Home Forums Bike Forum Great North Trail – how many days and when?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Great North Trail – how many days and when?
  • markyd

I’m searched but I’m not finding much Great North Trail content in the forums (lack of single track). I want to ride the Great North Trail this year and I’m looking for some guidance from anyone that has ridden it, or ridden the Highland sections;

1) Is 14 days a good compromise between keeping the days long without someone of average fitness regretting it. I’ve seen an 11 day (on YouTube), but after plotting it out it seems to contain at least 4 BIG days (150km/2,500m+), especially in the Northern peaks/Dales/Northumberland. The CyclingUK guide doesn’t mention a duration but adding up the lower time estimates for each section total 18 days (this sounds expensive as I’m hoping to take unpaid leave from work).

2) Will midges be bearable in the later part of April (after the Easter Holidays)? I suspect I’ll be camping or using Bothies in the Highlands. Or would you leave it until October (not sure I want to wait that long).

breninbeener

@markyd I would take this enquiry over to bearbones forum if there is no reply on here.

Ian

scotroutes

Don’t let the midge thing put you off. It’s not like those who live in the Highlands stay indoors for 6 months. With a bit of thought and some Smidge you should cope fine.

Late April could still see snow at the Corrieyairack.

May is usually the best month – running into early June. The air is warmer and the days are longer too.

boblo
    Free Member

Aye agreed. May/June best but late September can be good as well if there’s an early frost. ‘Winter’ usually makes some form of appearance in the Highlands in October so plan accordingly.

We did it in two halves; Derbyshire to Edinburgh in September then Edinburgh to Cape Wrath in June – both perfect weather and no issues with beasties.

We averaged 50 miles per day which doesn’t sound much but was enough considering both the terrain and amount of climbing involved. The only schedule change I’d make is to do the first 3 days (to Ingleton on our route) in 4 days rather than three as that is the toughest part of the ride and they are 3 very long days otherwise.

I’d also try and be flexible with timing in Durness if you want to use the ferry as the walk/carry round is a complete b’stard especially in an epic hoolie which we had hence the absence of ferry (read ‘rowing boat’).

intheborders
    Free Member

+1 late May/Jun

I did the Badger in early May this year and it was chilly enough overnight to need to sleep in my down jacket, only had a 2-season bag.

highlandman
    Free Member

April will be zero midgies in the Highlands; they tend to start putting in an appearance around mid-May. Into June and they’re becoming more noticeable and you’ll need to pick camping spots with a bit more care.
    By early September, they are frequently much reduced but not altogether gone.

gallowayboy

I did a great north-ish trail this year, from hebden bridge to tarbet Ness and back to Inverness for the train. Eleven days, it went like this:

1.Hebden to hawes 92k 1858m
    2.Hawes to dufton 58k 1085m
    3.Dufton to kielder 114k 2113m
    4.Kielder to glentress 95k 1275m
    5.Glentress to Stirling 116k 1314m
    6.Stirling to crianlarich 89k 893m
    7.Crianlarich to fort William 78 k 1788m
    8.Fort William to cannich 101k 1343m
    9.Cannich to Evanton 95km 1517m
    10.Evanton to tarbat Ness, nigg ferry, black isle and back 131km 1051m
    11.Evanton to Inverness 63km 818 m
    Couple of short days and no big ones, although I found dufton to kielder hard.

I’d probably want four more days to comfortably do the start to hebden and the bit from garbat to Furness. The GNT would be easier than my route in places, and harder in others. Last week of April first few days of may, hardly saw a midge, one half day of rain, below freezing on 6 nights. I’d happily do it later and cope with midge, but wouldn’t do it earlier in deference to the chance of poor weather. Loved it. Planning on a Scottish c2c2c this year.

Edit I’d echo what boblo says, first few days, specifically the Pennine bridleway, are as hard as anything else I encountered.

markyd

Thanks folks, this is useful info.

Kramer
    Free Member

@boblo what sort of bike did you do it on?

boblo
    Free Member

@boblo what sort of bike did you do it on?

An old On One 456. A 26er no less but shush, don’t tell anyone or the fashion Police will come a calling. My chums were on 29ers which were noticeably ‘better’ but not enough for me to rush out and buy one. I broke my dropper part way through which was a pain but bearable, otherwise no major mechanicals or impediments.

Kramer
    Free Member

@boblo and how many days did it take you in total?

boblo
    Free Member

@kramer 15 days

Kramer
    Free Member

Wow. That seems quite quick on a hardtail?

boblo
    Free Member

@Kramer. Yes on a HT, I’m not sure there’s enough gnarrr for a full suss. We didn’t carry much as staying in digs rather than camping but it’s still quite an undertaking. Particularly the first few days.

Kramer
    Free Member

Ok, we’re planning on doing it over 22 days riding, so that it’s a bit more enjoyable.

markyd

I did it in 11 days in the end. I had planned 12 but rode the 11th and 12th day in one go (my planned over night at the top of Loch Shin didn’t look that nice when I arrived).  I rode it on my 2014 Canyon Lux (29″ 100mm) carrying tent, sleeping bag and matt.  The worst day was Selkirk to Winchburg (beyond Edinburgh).  Headwind over the Pentland hills tested my resolve.  Once you’ve left the peak district most of it would be OK on a gravel bike. Not sure I’d fancy the descent into Fort Augustus on the Gravel bike though.  There’s more tarmac on the Highlands section than I’d expected but it didn’t spoil it.

matt_outandabout

I rode it on my 2014 Canyon Lux (29″ 100mm) carrying tent, sleeping bag and matt.

I’ve no memory of this.

markyd

That took me a couple of minutes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.