Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 360 total)
  • Grand Designs…..
  • CountZero

I liked it, but if you’re going to live in London, and you want space, you go up or down, no other option.

bruk

Listening to her whinge about stress being a killer makes me laugh. You’re spending millions on a huge vanity project. You are not connected the the stresses of real people living normal lives. The ones stressing about if they can afford to put the heating on etc are truly worried to affect their health.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sorry, I got here late, just watching on catch-up…

Kind of detracted from the real world and the reality of life
    Ooh, blurred-out names on contractor vests – usually means problems…
    shout and whine at a window fitter, because she didn’t manage her own suppliers properly
    I couldn’t see myself living in a home that looks like a hotel.
    +4

1k per m² for the glass.
    That’s the one bit I didn’t think was too bad. I’m pricing up a roof light for my kitchen and the cheapest I can find is £500/m2. I said to the mrs that 40k seemed cheap (for what it was) then it turns out they`ve gone bankrupt

I did enjoy a bit of schadenfreude when Kev started talking about the monolithic kitchen island, which was not in the least bit organic.

johndoh
    Free Member

Window cleaning bills’ll be cheap.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I liked it, but if you’re going to live in London, and you want space, you go up or down, no other option.

Waiting for this idea coming back into the fold

johndoh
    Free Member

The Shambles, York?

Klunk
    Free Member

that looked like a development to sell, rather than something they would live in (as we saw how they lived at the start).

davidjones15
    Free Member

For a cool 16M they could have had somewhere with views.
    http://www.foxtons.co.uk/
    Silly billies.

binners

I’ve got so much money I don’t know what to do with it. I’ll Spaff it all on this as … Well, why not… It’s not like if it all goes wrong there will actually be any real consequences for ME, ME, MEEEEEEE! Aren’t I wonderful

Narcissistic horse-shit for trustafarians

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

as we saw how they lived at the start

Wasn’t it a one bedroom apartment they were supposedly packed into? Given how much money they had, and that they had to move out while it was being done, it’s kind of odd that they lived there at all. I wonder where the son was (seen in a photo somewhere and talked about for the room with the roof window).

Would be great to hear more of the history of that place and see some pictures of how it used to look – must have been a riot when full of artists with that enormous ‘social club?’ in the basement.

Kev didn’t like them – she didn’t end up pregnant and there were no drinks at the end.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I wonder where the son was

expensive boarding school would be my guess.

Klunk
    Free Member

Would be great to hear more of the history of that place and see some pictures of how it used to look – must have been a riot when full of artists with that enormous ‘social club?’ in the basement.

lansdowne house

onehundredthidiot

The 21 year old son????

Didn’t get the whole build. Seems ridiculous for two or even three people. Wish they had turned off the lighting to see how light it really was.

He was just the money. Think he was just trying to keep her quiet for a while.

And who said the bankers and traders are suffering?

johndoh
    Free Member

He’d have bought the whole building 5 years ago…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Was he 21?
    At (expensive) uni then I guess. Did like Kev’s comment about seeing their son with his girlfriend on the bed 🙂

psling
    Free Member

Great link Klunk. I’ve got a couple of those albums listed there.

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t think I’d fancy living in a place that was dependent on a pump to keep the water out, power cuts would be interesting.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Looks interesting.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Bit more of a down to earth project this week – a million miles from the last months episodes (thankfully)

davidjones15
    Free Member

Likey mucho.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Really nice.

athgray
    Free Member

I don’t like the white interior, but as long as they do thats the main thing. Skye is brilliant though.

chewkw
    Free Member

Are they wife and wife?

I think last week it was husband and husband … 🙄

Again you see kitchen at the wrong place … wait until someone cooks and someone is asleep upstairs. The designer designed a toy house.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chewkw, the 1970s are on the phone asking for their homophobia back 🙄

I liked the house.

JEngledow
    Free Member

It was a refreshing change to see a couple who weren’t just throwing money at a house to make a statement, but wanted a nice home.

djglover
    Free Member

I liked it. I also like an interior like a foxes glacier mint, I’ve got one, a welcome change from my twee victorian semi

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice place that, fitted beautifully in the environment.

Bit small for me, would have liked a sunken room or the studio attached to the house, but hey..

“Claps”

Came across as really nice folks too, nice and humble. Hey deserve to live happily ever after.

P20

I really like that house. Being on Skye just adds to it. A truly magical, spectacular place that I need to revisit.
    It wouldn’t be a studio though……. Bike garage/man cave

chewkw
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Chewkw, the 1970s are on the phone asking for their homophobia back

LOL! I am no homophobes but I think they are funny people.

Nice location … not sure about the practically of the house but if the wives are happy that is good enough.

😆

p/s: really … why not design a kitchen in the bedroom … do they cook or simply rely on microwave food.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Not seen this for years but watched Skye house tonight. Liked it a lot. For that reason – I’m back in!

CountZero

LOL! I am no homophobes but I think they are funny people.

Funny in what way, exactly? Care to expand on that statement? I thought they were a warm, genuine, caring couple, who had an opportunity to build a really beautiful house, in an extraordinary environment, for really not a lot of money, and I loved it to bits. Given more money, I’d have the front roof raised so you could see the sea from the mezzanine, but they didn’t, so it was the best compromise. Once it’s weathered in, and all the grass grown around it, it’ll be fabulous. I’m green with envy, frankly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL again, not covering yourself with glory as ever chewkw.

In fact you come across as narrow minded and stupid.

phead
    Free Member

FYI Series 3 of Grand Designs Australia is on ep. 3, available by way of the normal places.

Much more fun than the UK one, Building regs…..hah!

onehundredthidiot

Was ill a coupl eof weeks ago and found my all time favourite. Series 7 episode 6 (i think) was a boat housen the Thames. Overly smug couple but a genius twist from the architect by the end of the first part. Honestly if you have 15 minutes spare find it and watch. You will applaude the man.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I liked the house last night….. back to some sense of reality. There total spend was not far off what some people spend on the kitchen!
    You get the impression that KM much prefers the small builds in unusual places to the hugely expensive monstrosities where people just want to get their house on TV for bragging rights.

tomhoward

My only question would be where do they put all their stuff, like clothes and that? Didn’t seem to be anything in the way of storage outside of the kitchen?

davidjones15
    Free Member

My only question would be where do they put all their stuff, like clothes and that? Didn’t seem to be anything in the way of storage outside of the kitchen?

There was a second bedroom behind the kitchen and a bathroom behind the master bedroom.
    I’ve been looking for the plans to see what they did with the over hang/tail bit of the house.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah I wondered about that “tail” thingy, was it for parking the car under, looked a little shallow for that.
    Maybe it’s for windsurfing kit..
    Or a boat.
    Anyhoos I thought the driveway looked good too, that matched the building really rather well.
    I hope that KM gets to revisit this one, just to see how the cladding has mellowed in the ferocious winters they have up there.

And I didn’t know but it seems the more air tight your house the less you pay for fuel? is this correct, I was part way through a G&T at the time??

franksinatra

I really liked it, with a location like that a simple house works very well.

I missed the beginning, was there a reason that they didn’t turf the roof of the studio? Seemed a shame not to, was it a cost thing?

gonefishin
    Free Member

And I didn’t know but it seems the more air tight your house the less you pay for fuel? is this correct

Sort of. If your house is air tight (excluding the installed ventilation system) then you don’t have any draughts casuing heat loss and the ventilation system can be used to exchange heat between the how wet air leaving the building and the cold drier air entering it futher reducing the heat losses and so the house needs less fuel to heat it.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 360 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs…..’ is closed to new replies.