Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Google nexus 4 in stock on Play store NOW!
  • peterfile
    Free Member

i’ve got an iphone 5 and I’m out of contract…I fancy a change…would i regret buying a Nexus 4 and getting rid of my iphone?

I can get £350 from o2 recycle for my iphone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

peter, you’d definitely regret it, it’s well priced, not flashy and offers value for money 😛

Rusty I am contemplating this and checked out ebay prices – looks safe to punt on.

peterfile
    Free Member

cheers al 🙂

i thought as much, but the prospect of getting a box through the post with a shiny bit of kit in it was quite tempting!

might buy one for the other half

mintimperial

I tried to cancel my 8GB model online but received an email telling me to ‘do one’ (words to that effect)…

I got the same thing, only I’ve got two 16GB ones coming because the Play store timed out on the first order and told me it hadn’t gone though so I reordered and now apparently I’ve got two of the buggers coming. I’ll just send one back but I expect I’ll be down on the cost of postage which is a bit annoying.

deviant
    Free Member

They will be out of stock again soon, as others have said put your spare on ebay for a profit when they do sell out.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

would i regret buying a Nexus 4 and getting rid of my iphone?

It’s more about operating system than hardware at this level.

If you have lots tied in to Apple – apps, content – then I wouldn’t swap.

If you want great value for money top spec hardware (with a couple of compromises, mostly storage) and a more open but less integrated OS then it’s worth a look.

Cletus

I’ll just send one back but I expect I’ll be down on the cost of postage which is a bit annoying.

I had to send back a Nexus 4 and to be honest it was a bit of a nightmare. I asked for an RMA number and had to chase it several times before I received the returns envelope. It then took a while to figure out how to process the return and arrange a pickup.

The good thing is the courier picks up foc. However I am still waiting for my Google account to be credited with the refund two weeks after the phone was collected.

I did look at selling it on Ebay but would probably have lost money after fees.

I am not the only person having trouble organising returns to Google

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2021284

colournoise

Mine’s already been dispatched. Woohoo!

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Mine’s already been dispatched. Woohoo!

8 or 16gb?

nuke

So has mine (8gb)! 😀

Anyone getting/got a case they’d recommend? Thinking just to go for one of the skin cases

colournoise
    scholarsgate
    Free Member

I’ve got the email too!

Can’t wait for my 16gb.

@nuke – Have a look at mobilefun for cases.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

colournoise – Member
    Mine’s already been dispatched

nuke – Member
    So has mine

Silly question…notified via your Gmail address? When did you guys order?

nuke

Order 16:00 on Wednesday. Notified yesterday via Gmail email

….and it’s just been delivered! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve been using one for work – just took it on a trip away. It is nice, definitely nicer than my Desire, in a way that I don’t really feel about the Galaxy S3 that I’ve also got at work.

It just feels nice, the software feels nice, and all works as it should. It is just on the verge of being too big but not quite.

Haven’t really got an excuse for buying one for personal use though – the Desire still working great just under three years after I first got it, and I don’t upgrade phones until I really need them – is quite useful to develop on an old slow phone anyway.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh and anyone hoping to pop them on ebay, best do it quick, LG said that stock will be equal to demand by early to mid February.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mine still saying despatch estimate February 13th.

Notification here maybe?

zippykona

sadexpunk

hmmm…. this phone seems to have passed me by. currently contract free desire HD on giffgaff.

is this phone unlocked to take any sim? normal sized sim, not micro?

just wondering whether to sell my DHD on, and upgrade to this instead…..

nuke

Yes. Micro sim

Jamie
    Free Member

Unlocked/Micro.

If you are on GiffGaff, just cut your sim, I did for my iPhone4, or get them to send out a new micro one, as they do them now.

Edit: Dammit.

nickjb
    Free Member

According to TNT mine was put on the van at 7.30 this morning.

