Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Winter gloves that actually keep your hands warm ?
  • spesh
    Free Member

I was struggling this morning with cold hands on my 35 minute commute. I’m currently using a pair of Endura Strike gloves but they just don’t seem to cut the mustard.

Any recommendations for gloves that will keep me warm but still allow me to control my bike ? Anyone use the Sealskinz Handlebar Mitten lobster style gloves ? If so, are they any good ?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Aldi Winter gloves, they have none on sale at the moment but search for Crane Winter cycling gloves on ebay.
    Kept my fingers warm through the coldest days last year

ton

i wore merino liners with snowboarding mitts this morning. i was pretty warm.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Been using Fox Antifreeze gloves for a couple of years now. If your hands get too warm, pull out the liners.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I quite like my Pearl Izumi Select Shoftshell gloves that I’ve been given. Kept my hands warm down to a few degrees below. Also, your normal gloves plus a set of these (or a version knocked up from old socks) can be surprisingly warm.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive had my spesh bg deflect gloves a year now – they are bloody mint! i wore them with a thin merino wool liner glove last night in -4..hands were absolutly toasty – soon as i got to the car and took them off i was freezing cold, so they did a great job!

no rain mind – so i guess if it was belting it down then something a bit more waterproof/thicker might be needed

jonba
    Free Member

Something realtively loose with a silk liner glover underneath. You need to keep your arms and wrists warm as well so try and find some with a good long cuff and a jersey/baselater that is nice and long.

Liners came rom decathlon and my gloves are either some sealkin things or altura nightvision.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you can manage with lobster gloves then i can recommend the Craft Thermal Lobsters. Very toasty with a removable thermal liner, so quite versatile too.

superfli
    Free Member

I found Fox Antifreeze not upto the job at all. They are lovely looking gloves, and very nice to wear/good grip and feel, but they dont keep your fingers warm below 5 deg (my hands anyway). They also wear quickly, mine developed holes in teh palm after 1 winter.

I’ve recently got some Neoprene Answer Strike gloves

These held up nicely over the weekend in LongMynd were it was very cold and wet. My Fox’s certainly would not have. They did eventually leak cold water, but that probably seeped down my arm and into the glove. I’m really impressed with these.
    For a commute I would wear silk liners with them

pedalhead
    Free Member

Anything is better than the Endura Strike gloves in my experience. Without a doubt the most useless “winter” gloves I’ve ever owned. Currently, I’m quite liking my Glacier Gloves.

gonzy
    Free Member

i got given these by my work colleagues a few years ago as a leaving present
    they’re quite bulky and you don’t get the same amount of feel as a regular glove but they sure keep your hands warm and dry…

i’ve also got a pair of endura strike waterproof gloves which feel better on the bike but endura’s claim they are waterproof is a bit ambitious IMO…water resistant at the most but still a good glove

composite
    Free Member

I have a pair of the seal skin triple layered cycle gloves. Generally keep my hands warm and dry.

spesh
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have a look around at the gloves mentioned.

Pedalhead, I definitely agree with your ‘appraisal’ of the Strikes !

tonyd

I’ve got some Gore something-or-others, fingers were a little cold to start this morning but after 5 minutes or so they were fine. If/when it gets much colder I’ll probably add some thin liners.

PaulD
    Free Member

Remember to pack a spare pair because you will have trouble getting most ‘waterproof’ gloves back on after riding an hour.

Most turn iside out when removed or are just too wet to refit.

I dry mine in the airing cupboard with a kitchen roll card centre inserted to remove the water/sweat.

PaulD

convert

Counter intuitive but one of the best ways to keep your hands and feet warm is to get your core right. If your core is not cold your body will stop holding blood flow around the vital organs, more goes to the extremities and viola – warm hands!

zilog6128

I got some silk liners from The Mountain Warehouse for a tenner. Could probably get something even cheaper on line. Work a treat under my regular gloves.

Counter intuitive but one of the best ways to keep your hands and feet warm is to get your core right. If your core is not cold your body will stop holding blood flow around the vital organs, more goes to the extremities and viola – warm hands!

Not counter intuitive to me, makes perfect sense. Everything originates from the core. That is one of the fundamentals of Tai Chi right there!

TrentSteel
    Free Member

last 2 posts are arse gravy, can’t be arsed to write a long boring essay on why, but its just wrong. I suppose all those mountaineers lost fingers and toes due to frostbite cos their cores weren’t warm enough…

woody74

Just got some Craft Lobster gloves and they seem very good. Not really any padding on the palms but so far warm

rewski
    Free Member

I have these too, they actually make my hands hot n sweaty and smell like a hamsters cage

wheelie

Sugoi Firewall Z Waterproof Thermal Split Finger Gloves. Best i’ve found and i have rubbish circulation. Rode in this morning….as warm as toast! When it gets like -10c then i have a really good liner glove inside……so get them big enough to accomadate them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Recently got some 661 Storm winter gloves. Can’t say I’m particularly liking them.

tonyd

Not quite sure I’d go as far as arse gravy, but I would question the core thing too. My core was toasty this morning, as were most parts, but my toes were numb.

