• This topic has 103 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Got any plans to see the TDF in Yorshire ?
  • righog
    Free Member

Just trying to organise a trip to see the first two days of the tour was thinking veiwing at Ilkley on stage 1 and Holmfirth on stage 2. Was hoping to get a B and B about 20 miles from each location, but all I can find is a large hotel on A1 in Wakey with vacancies ,so far ( still looking )

I have a back up plan of my BIL’s front room or camping in his garden in Horbury if all else fails.

Anybody got any plans better than my half baked efforts ?

martinhutch

I live 200 yards from the route, so to make things interesting, I’m going to go somewhere completely different to watch. Apparently a lot of the route in my town is going to be closed from 5am on race day, so some planning will be needed, probably a bivvy behind a wall.

squiff
    Free Member

Have you looked at this?

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-2

MoreCashThanDash

I have plans – sadly that weekend is also my (non-cycling) son’s 11th birthday, so they are mostly scuppered….

bspoked
    Free Member

Where will Stage 2 be won (break away apart)? On Holme Moss? Or do you think the peleton will hold together?

hora
    Free Member

Where can I camp??

righog
    Free Member

bspoked – Member
    Where will Stage 2 be won (break away apart)? On Holme Moss? Or do you think the peleton will hold together?

I will hopefully be at Holme Moss to see 😀 my best guess is the breakaway will be caught at the the top and bring the Peleton back together after the climb.

Edric64
    Free Member

YSS caving hut in Helwith Bridge ,3 peaks hq very clean self catering fiver a night .Bit further than you want about 30 miles but quick road most of the way

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had plans to stay and watch from Askrigg in Wensleydale where I have family. Seeing them fly down Buttertubs would have been awesome. Some very close friends decided to arrange a wedding that same weekend though.

righog
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Where can I camp??

Bit bloody pricey…

Velofest ( expensive ) Camping

But too be fair They do seem to be making it into a mini festival type thingy which may be a laugh ( I will not be staying there)

richpips
    Free Member

Holmfirth will be an absolute nightmare. Loads of people will be hoping to get too Holme Moss.

bspoked
    Free Member

I live in Leeds so think I will watch the depart then go home to watch the stage 1, then ride to Holme Moss and sleep in a field. Got some recon to do…

mcnultycop

I’m in Oldham so I’m going to ride up over to the top of Cragg Vale and watch them at the top, then ride home.

MrNice
    Free Member

not sure I’ll make stage 1, though I do have family (ish) in Knaresborough who might be useful. Will ride out from Sheffield to see stage 2 somewhere. Hopefully I can ride out on the morning and won’t be forced to sleep in a ditch like some sort of lycra-clad tramp.

jekkyl

If the road is closed (to cars?) can we still cycle up it to a certain point? Does anyone know? I was looking at Holme Moss too.

righog
    Free Member

richpips – Member
    Holmfirth will be an absolute nightmare. Loads of people will be hoping to get too Holme Moss.

Your Probably right, My other thought was watching the start but that will be even more mobbed ? I remember many many moons ago watching the Tour of Britain Finish ( The year Max Sciandri won, 1992 ?) in Leeds and it was mobbed then it will be much worse this time

MrNero50
    Free Member

As I live in Harrogate and the A59 is across a field from my front door and we have friends in Otley, should get a good view on both days!!

misinformer
    Free Member

Campsite and b and b at Dunford bridge 5 miles from Holme moss.
    Holmfirth is a nightmare at the best of times but there are many back roads and such sneaky routes on the way from Dunford, scammonden

crikey
    Free Member

Cragg Vale, Ripponden Bank, Holme Moss and so on will be 5 deep all the way up.

The Kellogs Tour and the Leeds/Wincanton Classic used to see big crowds back in the day, but now cycling has got popular all the climbs will be packed.

I think it will surprise some folk how quickly the hills are climbed, so don’t count on seeing much for long.

There are places to see them which won’t be too bad, but I’m not saying where or how to get there… 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

From the website

Are the roads going to be closed for walkers and cyclists?
    The roads usually remain open for walkers and cyclists long after they have been shut to motor vehicles, but you still have to be in position some time before the riders are due because it is preceded by the Tour Caravan.

RustySpanner

We’re in Burnley.

