Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Google maps on Android – Worst Update Ever?
  • rocket
    Free Member

Have we done this yet? Its gone from one of my most used and loved apps (would have paid for it) to an utter lemon in one update. New look maps seem to have less differentiation between different types of road, no my maps / places, meaning you can’t prep a journey or route at home then go and follow it, no map scale, no button zoom in / out etc (ok, I gaee up on it after that). Seems like they sucked all the useful features out and just put more ads in. Am I missing a way to access the stuff thats gone? Anyone happy with the new version?

DaRC_L

I am not happy with it -height markers have gone

Haze

My maps was the biggest loss for me, coming on the day we left for a weeks road riding in the alps.

simon1975

When did yours update? No changes recently on mine with Ice Cream Sandwich.

maxray
    Free Member

It was a surprise when I went to use it to navigate the other day but I got to speed with it quickly and quite like it tbh.

rocket
    Free Member

@ Simon – updated end of last week. Android v 4.1. The app icons for maps and Navigation disappeared from my home screen, so I downloaded the new version from the Play store. Not sure if this was a forced update from Google, or I somehow accidentally deleted the old icons.

I’ve just un-installed all updates for Maps which has given me the older version (with My Maps) back, but get the feeling they are going to force the new version on me again soon. The new version also deleted my cache of offline maps.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Get Waze

chambord
    Free Member

I only noticed the other day when I was using it to take me home from mums new house.

I’m happy with the update since it fixed the most annoying problem with the previous version – it now tells you which exit to take on a roundabout on the icon on screen.

EDIT: Should clarify I’m talking about the update to “Navigation”

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Hate it. When/if it works.

I’ve been looking at alternatives but I feel cheated that I have to replace something which was both free and useful.

seosamh77
    Free Member

you not just uninstall the update and find the apk file for the version you like a use that?

stumpy01

Just noticed this. Will give it a run this evening on the way home.

Don’t like the way you can’t add +/- zoom buttons though. I think this was either in labs previously or settings. Now it’s not available anywhere.
    Alternative routes doesn’t look as easy to access either.

Will give it the benefit on the doubt though, until I’ve given it a bit of use…

People who are unhappy with certain aspects; have you left feedback explaining what you think is no good? Unless you do this, changes won’t be made, so probably worth doing.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Is that why I can’t download maps for offline use anymore? That’s been **** me right off.

Google seem to be going a little bit MS recently, “Ohh look, our users like this, let **** with it so they don’t”

stumpy01

unklehomered….yeah. A lot of the complaints on the app feedback seem to relate to offline maps disappearing. They seem to have got rid of most/all of the ‘labs’ stuff that cached maps fell under.

clubber
    Free Member

Just noticed Maps is showing as due an update on mine. I’ll be backing up my apk and keeping it then…. If anyone needs it, let me know.

unklehomered
    Free Member

#prepares a yah booo google email

shadthebad
    Free Member

To cache maps, place the area that you want on the screen, then type “Ok maps” in the search box. It’ll then download the map for offline use.

You may have to mess around with zoom levels to get exactly what you want.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve updated now. It does look a bit different, doesn’t it… Like most, I think that the older version looked better though it looks easier to turn on the traffic layer which is a good thing and what I use most.

molgrips
    Free Member

At least you don’t have to deal with Here maps on Windows phone. It’s ok, but for some reason you only get really low res satellite imagery, and it won’t go to landscape mode!

chambord
    Free Member

To cache maps, place the area that you want on the screen, then type “Ok maps” in the search box. It’ll then download the map for offline use.

I actually thought you were joking.

clubber
    Free Member

That is bizarre… Offline maps to be removed in the future with this as a get around for those that really need it for the time being?

clubber
    Free Member

Apparently the ‘my maps’ section will be returning in a future version and presumably the more obvious way to download offline maps with it…

unklehomered
    Free Member

I actually thought you were joking.

