Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Google nexus 4 in stock on Play store NOW!
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

rusty cutting up a sim is easy! I did this but had a micro one whic I used as a template – there are bound to be guides online.

sniff
    Free Member

Virgin allows tethering on that plan above – no extra. I just go it and works a treat. Web says 1gb data but once you look online at your account it’s unlimited.

lynxx
    Free Member

what’s the battery life like on these? My current desire lasts about 6hours on standby, so crap if out and don’t have a charger.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The screen hammers the battery but I have had 49 hours straight use on a single charge – mostly standby but wifi/3g on all the time, including some GPS tracking, calls, texts, everything syncing as usual and on but stuck on airplane mode for 8-9 hours over 2 nights.

On average it lasts me all day easily where my Desire was dead by 5pm.

neninja
    Free Member

After toying with it for several days I finally ordered the 16gb yesterday. Missed the ones in stock as it’s giving an expected delivery date of 21st Feb.

Just gone into the 75 day upgrade period with Vodafone so they’ve switched my account to a 3 month Sim only – almost £20 per month less than the contract I was on and after 3 months I’ll get one of those Virgin deals and sack Vodafone off.

bails

rusty cutting up a sim is easy! I did this but had a micro one whic I used as a template – there are bound to be guides online.

You’d think!

I tried to cut mine down, using a printed out template, and the phone juts couldn’t detect the sim at all. Went to the three store on at 11am on Saturday, paid a fiver for a new sim, was told it normally takes 24 hours, but could be longer because it was a weekend. At about half 2 that afternoon it pinged into life 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

This

Really fast compared to my old HTC sensation

Really isn’t helping me to not buy one to replace my sensation!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning – wo0t! The upside is I get to play with it, the downside is I’m away from WiFi, other downside only 12.9 GB free ootb 🙁

daveh
    Free Member

Ordered Friday pm, delivered 07:59 today! It really is very nice, way better than the iPhone 4 it replaces.

toby1

Got one here too, great phone and well worth the money 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

It might say 2-3 weeks for delivery on Google Play (my ETA was 21st Feb) but it’s out for delivery today. My new micro Sim arrived this morning too. Sooooo excited.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Anyone rooted/thinking of rooting it yet?

neninja
    Free Member

I’d be too scared to break a phone that works really well from the box.

It’s light speeds quicker than my Motorola Defy and without all the bugs that ended up plaguing that phone after a year or so. I’ll never buy another Motorola product as they basically left users high and dry and failed to provide updates to sort it.

Only had my Nexus 4 for a day but hugely impressed with it so far.

teethgrinder

anxiously awaiting the insurance payment for my borked N9 so I can get the 16gb… hope there’s some left!

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’d be too scared to break a phone that works really well from the box.

Kind of where I am too, but omg the ads are everywhere

neninja
    Free Member

The ads on the home pages I’ve just dragged to the bin – not really been aware of any others

mlucas666
    Free Member

Ordered mine this morning, I hope I don’t have to wait too long.

Orange are giving up to £238 for the iPhone 4S, so to switch to the Nexus 4 should only cost me about £50 net.

nickjb
    Free Member

Liking mine so far. Now the wife wants one. How much memory is free on the 8Gb?

Also what would be the benefit of rooting?

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

If anyone still needs a sim card cutting down to the micro size, I just went into a Carphone Warehouse and they did it there and then with a sim hole-punch free of charge.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Also what would be the benefit of rooting?

Here is a good explanation.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve considered rooting mine but haven’t seen a need/want to yet as I don’t use anything that needs root. A mate of mine has as he like to block ads, seemed to be pretty simple.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Liking mine so far. Now the wife wants one. How much memory is free on the 8Gb?

13Gb free on the 16Gb, so presumably ~5Gb free on the 8Gb.

muggomagic

This thread has cost me the best part of £300!
    Ordered mine this morning and got the email saying it has been despatched this evening.

footflaps

What are the ads you need to root the phone to block?

NB iPhone user so just curious….

Russell96

Impressed with mine so far, been getting some good speed with the DC-HSDPA support, 15.5meg down and 2.5meg up has been the fastest so far.

JohnnyPanic

Been trying to order one of these all afternoon. Google walet crashes every time.
    “Uh oh. There was a problem.
    We couldn’t start your purchase because of a technical issue.”

Helpful – not
    Frustrating – very.

themoodster
    Free Member

Stick with it, you won’t regret it. Got mine third week of jan, it’s brilliant!

teethgrinder

Got one…16gb.

Nice.

andytherocketeer

€299 for 8gig
    €349 for 16gig
    on German Google Play store.

is it really €50 extra just for an extra 8gig of storage space? or am I missing something?

tempting though…

Few people on ski bash the other day had Nexus 7’s. Look tempting too.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

If you download the BOX app and register using your phone you’ll get 50gb free online storage too.

JohnnyPanic

Just discovered that these don’t support USB OTG.
    Disappointing.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

There is a way. The kernel doesn’t support it so it will require rooting and flashing a new kernel. You will also need a powered otg cable. There is a post here.

JohnnyPanic

Cheers for the link, bookmarked it. I think I’d seen the same thing or similar linked from XDA. It’s a cludge though.

Disappointing as from the advertising I’d assumed OTG was a given.
    My mistake. 🙁

Other than that though, the phone is fantastic.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I too was disappointed as i wanted it to control my dslr.

Cougar

There’s an app for (limited) non-root OTG support. Look on the store for “nexus storage” or something similar.

JohnnyPanic

Cougar, look under “Technical notes” in the app description.

“Technical Notes:

-DOES NOT REQUIRE ROOT!
    -The Nexus 4 hardware does not support OTG/USB Host and can not be supported.”

N4 cannot supply 5v to the port on it’s own.
    Should work on the N7 & N10 but not the N4

andytherocketeer

Had a feeling one or other device let you do USB OTG, but needed an (hacked?) external powered USB hub (plus any software/firmware hacks in the phone itself).

Not exactly a tidy way of having external storage for a phone, though.

Don’t remember where I saw it. Might have been Hak5 podcast? Dunno – need to catch up on them anyway.

JohnnyPanic

scholarsgate posted the link above.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not exactly a tidy way of having external storage for a phone, though.

You could just use a wi-fi enables portable storage device eg:

portable-wi-fi-storage-usb-3-0-hard-drive

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Portable-Storage-Wi-Drive/dp/B005KSXZR2

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Google nexus 4 in stock on Play store NOW!’ is closed to new replies.