Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 360 total)
  • Grand Designs…..
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Won’t someone think of the heating bills?!!?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Won’t someone think of the heating bills?!!?

My thought too.

lister

That is proper horrible.
    How much has that cost them??? To live in a warehouse??

I repeat my mentally ill comments from a previous week…ffs.

lister

No really, HOW GOPPING IS THAT HOUSE?????????

brakes
    Free Member

it’s like a big farm greenhouse with a posh kitchen in and some large cardboard boxes piled up at the end.
    I hope it leaks.

warton
    Free Member

it is horrendous, everything about it looks and feels awful.

matt_outandabout

So the loo is next to and visible from dining table??? 😯

warton
    Free Member

make it a third of the size, and have an incredible garden?

lister

‘A real architectural adventure into the unexpected’

Bag o’ shite more like…

It gets worse the more I look at it.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I like it, I like industrial, I don’t like lilac industrial.

marvincooper

truly horrible. pretentious wnkers

matt_outandabout

No.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, I thought it was utter crap, and so did Mes Feet

roger_mellie

Why try and ‘preserve’ an ugly industrial building of no value? Should’ve removed the old crap completely, propped up the neighbouring walls and started from scratch.
    Totally gopping.

revs1972
    Free Member

Kevin, cut the pretentious bullsh*t
    What you are trying to say is its a right f**kup.
    Agree that the columns should have been left in place and a new frame designed to “freestand” inside it with a few ties back to existing.
    I pity the poor drafty who had to draw that !!
    And again when he had to redraw it as the architects survey was out of date !!
    I imagine the planning application insisted that rhey had to replace old with a new copy as the final thing just looked like a spruced up copy.
    The worktop was pretty impressive though

andyl
    Free Member

I hope the neighbours have declared the income from the use of their gardens now they are on TV.

And yup, I am in the hate it camp.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Nice for working late at the office !

porlus
    Free Member

Dealt with architects a few times in my various jobs. Some of the designs they come up with are garbage, and simply wont work. So its up to the sub contractor draughtsman, usually me, to come up with a working solution. Thankfully im out of having to deal with architects, and now into designing proper fabrication stuff.
    Not bad looking building, but one think I noticed. She went on about how much insulation they have used. But it looked like the roof was single skinned. Unless I missed something.

revs1972
    Free Member

Yeah , with a job like that we would allow for a full survey in our price. I drew a job for elite a whole back that was fairly complicated in a tight irregular shaped existing space. They had a proper job survey done and it fitted perfectly. Nice when jobs go like that.

Sandwich

My experience of architects is they are generally good at vision. Daily detail and construction method though can elude them. Eg A school extension where it was not possible to install the atrium glazing economically and safely; insistence on mass concrete foundations 6 feet deep in ground that was all-in ballast! 2 examples from many.

matt_outandabout

She went on about how much insulation they have used. But it looked like the roof was single skinned. Unless I missed something.

I agree, it seemed a case of chuck on some panels, fill in a few awkward bits with rockwool and JD. Bet it is drafty and cold in the main area…

muddyground
    Free Member

It just didn’t seem that original an idea either really – house built inside a big barn? Not been done before? Possibly not in Camden, but I bet there are a few in any big county….. Wonder if our Kev will feature some scally-wag farmer and his “hidden inside a hay bail” house to get around planning any time soon? They’re the real clever, not some can’t-measure-for-toffee / “what’s rust?” architect chucking over a million at a shed.

Couldn’t see any roof insulation either – may explain why our Kev kept two jackets on when filming the final bit. Did like the cheapness of the kitchen work surface though. As for the toilet!

tracknicko
    Free Member

cooling rather than heating would be the issue imo.
    who wants to live in a greenhouse/warehouse? and then where do you hide from the heat? in a cardboard box propped up in the corner.

shite.

porlus
    Free Member

If that roof is single skinned then. Condensation might be a problem for them.

