Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Gove goes.
  • convert

Hagues gone. He was the only one out of the lot of them who came across as an actual human being, and looked like he might actually know what he was doing

Agreed, no matter how much I have tried I couldn’t help but like Hague. Whispers it quietly – quite liked Ken too – especially his constant vocal pro stance for Europe within a party pretty anti the idea.

nickc

Can’t believe IDS has held onto his job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hagues gone

Benghazi ???

Radio 4 joke there

wwaswas

Benghazi ???

Radio 4 joke there

We can have a whip round and make sure Jon Culshaw still gets to do it every now and again…

binners

Maybe IDS has got that dodgy Westminster peado dossier that went missing. Its the only reason I can think of that he’s consistently managed to keep his job despite demonstrating on a daily basis what an utterly incompetent ****-wit he is

ninfan
    Free Member

Polite question, have the Teachers unions ever liked or supported an Education Secretary?

I seem remember them holding Blunkett hostage, walking out on Morris and Clarke was booed and hissed and called the worst ever.

Stoner
    Free Member

so no more interviews of Hague by Reeta Chakrabarti in Benghazi 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Polite question, have the Teachers unions ever liked or supported an Education Secretary?

Probably not, as they keep trying to make themselves and their governments look good by pandering to populist ideas about how schools should be run, whilst completely ignoring the people who actually understand education and the kids.

anagallis_arvensis

I know you hate him and I didnt agree with much of what he did but Balls didnt seem completely awful.
    You have to also remember that Teachers Unions are not teachers and most teachers are only in a union for legal cover.

aracer
    Free Member

+1, despite disagreeing with him on Europe.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ken seemed to be of the ‘standup for what I believe in – but have room for compromise’ type.

Klunk
    Free Member

Ken will go back to flogging fags to Chinese children.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the broad thrust of what Gove was doing was the policy of the Government. I would imagine the new incumbent will try and be a bit more diplomatic if for no other reason than the election is due soon, no point rocking the boat. I believe he lost his job due mainly to his ridiculous public spat with Theresa May, those anti-gore here should bear that in mind, little in reality will change.

FWIW I think politicians interfering in education to the extent they do is a travesty. Education needs less politicians (none in fact) trying to “make their mark”

Hague told the PM he was going to stand down as an MP last year so he’s effectively retired. he stayed around long enough to do the glamour bit with Ms Tomb Raider and now he’s off.

ransos
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Ken was affable but he did sell fags to kids without any moral issue

On balance it is a no from me as he was principled on Europe and little else.

he also liked jazz….shudders

thejesmonddingo

I have to say I’m very disappointed,read the thread title,was just tying my dancing shoes,when I heard on the radio he’d only been sacked.Paah.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ken was affable but he did sell fags to kids without any moral issue

Well, it makes a nice change for Tory MP’s to be selling fags to kids rather than k…

(sorry, had to be done)

cookeaa

This is Dave’s election mode reshuffle, freeing up the mouth pieces for some PR…

Sounds like they want to use Gove as a bit of a spokesman, more than likely to attract some of the swivel eyed floaters back from UKIP in time for the election…

the chief whip role is just to keep him sort of in the cabinet/senior sounding role, without any actual remit beyond being “Head boy”, post election He’ll want a proper ministerial role again, or else He’ll most likely start sharpening his dagger…

Expect to see Gove saying all sorts of things on all sorts of topics, while Hague trys to calm things down in his wake, and trys to make the Tories seem more reasonable…

chilled76
    Free Member

I just hope she can pull a u turn on the scraping of A*-G grades which is completely fit for purpose and didn’t need changing.

It’s good to see she is wanting to pull the free school idea too.

Things can only get better for teachers with Gove elsewhere.

wwaswas

It’s good to see she is wanting to pull the free school idea too.

have you got a link for that?

Garry_Lager

chilled76 – Member

It’s good to see she is wanting to pull the free school idea too.That would most certainly good – is it right though? Would have thought stealth privatisation of schools was an article of faith for a Tory government. Would be an enormous climb down if they went into reverse on free schools.

kimbers

are you talking about Liz Truss, I thought she was very neo-liberal and all for the private sector taking over public sector roles?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hagues gone. He was the only one out of the lot of them who came across as an actual human being, and looked like he might actually know what he was doing

+ another. Awful leader though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

he also liked jazz….shudders

Oi! 👿

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I know you hate him and I didnt agree with much of what he did but Balls didnt seem completely awful.