+1

houndlegs
    Free Member

Uninstalled it yesterday and went back to the older version. I couldn’t figure out if you could set a route by tapping a point on the map,and I use this a lot.
    Going slightly off at a tangent,could someone explain offline maps to me. I downloaded a few for when I was away from WiFi on my hols,but even when away from WiFi I can still access all the mapping,not just the ones I downloaded, I can’t use all the options but I can’t use all the options on the ones I downloaded.
    What’s the point in downloading them? They both seem the same to me.

rs
    Free Member

they’ve dicked around with the web version too, no ability to right click and say directions to/from here, no my maps there either, Don’t know what their strategy is, but it seems backwards.

scotroutes

You don’t need right click, just left click at the destination, then on the little directions arrow (top left) and then either choose a saved place (like Home) or click somewhere else.

rs
    Free Member

You don’t need right click, just left click at the destination, then on the little directions arrow (top left) and then either choose a saved place (like Home) or click somewhere else.

yeah I figured it out, just like the old version, I’ve reverted back to “classic” google maps for now

jekkyl

I agree, bad update. It just doesn’t work, set the route and then press go and the little blue arrow is stationary on some place where I’m not. The car is moving but the arrow is not. I flick the map to where I know I am and there is a 2nd arrow pointing and moving in the right direction, eh? go figure. Also, it takes ages for the route to load, previously it was dead quick, it’s like they’ve made it rely more on a data connection so if you’re in G or lesser area you’re screwed.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s still got the awful rotate feature, too. Who wants to rotate a map on a phone?! The traffic info is pretty impressive, though

Kit
    Free Member

but even when away from WiFi I can still access all the mapping,not just the ones I downloaded, I can’t use all the options but I can’t use all the options on the ones I downloaded.
    What’s the point in downloading them?

For a while, Maps pre-cached maps you had looked at when you had a ‘net connection. I discovered this when I went to Japan and was able to use the maps without a connection. Very useful! But don’t know if it still does it – I think maybe it got replaced (again) with the set download area.

Interestingly, I’ve not had an update for Maps yet, but I’m on an older version of Android so maybe that’s why…

deviant
    Free Member

Did the update last week, the old system of having separate Maps and Sat-Nav apps worked well but i can see why they would want to combine the two….still getting used to it, the jury is still out.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

The less tacky way to cache offline is to click in the search box and scroll to the bottom where there’s a big friendly button.

I’m happy personally, as I’ve never used the my maps feature. For getting around a town/city you don’t know or finding people’s houses I think it’s better, but if you do more advanced stuff with it, I can see how it would be a bit disappointing.

stumpy01

Well, I tried it out on the way home from work and on the way to work this morning.

I normally use it every day as a guide to how bad the traffic is going to be and generally leave it on the route overview screen.
    This doesn’t seem to be as easy to navigate around as it used to be and it’s not so easy to turn traffic layers on and off while in the nav mode. You have to exit the navigation by going ‘back’ until you get to just maps.
    Also, the lack of +/- zoom buttons is a pain. Hopefully they will add them in as a lot of people seem to be grumbling about that.

I also don’t like the way you can’t go to ‘alternative routes’ while in the nav mode, but you have to go ‘back’ to the maps screen and flick between the options, rather than being able to toggle through them as buttons at the top of the page. It looks slick, but seems to be a step backwards in terms of functionality.

They have tried to tie the appearance in with Google Now with I tried for a few weeks, but found it wasn’t really coming up with anything I didn’t already know, so I turned it off.

clubber
    Free Member

The thing I really don’t like is that roads are mainly all white with ‘main’ A roads or motorways being orange. Thing is that motorways are always usually blue and it looks like not all A roads show as orange even though some white ones are at least as big or important in terms of linking places as some that are orange.

Not a great change unfortunately though I expect they’ll now improve it to keep the good bits and remove the bad stuff.

As I said, if anyone wants it, I have the old version I can share.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Google maps on Android – Worst Update Ever?’ is closed to new replies.