Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Gove goes.
  • wwaswas

And a large proportion of those involved in education breathe a sigh of relief.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Better the devil you know ?

anagallis_arvensis

Better anyone but him

wwaswas

He was clearly a man who wanted to make his mark on education, even when he was in opposition.

I’ve barely heard of his replacement so can only assume they aren’t cut from the same cloth.

ninfan
    Free Member

unless of course the aim to get the job done without presenting an obvious target for resistance…

wwaswas

“Norman Smith [bbc polictical correspondent] says as education secretary, Michael Gove had a habit of ruffling feathers among teachers. It may be hoped that Nicky Morgan will have a more “soothing” effect when it comes to threats of strikes and so on. ”

binners

Its irrelevant who’s apparently at the helm. This bunch of ****s all have the same agenda. It’ll merely be a change of spokesperson, who is (probably very temporarily) less toxic.

boxelder

As I keep saying when my (soon to be ex) colleagues in teaching complain about him……

“Somebody voted for them”

Bye Michael and thanks – you encouraged me to make a career change, shame your decision was made for you.

wwaswas

Oh good, the new education secretary thinks that children shouldn’t have parents that are gay and married.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Loughborough-MP-Nicky-Morgan-explains-voted/story-18148357-detail/story.html

binners may have a point…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMFHs5-22kM[/video]

julianwilson
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Better anyone but him.

Thats what i thought about Andrew Lansley as health sec, and they (by this i mean cameron’s closet full of lobbyists, lets not pretend that he was alone in making the choice about such a financially important post) still found someone even more machiavellian and utterly “for sale” to replace him. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

Better to not have a devil
    The only positive i can say is he did actually send his child to a public sector school but he massively politicised the office and used it as an ego chariot

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Re-shuffles, eh?

binners

At least he leaves a worthwhile legacy. Has anyone got a signed copy of his bible as a keepsake?

cb

Gove did what he thought was right without giving the slightest hint of a toss about what people thought of him for doing so. We need more people like that in politics rather than the snivelling, wet, nose up their leaders’ arses brigade that do what they are told and nothing more (waves at the Lib Dems that I wasted my vote on).

The vast majority of Tory politicians are evil, nasty, vile little creeps that pretend to be something different. Gove sort of held his hand up and didn’t really deny what he stood for. Most Labour MPs as far as I can tell are no different to the Torys in their behaviour, they just claim to have different policies. I don’t trust them either but it would be nice to think that some would actually do what they claim should I vote for them (which is what I’d feel most comfortable doing).

molgrips
    Free Member

Gove did what he thought was right without giving the slightest hint of a toss about what people thought of him for doing so. We need more people like that in politics

Do we hell!

Government MUST NOT be a one man show. Because if that person is wrong, it all goes to hell.

Gove was very wrong, a lot, so him pushing his viewpoint has really **** things up quite a lot.

Lifer
    Free Member

^
    |

That

Garry_Lager

David Willetts standing down is something of a loss – v unlikely to be replaced by anyone of similar standing (don’t think his successor has been announced?). His political capital within the Tories meant he could be an effective advocate for science (relatively speaking). If a stuffed-shirt conservative had been on the science brief 2010 onwards it would have decimated science funding.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

it would be nice to think that some would actually do what they claim should I vote for them

You really don’t understand how politics works, do you. 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As Ben Elton said of one of Thatcher’s reshuffles it was “Suits full of b*gger all replaced by suits full of b*gger all.”

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Correct Molgrips.

That **** was opinionated and oblivious to the experiences of the people he was supposedly responsible for. The complete opposite to the sort of person I would have representing me and driving forward my profession.

Unfortunately it is no longer my profession as he was screwing it up so royally that I left to do something more independent and less interfered with.

I should thank him for forcing my hand but I did enjoy teaching.

Good riddance to him.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

As Ben Elton said of one of Thatcher’s reshuffles it was “Suits full of b*gger all replaced by suits full of b*gger all.”

“What will you have, Prime Minister?”

“Steak. Blue.”

“And the vegetables?”

“They’ll have the same.”

binners

Gove and the even worse offender IDS* are absolutely wilfully blind to any evidence that contradicted their own lofty idealogical assertions. They’re the political equivalent of a small child with his fingers in his ears shouting LA, LA, LA!!! I’M NOT LISTENING!!!!!!!

