Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Goodwood FOS – Thursday vs Friday
  • Speeder

I’ve done a quick search of their website but can’t find anything definitive.

The Thursday is a moving motorshow where as the Friday is a normal FOS day. Any idea what each entails? Is the Thursday exclusively given over to this and there’s less of the normal stuff to see or what? I can go either day but it’s a packed weekend so I’d rather go on the Thursday to give a bit of separation if possible but I don’t want to do that if it’s a lesser experience. There’s a reference to it being disappointing on here.

Anyone have any experience of the Thursday? Worth bothering? (I’m not in the market for a new car and I want to go see all the tech mainly)

Cheers

Gary

frogstomp

Go Friday.. don’t think much of the action (hill climb, rally stage etc) will in operation on Thursday so will be pretty dull.

Speeder

Bu663r that’s what I suspected.

So my weekend will be A day on my feet at Goodwood, followed by a morning wandering around Cheltenham followed by 6 miles of xc running hell in the shape of Mud runner, followed by a 40th birthday pissup in a field, followed by camping then looking after my 2 toddlers on my own on the Sunday. Looking forward to it. ;o)

frogstomp

It can be a pretty knackering day out, especially if it’s hot.. but well worth it! 8)

Markend
    Free Member

Thursday is not too bad – not just the Moving motor show. Most of the classic cars, racers etc will be in the paddock and there’s way less people wandering around. The BMX/MX stuff will be happening as well.

This year they are running the supercars up the hill on the Thursday as well and there is usually some action on the Rally stage as well.

If you can only do one day I’d do Friday, but if you’ve got a crazy weekend that weekend then go Thursday.

m1kea
    Free Member

FoS has got really popular and busy in recent years, possibly too busy.

We’ve been going for the past 10 years and have never picked a day based on who’s there or what’s going on. If you’ve never been before then you’re unlikely to ‘miss’ anything per se as there’s stacks to see and do.

Be prepared for loads of wandering about, especially if you do the rally stage up the (surprisingly) steep hill. I’d also recommend getting there as early as possible (before 9)

Speeder

Thanks guys I may well book Thursday then as I could do with a day off in between to prepare for the weekend. It’s mostly a professional visit so it’s not that much bother if I miss something but it’s a fair hike from Cheltenham and I’d like to get the best out of it.

frogstomp

If you look around there are usually free tickets for the Moving Motor Show floating about..

m1kea
    Free Member

Speeder

We’re quite local so don’t get caught in the traffic which I gather can be pretty bad. As you’ve got a 2+ hour drive I’m not sure what to recommend; get there early to avoid the local queues or arrive later to avoid the joys of the M4/M25/M3/M27 etc

Speeder

It all become academic now as I’ve just had a meeting arranged for the Thursday afternoon so Friday it is. Cheers for all the help.

m1kea cheers for the advice – I think i’ll make sure I set off decently early on the Friday morning to get there for 8ish. No doubt there will be some traffic but at least it shouldn’t be as bad as the weekend (though I guess it mingles with the commuters so probably makes it worse)

m1kea
    Free Member

🙂

There’s car parks all around the estate and you’ll get directed accordingly based on where you’ve come in from. Be prepared for a bit of a walk from them.

Referring to this aerial view – http://goo.gl/maps/BRzGF

The super car paddock and Style et Lux cars are in the area SW of the main house.

The concrete hard standing to the NE is where the F1 cars etc are mustered.

All the big trade and manufacturer displays are inside Park Road and extend round the cricket pitch you can see.

If you zoom out and head north towards Goodwood racecourse, you’ll see an open area N of Birdless Grove. This is the top of the hill climb and the mustering point for the rally stage.

Do a search of Goodwood FoS aerial pictures and you’ll see how much stuff gets erected there.

Enjoy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Goodwood FOS – Thursday vs Friday’ is closed to new replies.