Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 360 total)
  • Grand Designs…..
  • Harry_the_Spider

I watched it last night and it left me cold, but it is what they wanted.

Personally I would feel bad if I made my car spend the night in it, let alone my family.

That barn that they did was nice but the compoboard fittings were a bit stark. Each to their own and all that.

Last weeks with the boxes built on site was much more my thing.

ocrider

I like the building as an object, but couldn’t live there myself. Besides it looking like something my local council would commission, we have these things called children and even as a couple you’d need someone with an OCD to keep the place clean, or merely to keep their sunglasses collection tidy.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I thought it looked like two freight containers badly stacked on top of each other

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevie750

does anyone have a link for the treehouse

geetee1972
    Free Member
    Markie
    Free Member

Anyone else going to the home improvement show at Olympia this weekend?

molgrips
    Free Member

That barn that they did was nice but the compoboard fittings were a bit stark. Each to their own and all that.

Yeah that messed with the lines, I thought, and the idea of clean-ness. Then again I R not minimalist. IT would’ve looked stunning with the boarding painted flat white. Or off-white.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Damn expensive boathouse this week, with posh nimby’s not happy about it

But had to laugh at them employing the ex-husband as architect only for him to bugger off during demolition works!

That exposed re-bar was a bit naughty though

davidjones15
    Free Member

Never have I wanted people to fail more in my life.

P20

They do seem very selfish. Laughed at the ex doing one

stucol
    Free Member

Let’s build a house right next to a river. I know, let’s also have some of it below the water table.

Keeping a bucket handy may be a good idea !

davidjones15
    Free Member

😯 For the first time we have a grand fail. Ugly, out of place, not an ounce of eco, selfish and just down right ignorant people with too much money. No justification for that thing!

treaclesponge
    Free Member

For the first time we have a grand fail. Ugly, out of place, not an ounce of eco, selfish and just down right ignorant people with too much money. No justification for that thing!

This. Hatefully selfish people. Hope someone bricks the windows.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s amazing, sometimes I’m glad I live in the 21stC.

teef
    Free Member

Looks amazing – much better than the dull traditional dross either side.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I couldn’t stand them, but did quite like the house.

lister

Strangely I didn’t dislike the house, it wasn’t as big as I thought it would be and the cream exterior helped blend it in.

No where near as bad as the shipping containers last week.

I did dislike the people intensely though, he’s going to have to fork out a lot of cash for botox etc as she is SO anti-aging!

brakes
    Free Member

it reminded me of a hotel I stayed in in Queenstown, New Zealand. The rooms were like modular appartments all stuck together and looked out onto the Lake.
    Amazing when you’re inside looking out, but from the outside looking in they looked a bit glass boxy. no soul, just sterile. clichéd like an infinity pool.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I really liked it, best GD in a while. The chocolate boxes along the river bank look better for being broken up by something contemporary.

retro83
    Free Member

Quality of the finish looked good but it annoyed me how out of place it looked.

I think you can get away with that if you create something wonderful, but to me it looked like a couple of static caravans plonked on the edge of a river.

jfletch
    Free Member

You have got to laugh at the NIMBYs. I wonder what the neighbours said 60 years ago when they erected their mock tu-geori-wardian monstrosities?

Even if the finished building isn’t to your taste I think the quality of the design and execution gives it permission to be there. The narrow minded people next door would do well to try to recognise that, rather than constantly making themselves miserable through their own pettiness and belligerence.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Neat.

Klunk
    Free Member

chavtastic quantities of TVs

oliverd1981
    Free Member

lucien – Member
    Uncle Kev obviously agrees as he hasn’t made her pregnant like most other ladies on the show.

I assuming you don’t mean he’s some kind of Neo-Savilian womb- worrier, more that his visit is a joyous portent of fertility, virtually guaranteeing the imminent potter patter of tiny feet, much like purchasing a 5 Diva or a sports coupe.

pjm84
    Free Member
    psling
    Free Member

Plagiarism?? – the link you give is the same house; any links to what has been plagiarised?

Have to admit I like the design; it makes good use of the site and is an interesting shape, especially the roof line and the use of breaks in the long elevations. It appears overpowering because it is forward of neighbouring houses but then it’s replacing a property on the same line. More so than the property at the start of this thread, I think a C21 design is an interesting development in the setting.

As for the personalities – the production of Grand Designs is as much about the people as it is about the designs. That’s showbiz 😕
    strangely, I found her quite attractive… 😳

sadexpunk

strangely, I found her quite attractive… 😳

i had a moment when i heard her name was lysette that i wondered if it was lysette anthony, the actress from the eighties as she had a bit of that look about her. i figured shed be about that age now. a quick google dashed that thought but reminded me how yummy LA was 🙂

pjm84
    Free Member

The link is for the house.

I have done this “butterfly” , “kung fu*” architecture with Argeton type cladding (Its not Argeton!) numerous times in the past on commercial buildings. Starting appearing in the 90s. The same with radiused roof etc.

We have a similar use of materials / roof style on a Student accommodation block locally.

* think of a hand chop in Kung Fu and that is how the roof is expressed.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

House looks good, f00k the neighbours as they look like they will be all dead in a few years any how.

davosaurusrex

I reckon those two are swingers. Ugh.

messiah
    Free Member

She seemed very much in charge… I suspect he spends much of his spare time tied-up in the stark-below-water-level-basement in a gimp mask.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Plagiarism – I have done this “butterfly” , “kung fu*” architecture with Argeton type cladding numerous times in the past

And had it never been done before when you did it? Everything’s a remix – I didn’t see any claim that there had never been a building that looked like this before.

Haven’t watched the show yet but looks much more interesting than what was there before. Finish looks good and materials seem sensible given the damp environment. Interior layout looks an interesting way to break up a long thin house. Do they really have three ovens in the kitchen?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

As an aside, my company’s exhibiting at Grand Designs Live this weekend at the NEC so if anyone wants some freebie tickets, drop me a mail!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Its interesting what everyone thinks as it is quite a contentious house, but nothing that hasn’t been done before. She wound me up from the start….felt like giving her a slap through the telly!

Also noted that they had an £850k budget and over spent by £200k. Ouch!

stormtrooper
    Free Member

I loved the house and didn’t think it stood out as much as it could have. I couldn’t believe how narrow-minded were the neighbours were as well. I laughed out loud when one of them said “I hope it floods on ’em”.

T666DOM

You’d have thought the neighbours would have been more put off by the delapidated, rotting boathouse lowering the tone than house that replaced it. I thought it looked ace

sharkbait
    Free Member

I liked the place but not nec. the owners. I laughed when KM was talking to them about how un-eco the place is and they just said ‘yes the emotional stress has been terrible’….. **** off!
    The only thing that I’m not sure about is that all the neighbours houses seem to be set back from the river whilst the new one is right up to the bank so it is far more prominent.

elzorillo
    Free Member

The only thing that I’m not sure about is that all the neighbours houses seem to be set back from the river whilst the new one is right up to the bank so it is far more prominent.

Same here

davidjones15
    Free Member

It’s where the old boathouse was, isn’t it?

jfletch
    Free Member

It’s where the old boathouse was, isn’t it?

Yep

Also the rotting boat house shed next door with its rusty garage door was a proper eyesore. But at least it looked old.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 360 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs…..’ is closed to new replies.