Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Good, waterproof, winter MTB gloves..do they exist?
  • myti
    Free Member

I have done a forum search and not come up with much so any suggestions would be great. Warm to a few degrees below, waterproof and not too bulky. Mainly for riding singletrack and cross country so good grip on the braking fingers also. Cheers!

grilla
    Free Member

Endura Strike work fine.

shredder
    Free Member

Endura Nemo job done.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get to Aldi next Thursday 🙂

The only other gloves which have kept my mitts warm (which came as a shock) are the Spesh Enduro gloves.

_tom_
    Free Member

Aldi gloves are crap. I had numb hands wearing them the other day for a quick 45 min road ride and its only September! Mind you I think my circulation is pretty terrible, I always have numb extremities when it gets a bit cold.

lee170
    Free Member

+1 for endura strikes, been using mine for 3 years now. Really good winter glove, not to bulky either.

simonjj
    Free Member

Been looking at this myself recently, top 3 for me from various reviews were Fox Antifreeze, Scott Minus and Royal Racing Minus.
    Gone for the Royal Racing but may get the Fox as well if any good deals come along.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Stay away from seal skins!!!

widge34
    Free Member

Fox anti freeze are brilliant.

ask1974
    Free Member

Some good threads last winter on this. I bought some Castelli neoprene gloves and they are the only thing that’s worked for me, almost too good.

Link to thread I started

Here is a bigger thread with lots of input;

Gloves that keep your hands warm

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 Fox Antifreeze

johnnystorm

Glacier Gloves.

£45 from bike shops, £20 from window cleaning suppliers. Totally waterproof welded fleece lined neoprene.

mintimperial

I’ve got some Endura Strikes and some Sealskinz. Neither of them are waterproof on account of how they’ve got massive holes in them so you can fit your hands inside.

Having said that, I spent ten hours with my hands in sopping wet Strikes on the top half of the WHW on Sunday and it only took a couple of days before I got all the feeling back in my digits, so I suppose that’s tolerably good performance. 😐

myti
    Free Member

Hmm..i did like the look of the strikes. Cheers for the input

superfli
    Free Member

Fox Antifreeze look nice, and are comfortable.. but that is all. They wear very quickly and are not warm enough IME.

I now have Answer Strike Neoprene gloves. They are much warmer, much tougher and fairly waterproof.

When it is really cold though, I use some old motorbike gloves.

myti
    Free Member

Might have to go with the fox on consideration

Sanny
    Free Member

Big thumbs down for Endura’s from me. They are fine until you start squeezing the brakes and the water seeps through the fingers. Bit of a flaw for a waterproof glove. 🙁 I also returned a pair as the stitching came apart after a few wears. Sadly a bit of a common theme for both me and my misses with Endura gear. I don’t like being negative about a Scottish company but I’ve been stung by their products failing one too many times. Others may well have had a better experience.

Similarly, Sealskinz aren’t that great either. I’ve now switched to Gore gloves and they seem to work considerably better.

loddrik
    Free Member

Endura Strike work fine.

Mine have been though 4 winters and still going strong, the inner can be a pain at times as it isn’t sewn in but if mine gave up tomorrow I’d buy another pair in a second.

Ringo
    Free Member

My strike let the rain in if its very wet, I’m looking for something else this year

cinnamon_girl

Surely you can’t avoid bulky gloves for Winter?

I vote for … wait for it … Gore. Girlies know a thing or two about cold! 🙂

davieg
    Free Member

Having said that, I spent ten hours with my hands in sopping wet Strikes on the top half of the WHW on Sunday and it only took a couple of days before I got all the feeling back in my digits, so I suppose that’s tolerably good performance

Funny that, my Strikes were soaked within a few miles and the hour I spent on the WHW on Sunday too. I think there is waterproof and then there is West Coast Scotland proof.

neninja
    Free Member

Got a pair of Sealskinz and another of Altura – the biggest downside with both is that the liner is not attached at the fingers to every time you remove them you have to be careful not to pull the liner inside out.

Trying to put cold wet hands in when the liner has got messed up is a nightmare.

Northwind

Any glove with a liner that turns inside out is hopeless, fit for the bin…

My Endura Strikes were, I suppose, water resistant but they wetted through pretty quickly. Disappointing, sent them back, got a refund but Endura didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with them.