Jamie
    Free Member

FWIW, if anyone is looking to get a sim only deal to use with the Nexus 4, Virgin are currently doing the best deal:

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Uh-oh, I’ve got a standard SIM on Orange…it’s a work phone so I need to use this SIM. Trimming the SIM has been mentioned, but it looks like the contact points are different, as in the Virgin photo above. Am I ****?

nickjb
    Free Member

Just arrived. it’s great.

muggomagic

Be interested to find out what everyone who has bought one of these thinks about it. I’ve been mulling over whether to trade in my iPhone 4S for a nexus 4. My contract finishes in a month or so, so I might think about one of these and a sim only deal

BTW 3 do a rolling 30 day contract for £12.90 with all you can eat data, 200 mins and 5000 texts. I think all you can eat data would be essential as a lot of the google features like music, books and films are cloud based.

chvck
    Free Member

BTW 3 do a rolling 30 day contract for £12.90 with all you can eat data, 200 mins and 5000 texts. I think all you can eat data would be essential as a lot of the google features like music, books and films are cloud based.

I’ve got myself on this earlier today. Bear in mind that if you want tethering then that’s a fiver a month extra.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Uh-oh, I’ve got a standard SIM on Orange…it’s a work phone so I need to use this SIM. Trimming the SIM has been mentioned, but it looks like the contact points are different, as in the Virgin photo above. Am I ****?

I’ve done some Googling and hopefully answered my own question. Tonnes of ‘how to’ on youtube and other sites, with various methods suggested for trimming a SIM (scissors vs proper sim cutter etc.) but none of them suggest there is a problem in doing this…so I’m just gonna go ahead. What’s the worst that can happen.

Mine are in transit. Site went ‘out of stock’ again for a period on the 8GB but now showing delivery in 2-3 weeks.

daveh
    Free Member

I waited to see if the delivery estimates pushed out (then I could convince myself not to buy as delivery might be tricky) but it didn’t so I crumbled and ordered one yesterday. It’ll replace an iphone4 if all goes well, and the iphone will be passed to the lady of the house to replace the god awful galaxy ace. All being well that should stop the fairly regular ‘Its frozen’ and ‘it’s saying its got no space, can you fix it’ notifications I receive! I wonder whether it’ll be more stable than the nexus 7?

Pembo
    Free Member

I’ve got myself on this earlier today. Bear in mind that if you want tethering then that’s a fiver a month extra.

How do they know you are using the wi-fi hotspot feature on Android?

cooie

How do they know you are using the wi-fi hotspot feature on Android?

I wondered this. Apparently it’s to do with the larger amount of data a laptop or tablet generally use,so they can see a sudden higher usage, or someting like that 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

As far as I know they detect it using the headers in the web requests, a desktop browser sends different stuff to a mobile browsers. So you could probably get round it if you wrote something to alter the headers but it’d probably be an utter pain.

Pembo
    Free Member

So £13 a month for the plan plus £5 a month for tethering plus £300 for the 16GB nexus 4 starts to get into £30 a month contract territory.

Ed2001
    Free Member

What is tethering and why would you pay £5 a month for it?

ComradeD
    Free Member

Got mine on Friday and it is awesome. Really fast compared to my old HTC sensation.

£280 phone plus £12 sim only = bargain

cooie

What is tethering and why would you pay £5 a month for it?

It’s connecting you laptop/tablet or other device to your phone, using your data plan as a wi-fi hotspot. Most providers don’t let/like you doing this unless you pay for it, although quite why you can’t use your allowed monthly data how you wish is odd.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Giffgaff allow tethering on the £10 goodybag, which is limited to 1gb of data.

Unlimited and tethering leads to overloaded networks when people try to do without a landline then game or download massive files.

daveh
    Free Member

Yep, they can tell whether you’re tethering from the data sent back. Vodafone allow it for free but it does show up in your bill as tethered data not your common or garden normal data. Think o2 include it for free but some ‘cheaper’ operators (virtual networks) charge.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Unlimited and tethering leads to overloaded networks when people try to do without a landline then game or download massive files

Would people really do this with 3g/HSDPA speeds?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My phone is as fast than my landline.

At ‘up to’ 42Mbps then if you are in a good area, definitely.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Google nexus 4 in stock on Play store NOW!’ is closed to new replies.