Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Gravel v (tough) tourer v … Questions
  • garage-dweller

I believe I might “need” a versatile drop bar bike even though this possibly means I might need to ditch another bike to make room.

I know what I would like to use it for, which is rides from the door, which will take me quickly into some rough country roads and onward into easy rolling countryside on and off road. I particularly want to access this kind of riding for a 2-3 hour evening ride in the week, in the dark when I’m done with work OR over an extended lunch break. I possibly would want to bike-pack with it when restrictions allow but that’s not the primary motivation.

I think I’d like space for and to have some mudguards for minimisation of cleaning.
    I like the idea of some rack fittings but maybe not essential.
    I don’t want a 3 month wait – this is a winter lifestyle improvement tool not something for next summer and I’m an impatient blighter!

I don’t get the concept of 650B wheels in a gravel bike. I ride a 29r and love it, why would I go smaller genuine question (I also have a road bike which clearly has a smaller OD than the 29r)?

So far been looking at…
    Planet X Free Ranger (650b)

Titus Tempest shiny ti

Croix de Fer

Spa – Elan – sportier

I like the look of the Escapade but would have to wait until March so it’s out! I also wondered about a traditional tourer but maybe that’s a smidge too sensible.

I must be missing some stuff but not really knowing where or what to look at to fit the usage brief. I’m definitely not breaching £2k on this and if I could bring in around £1500 I’d be much happier. 🙂

Suggestions and mockery of obvious lack of knowledge welcomed.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Depending on how roughtytufty you want to get don’t forget the Genesis Vagabond. Newly upgraded/incarnated in Reynolds 725 and 1x? Definitely the (joint) most comfortable bike I’ve had (along with a 531ST retro/classic tourer), but the Vagabond can handle anything.

snotrag

I owned a gravel bike for that exact purpose – multi surface rides from the door,and it was superb. I changed to an XC hardtail this year however as I’m moving house shortly to more ‘rolling’ or flatter countryside I’ll be building another gravel bike in 2021.

I would avoid anything intended as a ‘tourer’ as that to me is a bike very much meant to stay on tarmac. My experience is that the Genesis CdF very much is not a gravel bike, for instance.

People will say that a tourer can go off road – a race bike with 23,s can go off road too, it’s just not very pleasant.

Re wheel size – I am a massive cynic and IMO 650b or road plus was pushed by manufacturers with frames which did not nave sufficient frame clearance for suitably sized tyres for proper off road work. Reducing wheel size allowed them to fit the >40mm tyres which I believe are about right in volume for a true gravel bike.

My experience is that 40/45mm tubeless tyres is about the sweet spot, and also to avoid the massively flared bars. I changed from a hugely flared bar to a wider, slightly flared bar and found it better on and off road.

antigee

Maybe look at Sonder’s El Camino range…in a recommend what you have message… I use mine for sealed road and non gnarly gravel touring as that is what is set up for with rack and mudguards but is well behaved on rougher gravel single track if I put my bigger tyre tubeless wheelset on it versatile all day frame …Alpkit used to do a rent one for a day get it knocked off the purchase price if geography works thing

Edit somewhere on STW is a bulky picture thread of people’s set ups

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-adv-9.0-mens-road-bike-2021—large-426990.html with British Cycling 10% discount makes it £1530, only large available right now, other sizes incoming.

ransos
    Free Member

OP, that’s an exact description of what I use my gravel bike for. I have a Pinnacle Arkose and am very happy with it.

jameso

I don’t get the concept of 650B wheels in a gravel bike. I ride a 29r and love it, why would I go smaller genuine question (I also have a road bike which clearly has a smaller OD than the 29r)?

650B works because at the higher speeds over smaller bumps that a gravel bike sees a lot of the time, tyre volume is what’s most important (assuming the wheels aren’t 16″ etc). Larger Wheel OD gives you better roll-over. Both give you 29 or 29+, great off road. 650B is great on a gravel bike as it gives clear volume advantages while keeping wheel weight low and geometry closer to what you’d expect for a quick-feeling drop bar bike.

