Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 360 total)
  • Grand Designs…..
  • stevie750

Yeah I wondered about that “tail” thingy, was it for parking the car under, looked a little shallow for that.

+1

I like the house and thought the builder was excellent, just got on with it.

First grand designs I have seen in ages where the couple came across as proper nice and not ****.

davidjones15
    Free Member

And I didn’t know but it seems the more air tight your house the less you pay for fuel? is this correct, I was part way through a G&T at the time??

Have a look at this.

http://www.passivhaus.org.uk/standard.jsp?id=122

miketually
    Free Member

I really liked last night’s build. Small, practical, wooden. The interior was a bit stark for me, but it’s their house not mine.

Storage: I think there’s a space behind the mezzanine bedroom where the bathroom is, which might also have contained a dressing room?

JEngledow
    Free Member

While looking for more info on last nights build I came across THIS (Sorry if it’s already been done as the news story is from Feb 2011, but this is the first time I’ve seen it!)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I found last nights episode quite inspiring actually, nice couple, nice house, nice location, not my choice of interior but when you have the dramatic landscape outside the windows are like interactive decor. The tail thingy might be their wood store?

The tower from 2 weeks ago; the two guys had ambition and did the right thing, but i would not want to live in that kind of house. The basement house was odd and not worth the effort or money IMO – Vanity project nothing else.

KonaTC

Fab people, fab location, fab builder, fab community but I didn’t get it. Separate workshop/studio, mezzanine bedroom above a kitchen, lack of storage, no view from upstairs…

Each to their own I suppose

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Really liked last night’s episode – it’s one of the first for a while that hasn’t felt like an hour-long advert for a house that you know is going to be put on the market as soon as the programme airs…

Bimbler
    Free Member

Isle of Skye looks horrifying – not sure I could live anywhere with no trees. Good episode though, although after the last two weeks it filling the 47 minutes seemed a bit of a stretch. Such a shame about the lack of view from the bedroom.

maccruiskeen

but I didn’t get it. Separate workshop/studio,

Completely sensible to have the studio separate from the house – not exactly short of space on the plot, but also I’d like more than a door between the dust and the solvents in my studio and my house. (About 2 miles does it in my case 🙂 )

I’d rather not have the square footage of an attached studio added to my domestic rates valuation either (especially not my one, its 4000sqft)

davidjones15
    Free Member

lack of storage, no view from upstairs…

I think there was plenty of storage, they didn’t show much of the downstairs bedroom and bathroom and the lack of upstairs view was a budgetary constraint, would have been nice to have had an upstairs view.

righog
    Free Member

Just watching it now. That’s the type of builder you want.

Truly nice people as well.

My wife is giving me the “dont get any more ideas” Look.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Kona TC – Member
    Separate workshop/studio,

I thought similar. Having to don oilskins and a sou’wester every time they want to go out to or come back from the workshop would get boring.

Having a covered route from the house to the workshop is far better.

Dolcered

First one in ages I’ve liked. I don’t usually go for the modern look boxy ones. For once a down to earth budget too. I don’t think the lack of view from the main bedroom would bother me when its just a short trip down the stairs.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the lack of upstairs view was a budgetary constraint

they mentioned that, a view from upstairs would have been nice but they just couldn’t afford it. probably something to do with neither of them being “something in the city”, but one being a bus driver, the other a teacher and they’d saved for 10 years.
    not keen on the whiteness of inside, but i can see that as being something to do with catching the quality of the light – it was trotternish iirc and light there really is amazing
    cracking build though, and no expensive artisan types, just a bloke with a can do attitude

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m not sure why so many people want a view from the bedroom, my mums house has fabulous views, but I certainly don’t sit in bed looking at them, but I do enjoy them from the lounge and kitchen!

bland

Grrr wrong thread

Wheres the garage gone???

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

LOL! I am no homophobes but I think they are funny people.

Funny in what way, exactly? Care to expand on that statement?

You see the husband and husband bought and rebuilt themselves a glory tower pointing to the sky with a hot tub fit for several people … OOoooouu!

The wife and wife built themselves a rather flat carpeted roof that will grow into bush if not trim properly … OOouuuuu!

Coincidence or what? That’s why they are very funny people …

cynic-al – Member

LOL again, not covering yourself with glory as ever chewkw.

In fact you come across as narrow minded and stupid.

Merely my observation and not seeking glory or fame like you unfortunately.

LOL! Yes, I am like you narrow minded and stupid. Maggot! Now bow down and ask for forgive and lick my shoes clean while I step on you. Then thank me for setting you right. 😆

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Only caught up with this last night. Great build. Liked them the moment she announced she’d got a job a bus driver. A pretty effective way of getting to know people.

I’d rather not have the square footage of an attached studio added to my domestic rates valuation either (especially not my one, its 4000sqft)

Rates valuation? Does it work differently in Scotland? Council Tax is just banded on property value which presumably would be the same whether the workshop was attached or not.

I’m not sure why so many people want a view from the bedroom

Seconded. Lack of curtains always strikes me as odd – how many hours of daylight on Skye in Summer?

davidjones15
    Free Member

London, derelict workshops for 500k and an architect. All the ingredients for an epic.

matt_outandabout

“its going to be like no other house in London”

matt_outandabout

And I bet they and the neighbours won’t be on speaking terms shortly…

warton
    Free Member

I like my divisions to be hints…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Budgets going to disappear quickly with those walls, steels and roof

warton
    Free Member

My god, London is a different world isn’t it?

brakes
    Free Member

a betterer world

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Nice temporary roof materials!

matt_outandabout

*repeats falling out with neighbour predictions*

brakes
    Free Member

is throwing money at some old dump and decking it out like an IKEA concept store a new thing, or have architects been doing this kind of thing for a while?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Can’t argue with the architect there.
    *waits for bike comments*

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Why bother taking out the existing columns!!!!!! Madness

brakes
    Free Member

is it me or is Kev spouting more cock than usual? he normally just does this at the end.

warton
    Free Member

Sorry, but what is the point? You’ve totally knocked the original workshop down, why just rebuild it?

davidjones15
    Free Member

500 per month per neighbour? Who wouldn’t want to live in that there London? Sounds like a right barrel of laughs.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

It’s your neighbours land love! If your agreement is £1000 pm tough! he’s a property lawyer!!!!

What do you expect in London village… Arrrggghhh!

athgray
    Free Member

£500! If I was a neighbour I would be really embarrassed. Whats wrong with a case of beer when the job is done?

warton
    Free Member

has anyone mentioned the possibility they may fall out with their Neighbours?

warton
    Free Member

Stop calling it a workshop. They demolished the workshop.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I think it’s a great advert for the architect and project management team.

warton
    Free Member

an architect thats seems to struggle with measuring stuff

I would suggest that skimping on materials on such a empty space is really going to compromise the final look…

TooTall
    Free Member

Reinforces my experiences that many ‘prizewinning architects’ are rather distant from the reality of construction. Or do people think this is how things should happen?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 360 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs…..’ is closed to new replies.