Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Gravel drop bars – more flare
  • scruff
    Free Member

I have some Ritchey WCS Venturemax, 24deg flare 440 or 460 wide. I dont really like using the drops, feels a bit too low and cant grab the brakes easily, but the flat bit feels too high ( and too narrow), hoods are parallel with the top bend bit. Im used to 780 mtb risers and never had a road bike.
    Im thinking of trying something even more flarey, like 30deg, any thoughts / suggestions. Also would like more space to put 3 lights, bell and cycle computer 😉

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have some Controltech 500mm wide “riser” drops. No flare though. Crap for mounting stuff too due to the bend at the clamping zone. Comfortable on the hoods.

Ideally I’d like same width across the hoods, no rise and a bit of flare.

howarthp
    intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve these in 460:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOBB/on-one-brian-handlebar

Work well, obvs no idea on sizings vs yours.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

That Kitchen Sink bar looks perfect.

duncancallum

Went alpkit bombers from ritchys fantastic on the drops not quite as comfy on the hoods but I’m miles happier with them.

djflexure

Ritchey have some new gravel bars – Beacon
    More flare, less drop
    Flatter top
    Just installed a set but not ridden them

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are Woodchippers out of fashion? They’ve worked well for me but I am used to drop bars.

squealer
    Free Member

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/products/the-coast-handlebar

I have these in the 520 size, really like them.

rOcKeTdOg

Ritchey have some new gravel bars – Beacon
    More flare, less drop
    Flatter top
    Just installed a set but not ridden them

Bought a pair of those when venturemax were unavailable, done a few hundred miles on them & switched back to venturemax which I find much more comfy on the drops.

lillski74
    Free Member

Salsa woodchippers – nice & wide

scruff
    Free Member

Some seem to have the drop angled out more perpendicular, like the woodchippers, so its not just a big flare which seems to be just making them wider. I think I want something like woodchippers but wouldn’t that be even harder to grab the brakes?

scruff
    Free Member
    scotroutes

Some seem to have the drop angled out more perpendicular, like the woodchippers, so its not just a big flare which seems to be just making them wider. I think I want something like woodchippers but wouldn’t that be even harder to grab the brakes?

I’ve been using Woodchippers for years. No problems braking (and I have Medium hands).

montgomery
    Free Member

I’m thinking of throwing a bit of money at my monstercross Lava Dome next year, and that Redshift bar looks just what I’m after…

GeForceJunky

Salsa Cowchipper 52cm here. Cheap at £45, wide, flare is good but the height difference between the top and drops is too much, so would not recommend. I choose to have the brakes in a good position for the drops, but this means the hood position is pretty rubbish. I have small hands, so Shimano road brakes seem to have too much throw for me really.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m wondering about going wider on my Arkrose, the stock bars seem a bit narrow for confident control bouncing downhill at any speed, but I’m unsure about flared bars – how does the flare affect shifting?

anagallis_arvensis

I’m thinking of throwing a bit of money at my monstercross Lava Dome next year, and that Redshift bar looks just what I’m after…

I have an old lava dome in the garage…..any chance of pics of yours?

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of salsa woodchippers sat in a shelf gathering dust. I bought them but never fitted them. Message me if anyone is interested.

scotroutes

how does the flare affect shifting?

Not at all.

P1010496 by Colin CaddenFlickr2BBcode

IvanMTB
    Free Member

feels a bit too low and cant grab the brakes easily

If you are having that issue on VentureMAX any other handlebars will only exaggerate it. It is matter of drop being too deep for your hands. And VentureMAX is already very shallow.

Try Ritchey Beacon. More flare less drop. For my small hands going from VentureMAX to Beacon was good. Finally can reach levers riding on the drops 😀

Cheers!
    I.

epicyclo

I have tried a large variety of bars for offroad.

Like intheborders, I use the On-One Brian. It has the advantages of a shorter drop and reach, so it works better for offroad IMO.

On my monstercross I used Midges which are wide, but I don’t think you need a lot more width for gravel than road – unless it’s to make up for handling issues.

Slightly OT, why are most bars black these days? Does no one like the gleam of polished alloy anymore?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Does no one like the gleam of polished alloy anymore?