If you want more off-road ability than 650B offers you’re into 29 x 2″ or more and the next Q is do you still want drop bars or would an XC 29er, maybe a rigid one, be a better bike off-road yet still cover road sections well? If the answer is that you still like the road miles enough to want drops, 650 is a good option. There’s a few drop bar bikes on that 29 x 2″ borderline that aren’t quite 29ers though.

I am a massive cynic and IMO 650b or road plus was pushed by manufacturers with frames which did not nave sufficient frame clearance for suitably sized tyres for proper off road work. Reducing wheel size allowed them to fit the >40mm tyres which I believe are about right in volume for a true gravel bike.

Just a good thing that was revived with tubeless tech. I’ve been riding bikes like this a long time, I made the swap to 650B and haven’t looked back. The lack of frame changes helped get the tyre format out there for sure but part of the benefit of 650B is getting that volume on a bike that keeps the geometry and still fits guards etc. You could go longer overall and have bigger wheels, as above – just gets closer to a light MTB.

w00dster

This would be getting my money, tempted to get one next year. If I hadn’t just ordered a new road bike I’d be after one now.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/adventure-touring-bikes/920/920/p/21996/?colorCode=tan

I like long distance riding, I’ve used my Domane for long adventure rides, tyre volume and gearing is key for me. This appears to hit both of those criteria.
    The 1120 is my dream bike, but it’s a tad expensive for what it is.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I recently took my Whyte Glencoe off road for the first time, loved it.

Wish it had more clearance on the seat stays as it does clog there.

honeybadgerx

I’ve got a free ranger and think it’s brill. Bought it in 700c guise that I use it in most of the time but just got some 650b wheels for it to allow bigger chunkier tyres for over the winter.

joepud
    Free Member

One thing you may find with an out and out gravel bike is a lack of bosses which will limit carry options. I have a Brother Kepler which is a so called “all road” bike so loads of bosses and can take up to a 700×45 or 650x48c. I use mine for similar to you morning rides from the door and longer rides on the weekend when I fancy something different to a mountain bike ride. Original plan this year was some bike packing but lockdown stopped that.

https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/frames/kepler-disc/

kiwijohn

The LBS just got in a Kona Sutra UnLtd. Hot damn, that looks like fun.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I also swapped to 650b on 47mm tyres from 700c with 40mm WTB Nano’s and the difference in comfort and off road ability is significant. Especially around here where it’s very rocky (Peak District)

scotroutes

My gravel bike is my adventure bike is my tourer. #gradventourer

It’s a 12 year old Van Nicholas Amazon which has morphed over the years and does exactly what you want.

I have 3 wheelsets for it. A road set for pure tarmac touring, a CX set with 700c Nano 40s for short whizzes round the local forest and a 650B set with 47mm Byways for general, mixed riding. I’m currently researching another 650×47 tyre option for the somewhat softer terrain we’re dealing with at this time of year. The added volume the wider tyre offers makes a lot of sense on rougher tracks.

It’s had Woodchipper bars fitted for 10 of those 12 years. They excel off-road but I find them great on-road too. They put my hands and arms in exactly the right position for rough descents.

Oh yeah, it’s running a 50/34 front, 11-40 rear at the moment too.

honeybadgerx

If you’ve room for them I’ve found 2.0 WTB rangers a good 650b option, they roll pretty quick on hard pack stuff too.

tuboflard

The LBS just got in a Kona Sutra UnLtd. Hot damn, that looks like fun.

Got the LTD version (not as slack, no dropper) but can still run 29 x 2.25’s. It’s great fun and still quick on tarmac.

MoreCashThanDash

Happy Arkrose owner here, though proper mudguards may need a bodge, it’s on the Arkrose thread (or use Speedrockers)

A mate has just got a Spa Elan and loves it, but I get the impression more road biased than off-road

A mate is looking at going to a Genesis Longitude for these kind of rides and giving up the drop bar/gravel option.

damascus
    Free Member

Are you committed to the drop bars?

How about a fast, light 29er with rigid forks?

