Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Greasing pad backs to stop squeal?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Does putting a bit of copper grease at the piston/pads interface reduce squeal or is this a load of %^&* 🙂

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

works for car pads. Bike?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Was recommended this but shaln't waste my time if its a load of old tosh – anyone tried it?

oldgit
    Free Member

Wondered the same thing, so does it work?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i was thinking of trying some of the proper stuff i got from a VW mechanic, it worked loads better than copper grease on the car, it's like a plasticy sticky stuff, i forget the name but it costs a fortune.

iirc most things have been tried before and the risk of getting anything on the braking surface is too high with bike brakes

bent_udder
    Free Member

Coppaslip can work – yes. Bear in mind this was something that used to be the done thing in the days before the Hope Pro lever.

I used to do it religiously, but haven't bothered for a while, and haven't really noticed much of a difference.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My hope m4 with the tech lever sqeal badly in the wet (organics and sintered) but fine in the dry. I guess most of us squeal in the wet?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

squeal has several different causes – copaslip on the back of the pads might help – but a tinsy winsy smear only.

Or spray the whole brake with wd40* it will stop the squeal
    *might just stop the brakes from working as well

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I use Copperslip, and it seems to help mine a lot. Doesn't stop them squealing after going through water, but otherwise, yes, it helps.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Obviously only goint to smear a little on the pistone with the pads in with a little cotton bud etc so I don't contaminate the pad surface. Think I might give it a go since its been quite wet here over the summer 😉

bent_udder
    Free Member

I used to smear a fingertip's worth on the back of pads when fitting them for the first time. As said above, you only need the tiniest dab. It's worth popping the pads out and doing it – far less hassle than mucking around with cotton buds.

foxyrider
    Free Member

OKAY – will try those on my mono mini's first and see as they squeal +++ in the wet and I am using my HT with slicks for my commuter bike at the mo :0 Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Greasing pad backs to stop squeal?’ is closed to new replies.