He was pretty crap. A big difference was that there was more money in education – schools weren’t being run on third world budgets.

cookeaa

are you talking about Liz Truss

Nope Nicky Morgan takes over from Gove… whoever she might be.

Hagues gone.

Not quite yet, He’s been made Leader of the Commons, He is stepping down at the next election though and Dave needs him free to face the press in the run up to that, He’s pretty good with the press…

TBH I think a few of the new ministers are probably just there to keep other’s seats warm…

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Probably not but this is the closest they’ve come to throwing one into a volcano for a while.

cb – Member

Gove did what he thought was right without giving the slightest hint of a toss about what people thought of him for doing so. We need more people like that in politics

Little bit from column A but it’s nice when they also take advice from experts and don’t just presume that what they think is right, is actually right. So there’s probably a sliding scale and a lot of politicians could do with being a bit more Gove. But not a lot more.

wwaswas

There’s a piece in the Telegraph from one of his supporters saying that the latest teachers strike action was the last nail in his political coffin as far as support from Cameron was concerned.

“The most effective piece of industrial action in this parliament”

So a one day strike can have a positive effect 🙂

kimbers

binners

He did seem as if he formulated ‘policy’ based on whatever had popped into his head as he woke up that morning. Without feeling the need to consult anyone else, or seek any advice on whether it was a good idea, or indeed if it was actually viable

Today I shall scrap the entire countries exam system and replace it with something else. I’m not sure what yet, but if I come up with something, then its bound to be absolutely brilliant.

And from now on, children will only be allowed to read the books that I’ve got on my shelf in the front room

wwaswas

from now on, children will only be allowed to read the books that I’ve got on my shelf in the front room

Although that’s one up on the prisons minister who arbitrarily decided that prisoners shouldn’t be allowed to have books at all. They put idea in their heads or something.

binners

This shower really are a bunch of utter and complete ****-wits, aren’t they? Trouble is; you look at the other lot and get the distinct feeling that though maybe not in the same level for gleeful nastiness, they’ve got the potential to be even more incompetent

wwaswas

they’ve got the potential to be even more incompetent

I’d take some comfort if I thought the poor results of their policies were by accident rather than design though…

binners

Indeed. This lots **** ups are a result of their blindly evangelical worship of all things ‘The Market’ does, without letting anything as inconvenient as facts getting in the way, or it being tempered by anything as pointless and irrelevant as empathy or compassion.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And from now on, children will only be allowed to read the books that I’ve got on my shelf in the front room

😆

Brilliant.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Indeed. This lots **** ups are a result of their blindly evangelical worship of all things ‘The Market’ does,

Nope. If that were the case, failed banks would have been allowed to fail, instead of having squillions of taxpayer’s lolly shovelled at them.

They are fans of Corporatism, not Capitalism.

binners

Fair point Wopster

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It was a completely exaggerated faith in the market which caused things to go tits up. “Light-touch regulation” was all that was needed they claimed.

But this exaggerated faith in the market wasn’t restricted to the Tories in the Conservative Party it was also shared by those in the Labour Party.

They are big fans of capitalism, but even the biggest fan of capitalism recognises that the market can never function satisfactorily without government intervention.

That is why the most important political office after prime minister is almost always finance minister. Far from having a minor role in government, as they sit back watching the market functioning freely, finance ministers across the world are constantly having to deal with a permanent state of crises.

On the question of Gove’s demotion I’m somewhat puzzled as to why Cameron has decided that he should be the “Tory face on TV”. Surely he must realise that the smuggest most slappable face in government probably isn’t the best choice ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So we are talking about a Minister of Education moving job and this gets confused with unbridled faith in markets. The clue is in the title and what he did that made him so unpopular. They love meddling in education, the lot of them. What has that got to do with markets or capitalism?

But teachers will never be forgotten for this one 😉 Gove fronting the election campaign. That means most days in the media. How could that happen??? Does CMD really reckon that he is a vote winner?

Loved the bird from the defence minister claiming that new job has nothing to do with her gender. Let’s hope she understands her brief better than the reason for her appointment.

aracer
    Free Member

You have to assume that even CMD isn’t really that stupid, in which case there’s something else going on here – most likely internal party politics I’d have thought given Gove’s ambitions, maybe Dave is setting him up?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Gove goes.’ is closed to new replies.