Nope, noone sadly 🙁

Hence I have friend of mine stripping and polishing Genetic Digest 480 for me, as black wasn’t sitting well with my aesthetics…

Cheers!
    I.

scotroutes

Polished alloy? Good god man. What sort of cheapskate do you take me for?

snotrag
    IvanMTB
    Free Member

https://www.funnmtb.com/products/g-wide/

G-Wide, nice, wide bars. Drop just much too much for my small hands. Used it for probably around 14 months or so and finally sold in September or around…

Cheers!
    I.

montgomery
    Free Member

I have an old lava dome in the garage…..any chance of pics of yours?

Built up on the cheap in Feb, spares or second hand bits. 27.5″ wheels, 2×9 Sora/XT.

It’s a c.2006 frame with sliding dropouts.

I cobbled it together to test the concept, and like it enough to spend money when I’ve worn out the tyres and drivetrain over winter, hence my interest in new bars. Current thinking is to go for thinner/knobblier tyres, and possibly a 1×11 drivetrain (I can get the same ratios using one of those big Deore cassettes and a 40t chainring).

easily
    Free Member

I really like the look of those Ritchey Beacon bars, @IvanMTB @djflexure .

I’ve been looking for something new, and that bar seems to fit the idea that was in my head. I’m riding an 2018 Arkose 3, and I like just about everything about it, but I rarely use the drops as a) they don’t feel wide enough, and b) I can barely reach the brakes. I’ve adjusted them to the smallest reach, which helps but means they touch my fingers when pulled.

I don’t see how I’ll ever get a chance to give the Beacons a try at the moment, and I hate buying the wrong thing, so maybe you could give me a little review of how they feel/work. Any problems fitting them? What is your favourite and least favourite thing about them?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Where are you located mate? Might be, we can arrange something…

My only complaint to Beacon is it’s not wide enough for my likings… 520, like VentureMAX XL would be ideal for my taste…

Cheers!
    I.

djflexure

Used mine for first time today – I can post some pics in a bit. I normally use a 44 but went 46 as the hoods angle in. Wide enough for me. Flatter tops are very comfortable. Angled hoods actually provide a more natural position. The drops are noticeably shallower and give me what I wanted. The flare seems spot on for descending and I have no issues changing gear or braking in the drops. Pleased with them.

easily
    Free Member

Thanks you two.

Ivan, I’m in Brighton at the moment – I think that’s a fair way from you isn’t it? Nice offer though.

My main concern is the angle that the brakes got, though djflexure says this is not a problem, which is makes me more confident.
    The other things is that the drop is so slight. I like the idea of a shallow drop, but also want to feel like I’m in a racier position.

I think maybe I’ll give it a try. Half my concern is that I’ve never put bar tape on before 🙂 I’m sure I’ll manage.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, Brighton in not exactly for afternoon coffee ride distance from South Yorks xD

If you want more racy position don’t let shallow drop deter you. Just slam your stem down or even revers for negative rise and you will be all racing.

That’s what I’ve done with mine. Spacer on top of stem instead of below and negative rise.

Beacon Comp is on the verge of 40 quid posted, so not megabucks. I’m serial handlebars hoarder and buyer and so far Beacon gave me the nicest position.

Went through quite a few. On-One Midge, Genetic Digest 440 and 480, Alpkit Bomber, Ritchey VentureMAX, Funn G-Wide, Origin8 Gary and original dirt drop bar WTB/Spesh RM2.

Beacon is for me by far the best I’ve tried so far.

On the other hand such a exposure to flared handlebars left me feeling terribly uncomfortable on standard drop bars, so much so that I have VentureMAX on my road bike now and not looking to go back to “normal”.

Cheers!
    I.

easily
    Free Member

You’ve convinced me.

I’m glad I asked as well, @djflexure made a really good point about maybe needing wider bars because of the angled in hoods – I’ll have to have a little think about that.

At the risk of becoming tiresome could you tell me where you saw them at the price you mentioned? Cheers.

djflexure

@easily
    Hope this helps

No1

No2

No3

afrothunder88

@djflexure – what mudguard is that please? Cheers

djflexure

53 Bluemels in matt black – just fitted the rear

easily
    Free Member

Those are good pics thanks, and a good-looking bike.

Now I want your mudguards as well 🙂

funkmasterp

The spank vibrocore drops look pretty good. I’m contemplating getting some to replace the stock ones on my Fugio

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Gravel drop bars – more flare’ is closed to new replies.