Fox Antifreeze are warm when dry, but not that waterproof- bizarrely the waterproofing is on the inner glove so the outer shell waterlogs and gets very cold. Weird. Good to ride in though- warmer than most bulkier gloves. Agree with the comment up the page about lifespan, the shell cracks off the thumbs a bit too quickly. But overall, very good IMO.

Glacier Gloves Perfect Curves for proper cold, or cold and wet. They’re a bit odd to ride in- squishy palms, takes some getting used to- and fingers do get sweaty and smelly but they’re the only thing that keeps me genuinely warm.

excitable1
    Free Member

Forget the Endura gloves. I used for 3 years and thought they were ok but when I’d worn them out and tried some Gore gloves I realised what I’d been missing. Warmer, completely water proof, loads more grip, and no inner lining to have to mess about with every time you wash them. I’ve used the Countdown glove for 2 harsh winters and they’ve been fine but the Fusion would be warmer again. You do get what you pay for with Gore and there’s always some money off somewhere.

myti
    Free Member

Right i’ve changed my mind about 10 times now but fox and endura are off the list and Gore is on. Would rather spend a bit more if they are actually going to work…

singlecrack
    Free Member

Scott neoprene enduro motorcycle gloves for me

RustySpanner

The Aldi ones really are very, very good.

Much better and £36 cheaper than my Sealskinz.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

johnnystorm – Member
    Glacier Gloves.

£45 from bike shops, £20 from window cleaning suppliers. Totally waterproof welded fleece lined neoprene.

These. Every other winter gloves pales into insignificance. As NW rightly says, they stink, are squidgy (in a good way) and are too hot, but in true winter conditions, they are amazing.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Sealskinz are great. Just take care not to pull the liners out when you take ’em off.

widge34
    Free Member

My Fox Antifreeze gloves have been used and abused and there is no sign of them falling apart. I’m very impressed with them.

kcal

will throw Endura Deluge into the fray. Haven’t felt they;’ve let me down (only one winter in though).

My Endura gear has been pretty good have to say, not had cause for complaint — I snapped the clip on my Spray baggies and got a new belt AND a clip back no problem. Sizing is main bugbear. Jackets, shorts (especially my original MT500s, still going strong), socks – all fine..

Did I mention Endura sizing? when a Small pair of shorts that are fine; another pair of another make of shorts – fit for an elephant maybe!!

MarkE25

Glacier gloves here. Struggled for a while to find a decent pair of winter gloves, but really like these.

Sancho
    Free Member

I love the Fox Antifreeze, done a number of motorbike enduros with them in the past few years and never had issue, and sealskinz are totally warm if a bit bulky, keep them for the cold roadie days and for the africa twin

pennine
    Free Member

I ordered a pair of Glacier Gloves a few days ago. Just hope they work! About £28 with VAT and postage.

here

Bregante

Thanks to those who mentioned the Glacier gloves as I remembered reading a very positive review on them last winter but never got round to buying any. I’d completely forgotten about them but have just bought a pair of these.

Initial Review: Glacier Outdoor Perfect Curve Winter Glove

From http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk

johnnystorm

Glad someone was listening regarding Glacier gloves. So many cycling gloves fail to do their job. 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I missed out on the Lidl gloves 🙁 Looks like its some expensive Glacier Gloves then 🙂

What temperature can you use them up to? ie I use finger less gloves to about 10 degrees, then my fingers get a bit cold. I’m guessing Glaciers are too warm above zero?

What cheap full finger glove for autumn ? 😆

epicyclo

I found all the waterproof gloves I bought would get sweaty on a long climb, and that was the end of being warm. I have a large box of expensive gloves that are only good for an hour or so riding in poor conditions.

The best gloves I got were hairy wool gloves from Tesco for £5. Luckily I bought several because I haven’t seen them since. They could handle a bit of light drizzle and snow because it would bead on the hairs instead of soaking through. I used to carry a spare pair inside my base layer and if they got damp, I’d swap them over.

They were so good I used them in 3 ‘Puffers. 3-4 pairs were good for the 24 hours. They’re all worn out now and I haven’t seen anything else to replace them.

The very best solution is a set of handlebar muffs (Pogies), but in a wet country where so many people won’t fit mudguards, I suppose that won’t be a popular suggestion. Then any thin breathable glove does the job.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey man go for some Gore gloves you won’t regret it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Good, waterproof, winter MTB gloves..do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.