Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Grand Designs – Have we done it yet?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Not sure if I liked the house personally but I liked the fact that he was prepared to have a go rather than just bung a load of cash at somebody to build it for him.

I’d be somewhat pissed if I’d bought a wind turbine that didn’t work.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bet it’s painted and carpeted inside now. 😉

I find it interesting that a number of these houses are designed to not require any heating T all but there are always fires in them when they’re finished. Not that there’s anything wrong with that – especially if they’re woodburning stoves [which are brilliant].

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I really like it to be honest. Bloke put his money where his mouth was and gave it a shot, which I respect. Not sure about bare breeezblock inside, but it looks good from the outside.

Jamie
    Free Member

As Peter I am not a fan of the bare breezeblock, but fair play to the guy for taking the function over style route.

Bit of an overspend mind.

Harry_the_Spider

£340k wasn’t a bad price for what he got.

We did our own “Grand Design” by putting a new back on a 100 year old house including underground bike storage bunker. Underfloor heating, 3.5m bi-folding doors, skylights, all sorts of cabling, poncy lighting, extra insulation etc…

£120k can go very quickly!

Rio

I’d be somewhat pissed if I’d bought a wind turbine that didn’t work.

I think he said it would cost 40K for one that did work, but like most domestic turbines I suspect it was there as a statement saying “look at me, I’m eco” rather than a practical power source so it probably served its purpose.

I liked the house, particularly the big garage, but I’m not sure I could live with the sloping ceiling going down below head-height. I also wonder with some of these houses how well they’ll age – it looks great now but in a couple of decades maybe that won’t be the case and someone will knock it down and build the next great thing – which is far from eco.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think this sort of turbine has more chance of being effective – similar but simpler:

http://www.tradewindturbines.com/

I thought it was a nice idea, but would have wanted bigger rooms. I’ll take a few points from it for my own idea bank.

PrinceJohn

A friend of mine is on it soon…

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

£ 340 K for the house and £ 160 K for the land, too much for that house.

Great idea and good effort for trying to do somert for the environment/carbon footprint but in a whole it did not work.

Water was only warmish, bedrooms far too small, windmill looked ace but he got shafted with it.

As Mr.Smug said “best thing about it was the curved corridor”, the frontroom/kitchen was w4nk as for the worktop, what was he thinking.

Not as bad as last weeks house, but not far off ! 3/10 must try harder.

bedmaker

just watched it, loled at the kitchen worktop 😆 Im sure it’s fine as long as you don’t prepare food on it.

53 cube of concrete stuck in the ground and block walls should throw out the heat for at least 4 or 5 days after the last of the summer warmth 🙄 time to fire up the stove then.

Whay do all “eco” houses have so much glass? House is boiling on a sunny day then very quickly loses the heat. Even the best double glazng will be around 1.5 u value whereas the wall in a fairly bog standard build at current regs should be between 0.2 – 0.3.

I liked all the curves and high spaces though, but .5 million all in to complete 😯 how/why do people do it just for a box to live in??

Edric64
    Free Member

Where do all the rich people on Grand Designs find the extra couple of hundred grand every week when they go over budget?.They quite often overstretch themselves to build some quite odd dwellings

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs – Have we done it yet?’ is closed to new replies.