I think the key is to be warm in general anyway (esp core) and to encourage blood flow by movement – pretty much everything was moving around this morning to some degree so blood flow was good. Toes being toes and probably not wiggled enough got less blood/warmth so went numb.

Note – after locking my bike away I walk ~300m to my office building in flip flops, by the time I got there my toes were OK yet my core would have cooled a little.

yogionabike
    Free Member

I went out wearing a pair of Mavic infernos lastnight – they were very warm

Northwind

Haven’t received them yet but I just ordered a set of Perfect Curve Glaciers, which are supposed to be waterproof and toasty. I’ve got slightly ropey circulation so it’s hard to keep the ends warm, been getting good results from Fox Antifreeze but still not perfect

(the nice thing about the Antifreezes is that they’re well shaped and don’t have stupid pads or overthick palms- for some reason loads of winter gloves are covered in gel things. These are just like normal gloves, a wee bit bulkier and stiffer but not so as to be a thing)

Trent Steel – Member

last 2 posts are arse gravy, can’t be arsed to write a long boring essay on why, but its just wrong. I suppose all those mountaineers lost fingers and toes due to frostbite cos their cores weren’t warm enough…

Don’t think anyone’s saying “Keep your core warm and your extremities will always be fine”. But if your core’s freezing, then the best gloves in thr world won’t keep your hands toasty. It’s a joint effort. Hot boiler for hot radiators.

weeksy

I wear Oxford Chill-out gloves and they’re brilliant… They’re techincally motorbike ‘inners’ but work as a loose fitting and un-restrictive MTB glove really well.

gonzy
    Free Member

Rewski – haha! not sure what a hamsters cage smells like but i’ll take your word for it…but actually you’re right they get get a bit sweaty…
    pedalhead – actually you’re right…the endura strikes are a bit shit…i dont even use them on the bike any more 😆

will
    Free Member

I use the same as Gonzy & Rewski. My hands are really quite bad at getting cold, so these work well.

convert

Well, my mountaineering texts are all at home so I’ll make do with a wiki quote for now :-

Causes – Inadequate blood circulation when the ambient temperature is below freezing leads to frostbite. This can be because the body is constricting circulation to extremities on its own to preserve core temperature and fight hypothermia.

So yes, that’s exactly what I’m stating – low core temperature is often a substantial reason for frostbitten fingers! 🙄

As Northwind states above – not trying to say that you could prance about all day with bare hands in sub zero riding a bike with lots of wind chill just because you’ve got a toasty gillet on but keeping your core warm is a key aspect to maintaining warm hands.

Who’s got the arse gravy dribbling out the corner of their mouth now 😉

Taff
    Free Member

Got some Endura gloves at home that got reviews…. rubbish! Bought some Aldi gloves and they are the best ones I’ve ever used.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for a warm core.

And warm arms/legs. I can wear my waterproof winter boots on a wet summers day if I’m wearing shorts as long as it’s not too hot. Conversely if I wear long socks and roubaix longs keeping my legs warm then they’re toasty right down to -10.

All to do with getting the blood nice and hot in your core, then insulating it on the way down your arms/legs to your fingers/toes. Letting your forearms or claves get cold means the bood vessels constrict and stop the warm blood from reaching your extremities. If you’re wearing shorts (or short sleves) in winter your far more likley to end up with cold toes 9or hands) regardless of how good your socks/boots are.

Another tip is keeping your hadns bone dry, I’ve been out in -10 with summer gloves on, they were fine for an hour untill i mpped some sweat off my brow, they then froze and took 20min to warm up again!

scottalej
    Free Member

Not bike gloves but should do the job and cheap. Ski gloves, £4.99 on Sunday

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_28016.htm

thorpie
    Free Member

Received a pair of Gore Countdown gloves this morning, on afters today so will be cycling home at midnight. Will let you know.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s true – best way to warm your extremities is to wear a hat

matt_outandabout

I have ended up with inner liners and either Montane Extreme gloves or an old pair of pile lined (double on back of hands) winter mountaineering mitts (like Tough Bags). That works down to about -10 for me.

matt_outandabout

Oh and I wholeheartedly agree with this:

Anything is better than the Endura Strike gloves in my experience. Without a doubt the most useless “winter” gloves I’ve ever owned.

I even called Endura an pointed out some issues with them – they agreed with the issues.

hammerite
    Free Member

Specialized Sub Zero.

csb

TK Maxx have some some Drop snowboard gloves in at the moment. Neoprene outer, grippy rubber plan and fingers, bendable and waterproof. 12 quid and they’re ace.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I use Mammut work gloves. Good for sub zero, more of a mountainering glove.

sam_commencal
    Free Member

These are really good – especially for the price. I’ve had warm hands on my sub zero 14 mile commute but they aren’t too sweaty
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXWINGL/planet_x_wind_block_gloves

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves that actually keep your hands warm ?’ is closed to new replies.