For example £999 gets you this

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHSX/on-one-whippet-sram-sx-mountain-bike

Leaves you £500 for some nice carbon wheels and new tyres

boardmanfs18

I don’t why a poster is saying the croix de Fer isn’t a contender. Isn’t it one of the original rough stuff bikes ?

Mines sitting in the garage with 38mm gravelking slicks and full mudguards, rides nicely on smooth bridleways etc and is so comfy on the road.

BigJohn

When I got my first FS bike a year ago I swapped my Cotic Soul with my son for his Charge Duster. At lockdown, I needed a bike that I could ride to Cannock Chase then on Cannock Chase. I put some skinny tyres with knobbly sides on and now have a very versatile bike. Not quite as easy on the road as my Pinarello, not quite as secure on the trails as my Giant Trance, but just the job.

birdage

Always ridden rigid 29ers and cyclo cross and didn’t really get the need for 650b. But having tried them on my 6 year old Tripster they work really well, 42mm a sweet spot for riding local loops in the summer. Just a nicer ride all round, only draw back is the slightly lower BB height. In the Winter the 700s go back on for winter road riding duties.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Arkose owner now about to swap for a Camino Ti as a C2W treat as i use this bike type a lot for exactly the stuff you describe OP.

Just make sure to get something which can take 45c tyres as they are quite lovely both on and off road.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have 45c tyres on an Arkose. Comfy.

martymac

Cube nuroad c62 pro comes in within budget, full carbon, 1×11, grx, takes 40c and mudguards, or 45 without. Weghs 9.1kg, £1999.

kelron
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up the Elan as a comfortable road bike that won’t mind brief detours down bridleways. I’d like to try one first but they’re the other end of the country.

MrSparkle

OP – the Titus is the Goldrush rather than the Tempest, which is another PX one. I lusted after a Goldrush for ages but they were unavailable. I got the Tempest instead. It does the stuff that you want. I like mine.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@garage-dweller Curious why you’d go for the Spa Elan but not their Ti Roughstuff bike; is it the lack of discs?
    What you are looking for is what several of the bikes/frameset in my shed do. My Trek Crockett spare CX race bike has done precisely 1 CX race and then at least 4000 miles of Audax and rough stuff this year. It replaced my Raleigh Maverick Reynolds 631) as the Raleigh was too heavy for CX racing spare bike duties but has tremendous clearance front and rear and is a very dependable bike to ride off road. I also built a GT Grade for my wife. Again it will do rough stuff and good road miles.

Guards

Raleigh kit

Bothy trip

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’d think hard about the gearing you want. I found a 2x really useful on both the Vagabond and the Longitude as doitalls. The old tourer has a triple setup and that’s even better for massive and varied trips.

I like the simplicity of 1x and even singlespeed but it all depends on the course for your horse.

garage-dweller

Thanks for all the replies will read properly later once kids are (eventually) in bed later tonight.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I don’t why a poster is saying the croix de Fer isn’t a contender. Isn’t it one of the original rough stuff bikes ?

I was going to ask the same thing. Always thought it was exactly the type of bike the OP wants.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Get one of these

This could be ace, I really want one. I like the Trek 920 but this has got the dynamo hub, looks ready for a proper adventure. Bit more on the MTB/off-road side of things maybe

Edited to add it’s the new Decathlon 920

didnthurt

Had a Day-One, rode well but only had one gear.

Croix de fer, amazingly good commuter and winter all round bike but unbelievably dull, heavy and lifeless to ride.

Trek Crockett Cross bike, so much fun to ride on and off road. Lively but capable.

I’d be looking at the Checkpoint which I believe is almost the same geometry/weight as the Crockett but with mud guard and rack mounts.

didnthurt

Now that is one sexy bastard of a bike! Cheap too.

https://www.tiso.com/bicyg1al0156/trek-checkpoint-alr4-gravel-bike-red

didnthurt

If I was to go proper touring tomorrow I’d use my Stooge mountain bike. It’s lazy attitude would really suit touring. Not a fast option though.

p7eaven
    Free Member

That Touring 920 looks kitted out very well.

https://bikepacking.com/news/readers-rig-cesars-riverside-touring-920/

mikertroid
    Free Member

Yes, the Touring 920 has caught my eye too…. love the dynamo integration!