KonaTC

From the off I thought this one was going to turn out alright, nice couple, plenty of cash, he is an architect, great space and very considerate neighbours.

But it all unravelled from there, the site survey’s (they admitted to 3) are a complete disaster, the poorly designed steel work doesn’t fit, the roof lantern doesn’t fit, windows and doors don’t fit they damage the neighbours property out stay their welcome on their neighbours property, I thought they got of likely at £500 per month!

One positive though the asbestos roof is removed but even that’s bitter sweet as they think some ‘bodge tape’ and plastic sheeting is enough to protect their neighbours house. Naïve or arrogant?

What sealed it for me was Kevin comments that he was jealous of their concrete worktop after they admitted spending £1.1m

I think the researcher for this show are losing they way, Grand Designs use to be about building of architectural worth, not an oddly shaped factory unit with some plywood boxes in it.

Might start watching the last 5 mins before deciding to commit to a whole hour of what has become a naff TV slot filler of a program

psling
    Free Member

That was a particularly difficult site with all sorts of potential problems and it looked as if someone had already taken it on and decided for whatever reason to get out and sell on. These guys took it on complete with a set of existing site plans which they chose to run with rather than do their own; their first mistake! They then seemed to rely on the steel fabricators/window fabricators/builders working from drawings without appearing to check actual site dimensions as the job progressed; their second mistake!!
    As an architect, he may already have a portfolio of award winning designs but he seemed to suffer from a common architect failure – no hands-on real world experience of materials and how they work and fit together on site. Plus, although he appointed a contract manager for the internal pods, they really should have got a proper and experienced contract manager for the main project. Having said all that, we only get to see what the producers want us to see…
    Interesting site with so much potential but a thumbs down from me on this one.

TatWink
    Free Member

This had so much potential but fell down in so many areas, not least the fact they will boil in the summer and freeze in the winter. It may as well have been a conservatory.

I think sheer pig headed’ness saw them through and while I will not character assasinate they seemed the typical “lah di da” types that try this sort of exercise, essentially fail and then continue to “gush” to all and sundry.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

She went on about how much insulation they have used. But it looked like the roof was single skinned. Unless I missed something.

Even just getting to modern building regs requires a fair bit so I can’t believe the roof was single skin. There wasn’t much evidence of a thick roof externally though either. Likewise, stuffing rockwool into timber frame is a bit rough and ready. Air tightness test is compulsary now as well which will have been interesting with the 30mm gaps around the doors and windows….

It’s probably not as bad as it looked – even with the piss poor job they appeared to be doing it will probably be far better insulated and airtight than most of our houses. Plus a lot of their walls are party so warm on the far side. The site meant that even with the large windows there’s likely not too much solar gain. I can’t imagine it’ll be cheap to heat but much better than you’d expect.

nwilko
    Free Member

rich architect in airy fairy shocker..
    so impressed with they way they can spend £500k on their house but not are unintrested in ensuring their neighbours roof is fixed properly asap..

stupid house, horrible people, waste of time..

avdave2

Another one with a shed full of money spent and no view. Better than the hole in the ground though. It’s going to be hard to beat the one on Skye.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I forgot just how annoying this silly tart was!!

The basement’s about to flood -ha ha!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Why the repeats? This was seen last year.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Is it a catch-up where the last 5 mins is our kev going back to see how they got on?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Righty ho. I’ll flick back over in 10. 😀

jfletch
    Free Member

A catch up one from ages ago is fine but this is just a repeat. Nothing will have changed in a year FFS.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Eco house, eh?
    *Goes looking for dictionary*

dropoff

How can someone you have never met be so totally annoying ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I liked the wall construction.

However it doens’t seem to suit them. They should be in a ramshackle old place not that modern classy thing.

jfletch
    Free Member

Big fan of the lawn!

ocrider

Big fan of the lawn!

Didn’t hold up too well, did it.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 360 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs…..’ is closed to new replies.