Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gravity Dropper Modifications
  • wheelie

I bought a 4″ dropper off STW. It appears that it does not have an intermediate position. Has anyone drilled extra holes for intermediate positions? A Google search seems to suggest that it has been done before.

Andy-R

I think (although I might be wrong) that the multi position inner shaft is solid, whereas the two position (up/down) version is tubular. If that’s the case then drilling an extra hole might compromise the strength too much.
    You could just buy a multi position inner, of course.

nickjb
    Free Member

I drilled extra holes in a t-mars which is the same design. Been ok so far. Just check for cracks when greasing it.

Andy-R

Presumably that has a solid inner?

Andy-R

If you’re going to drill an extra hole then try and end up with as good a finish as possible and de-burr well when you’ve finished, to minimise stress risers. Unless you’re drilling it on something like a vertical mill then I’d get to finished size in two or three stages, the final stage only taking out 0.020″, ideally with a drill with less clearance.

qtip

Or just save yourself the bother. I’ve never used the intermediate position on my GD. Partly because it’s not particularly straightforward getting in that position, but mainly because I don’t see the need for any position other than all the way up or all the way down.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think 3 positions is great. All the way up for climbs and road, 30mm drop for general riding, all the way down for tech bits. The mid position that some have is a bit pointless though.

singlespeedstu

Just buy a new inner tube direct from GD.
    They don’t cost much. You could even convert it to a 5″ drop doing it that way.

vmgscot

I find the 1″ drop intermediate position useful… run that most of the time and use fully up for lengthy climbing. I would also suggest getting the 5″ pre-drilled inner.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or just save yourself the bother. I’ve never used the intermediate position on my GD

Not this.

I find the 1″ drop intermediate position useful… run that most of the time and use fully up for lengthy climbing.

This. fully up for climbing, 1″ down for techy/rolling stuff, fully down for gnar.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Dropper Modifications’ is closed to new replies.