LAT

Love, Forever Changes

60’s west coast usa. same producer as the Doors, but a different sound. it’s a great album.

i believe that they had orchestral arrangements in pop music before the Beatles.

didnthurt

Just be aware that a proper touring bike will very likely be overly built to be able to carry luggage, so might ride like crap when not loaded up.

My brief understanding of what a commuter, Road, Cross, Gravel and touring bikes are and their differences (this is a generalisation so there will be bikes and do things a bit differently).

Road bike

Light weight bikes with narrow tyres and drop handlebars. Made for going fast on the road. They tend to have low bottomed brackets, steep head angles (quick handling), big gears and a steep (arse up and head down) riding position. Great fun on roads. Generally can fit up to 28mm tyres.

Gravel bike

Like the above but the tyres clearances will be bigger, the gears slightly easier, geometry slightly slacker as to handle better off road. Will have light luggage carrying In mind but ultimately are about covering distance at speed but on rougher roads than the road bike. Great fun on rough, fire and gravel roads but can get out of their depth off road pretty quickly. Can come with 650 or 700 wheels. Generally you can fit up to 45-50mm tyres.

Cross bikes

Cross bikes tend to be like a road bike (ie built lightweight and have drop bars) but are built for racing so can have quick handling, higher bottom bracket, easier to carry (more horizontal toptube, possibly even flattened on the underside). Don’t expect luggage or mudguard fixing points or in some very racy ones any bottle cage mounts. Ok on the road but come alive as soon as you get one into some muddy single track. So much fun! But can be fragile and not very comfortable (although there are exceptions to this). Gearing wise they are generally not as steep as a road bike but still pretty big for proper off-road. Also get out of their depth pretty quickly on technical off road. Generally can fit up to about 40mm tyres.

Commuter

Built to take abuse daily. Weigh a ton, handle like crap but will rarely let you down. Gearing, geometry, bar type are a deeply personal thing here. Personally I’d pick a singlespeed/cross or hub geared flat barred bike for this task. Generally you can fit up to 50mm tyres or even bigger.

Tourer

Built to carry luggage and rider with a comfortable riding position for all day long. Speed is not it’s priority nor is fun handling. Can come with 26″, 650 or 700 wheels. They are heavy but strong. Tyres sizes are all over the place with these but expect to be able to for 40mm+ tyres.

Of the bike types above I picked the Cross bike (custom build with 1 x 11) as I prioritise lightweight, fast fun over practicality and comfort. In my opinion the OP wants a gravel bike as they’re a really good all rounder.

kerley
    Free Member

You said it was a generalisation and it is just that with the differences not being as clear as your generalisation states. For example, a commuter doesn’t have to weight a ton or handle like crap but it does benefit from being dependable.

What the large amount of options does mean is that you can list your requirements and then pick a bike that fits and not worry about what category someone has put them in. For example I ride track bikes as they fit my requirements of handling, simplicity, light weight but they never get anywhere near to seeing a velodrome.

garage-dweller

Thanks for all the suggestions, most are sadly out of stock and no delivery dates, although March seems a common theme.

I am leaning to the quicker and sharper end of the spectrum with a bit more thought about it. The reality is 80-90% of use will be sub 3 hours at a time. If I get it right then the road bike and hybrid might both be on the way out and the 456 can get made into a utility bike. Leaving the FS and a fastsish gravel bike covering all my other riding.

I’m still looking at that Whippet rigid 29r and wondering if I “have” to have a drop bar bike or whether flat bars, some spare light and fast narrower tyres might make it fast enough to make the ride out from home seem ok🤔. I’m sure the answer is not both unless I’m prepared to sell the FS bike. My instinct is drops but that doesn’t make it right. Need a bit of map research today on road/trail ratio. 🙂

Also spotted these, which I can get locally.

Genesis Vapor

NuRoad race this would have to lose the kickstand I think which seems a weird addition.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Gravel v (tough) tourer v … Questions’ is closed to new replies.