Apparently Esther McVey is being promoted to a senior position, so I’m sure we can expect more of a similar attitude. An absolutely vile woman!!

* And I hope that slyly viscous, uncaring, incompetent **** has got his marching orders too

cb

One man show – my arse! You think he could just push through an agenda like that without ‘Call me Dave’ and his cabinet cronies backing him behind the scenes? He just happened to be the only one that would admit “This is what I am and what I believe in”.

Ignore the policies – I agree they were wrong (in fact I have no idea but am happy to believe that the vast majority of teaching professionals know what impact they were having and are right). I can’t believe anyone in this country could think anything of what Gove did to be “unTory”. What the hell did you expect Gove to do? He’s a Tory and more people voted for them than Labour – the ‘country’ got what it wanted.

Despite this, I admire the character trait of standing up for what you believe in. If we could trust all politicians to stick by their beliefs, it would make voting a whole lot easier – and that is the crux of my badly written point!

EDIT: Woppit, I do understand but foolishly still hope that some integrity might eventually, some day (get voted in) wriggle its way into Westminster.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Education to Chief Whip? Hardly “marching”, binners.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, voting is easy. Attributing any credibility to the process or the choices is the difficult bit.

Lifer
    Free Member

There’s standing up for what you believe in then there’s being inflexible to a fault. Gove definitely fitted into the last camp.

convert

Interesting times to have a new education secretary. We are mid way through a pretty massive change to the examination system in this country. It’s going to be interesting to see if a new secretary will change the direction it’s going, or indeed if it’s too late for that now.

The fact that’s he’s going to be chief whip did make me chuckle though. There are few faces as much in need of a punch than Gove’s – the fact that Cameron is inflicting that on his own MPs is quite amusing.

Also, he’s going to have an “enhanced role in campaigning and doing broadcast media interviews” – who thought that was a good idea! Gove has the unique ability of making any message sound like a knife twist – he could turn up at your house with a giant lottery winners cheque and you’d want to shove his head down the bog after 30 seconds in his company. Why would Dave want him in front of the cameras any more than strictly necessary? Edit – thinking about it again, there is a face I want to punch more than Gove’s – Farage. There are plenty of unhinged UK voters who have voted for him – perhaps this is the tories trying to out bellend UKIP!

molgrips
    Free Member

I admire the character trait of standing up for what you believe in

I do to a point, but not

a) When the issues are vast and technical and a lot of highly skilled professionals know far more about it thann you do.

b) when it’s your job to find a solution that satisfies as many people as possible, rather than just enforce your ideas on everyone.

Gove doesn’t know best, politicians generally don’t. Sometimes Civil Servants do, but they’re not politicans.

ac282

He’ll appeal to UKIP voters

Lifer
    Free Member

convert – Member
    he could turn up at your house with a giant lottery winners cheque and you’d want to shove his head down the bog after 30 seconds in his company

😆

Spot on

edlong
    Free Member

Education to Chief Whip? Hardly “marching”, binners.

Chief Whip, in the last few months before a general election, when MPs will be behaving themselves anyway, it’s a pretty massive demotion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IDS

I wonder what he has on them tbh

Universal credit now viewed as a new starter by the audit office
    Treasury inly signing off on it monthly
    at the current rate if implementation it will take 2000 years for it to be in every office

I am not sure what he has to do to show he is incompetent tbh

binners

Stephen Collins summed up Goves idea of his own talents, as opposed to the reality….

edlong
    Free Member

He’ll appeal to UKIP voters

If the latest polls are to be believed (big “if”, admittedly), that particular wave has broken anyway.

Lifer
    Free Member

Convert reminded me of Time Trumpet’s interview with future Clare Short on Tony Blair/Gordon Brown

‘To put it bluntly Tony could shit in your hat and you’d want to shake his hand. Gordon would shake your hand and you’d want to shit in his hat’

(IIRC)

aracer
    Free Member

I wondered what the cheering was this morning

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE[/video]

Del

when will this shower wake up and realise that people are only voting for UKIP and the SNP because the tories, labour and the libs are all tories of one form or another that no-one trusts to tie shoe-laces, never mind run the flippin country. 👿

binners

Hagues gone. He was the only one out of the lot of them who came across as an actual human being, and looked like he might actually know what he was doing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Gove goes.’ is closed to new replies.