimep
    Free Member

I’m going with the end of While My Guitar… played by the all star band at the Rock n Roll Hall of fame induction where Prince takes his guitar off and throws it in the air

Or when Chrissie Hynde throws her harmonica into the crowd at the end of Middle of the Road.

Basically, chucking things

branes
    Free Member

Last track on the album, vinyl obvs.

petefromearth

Just listening to Rachmaninov’s 2nd piano concerto with my dad. He’s the classical fan, not me particularly, but this piece has special meaning to me and gets me a bit teary. The ending of the 2nd movement is absolutely perfect.

kennyp
    Free Member

The closing of Tchaikovsky’s sixth symphony is beautifully sad. Whether he was foretelling his own death I guess we will never know (he probably wasn’t) but it’s so unlike the dramatic ends to most of his other works.

And on a rather different note, the closing few lines of I Went to a Wedding… by Half Man Half Biscuit are just such a brilliant contrast to the rest of the song. You can’t put your foot up in Europe etc.

martinb
    Free Member

Tonight, in Jungleland

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Waderider
    Free Member

Ascension Day by Talk Talk is the best song ever for just getting on with the song ending…..

fazzini

The build up to the crescendo and then ending of Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. One of those pieces of music that makes me sad, teary, ecstatic every time I hear it.

For pure ending, personally, has to be Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture (with cannons)!

Neither of these are ‘songs’ though. 😳

Quite like Stairway to Heaven too.

colp

I think it’s time I had a talk with my kids
    I just tell ’em what my daddy told me
    You ain’t never gonna amount to nothin’

Faith No More – RV

BillMC

Can’t you hear me knocking

Toad live

Happy Jack

Atomizer

Neurosis – stones from the sky ,

won’t spoil it if you’ve never heard the end before

https://youtu.be/NgMeRPooDwo?si=Fw-39WaTnTTjtTRF

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.