Hopefully watching day 1 somewhere near Askrigg.
    Day 2 we’ll be riding over to Hebden, got a few places in mind 😀

If anyone’s really stuck, we’ve got a spare room*
    No pressure.

*cost – 1 Surly Disc Trucker, 52cm, panniers filled with cake.

richpips
    Free Member

I’m going to ride out from Thorner to catch them in a couple of places on the first day.

The second day again roll out from Thorner to catch them near the start. Then head down the M1 to get them on some hills before the finish.

MoreCashThanDash

What about Day 3? – given the boys birthday, might have to make a dawn raid from Derby towards Cambridge…..

jekkyl

We’re all at a distinct advantage over all the fatties who intend to drive out to see it because we all cycle offroad (well some of us 😉 ) it shouldn’t be too hard to find a nice route where you could cycle out from somewhere else a few miles away, sit on a grassy bank with some cake, watch the riders pass by then cycle back.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Living in Harrogate I plan on riding to Pool to see the early part of stage 1, then ride back home before seeing them go up Ripon Road on the way to the finish.
    For stage 2 I think I’ll go to the top of Kex Gill (blubberhouses ) , ride home to watch the finish on tele before getting the train to London for stage 3 finish on Monday

ton

been to the tour in france on 3 occasions. once was on the finish line of a timetrial in nantes.
    I will watch it from my sofa, via eurosport.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

They go past my house 🙂

edhornby

I’m riding from Manchester to the somewhere on cragg vale

It’s my birthday that day !!!!

I’m hoping it completely pisses it down all day so that only the hardcore fans are there 😉

TheDoctor
    Free Member

well i live in Harrogate, not decided where to see it on both days, but plans will be made 😀

righog
    Free Member

I’m hoping it completely pisses it down all day so that only the hardcore fans are there

Well I am Not !

I am hoping for Sunshine, A great advert for Britain, a really nice ride and a great start to my 3 weeks of TDF TV watching.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think Ton has some logic in that approach. 10 seconds of watching some bikes fly by for hours of riding or queuing. With the usual Yorkshire horizontal rain, sat on damp soggy moorland.

ianv
    Free Member

I noticed that Manorlands ( charity hospice) in oxenhope is offering camping. It’s pretty close to the climb over to hebden, you get to support a good cause and its an easy ish ride to somewhere for day one as well.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Similar approach to Ton from me.

It passes around 200 yards from our house so head up with the kids, fight to get a big green foam finger and a coca cola key ring, then back home for telly and beer/bbq.

simmy
    Free Member

Just looking at the stage 1 route, anyone reckon it will be chaos around the north section of the route towards Hawes etc ?

Just thinking I could take the bike on the car to Appleby or Kirkby Stephen and pedal over.

trout
    Free Member

Tour goes within 2 miles first day and half a mile from my house second day .
    southern relations have booked our spare rooms so will walk or cycle somewhere to see them both days as driving will be out of the question
    I expect all the back roads to be gridlocked each day .

loads of campsites advertising along the route this one I can see from home
    Silsden camping

was talking to the guy in charge the other day and there will be big screens up and live bands performing so will pop down there after they have whizzed past and partake in a few bevvies and soak up the atmosphere

Simmy
    it will be chaos with roads closed for upto 8 hours
    you will need to be there the day before on all the big climbs

grum
    Free Member

I’ll be watching from the scaffolding tower I’m putting up in my back garden in Hebden. It comes right down past it on Keighley Road. 😀

Any ideas for what TDF themed thing I can paint on my shed roof to try and get it filmed by the helicopter? 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Pretty shocked at those camping prices. Are people really going to spend 150 to watch a bunch of guys fly by in a matter of seconds? Wonder how many bookings they have.

trout
    Free Member

£12.50 each per night per person if there are four sharing. dont sound too bad to me .

but yes there will be folks making hay for this one off event.

never having seen a tour stage live I do believe its not just the riders flashing past. there is also the caravan in front. and at he rear . and cheaper than going to,france to see it

CHB

It passes 3 of my employers locations, starts in my home town, and passes several of my mates houses. So I hope I should be able to find a good spot.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ll be riding out both days to see 2mins of cycling, enjoy the rest of my ride and watch it later on tv.

Really looking forward to it. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Got any plans to see the TDF in Yorshire ?’ is closed to new replies.