Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good rockclimbing/bouldering tutorial dvd
  • minzo
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good climbing tutorial dvd or web video? Just starting out and I really need to improve my technique

geoffj

😯

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hard Grit is the only DVD you need 🙂

Climbing, like bike technique, is best learnt following someone who is way better than you. I spent Sunday morning getting schooled by Emil Lindgren, (8th MTB worlds this year), and it was crazy how much I learnt by just following lines and body position.

Googel Neil Gresham as he’s done a lot of climbing technique stuff

turtleheading
    Free Member

Neil Gresham does some good tutorials. Worth a look even for the better climbers out there.

http://www.climbingmasterclass.com/dvd.asp

rickon
    Free Member

Technique is no substitute for power. The only substitue for power, is more power. 😉

I’d recommend Aquamarine, as it’s bouldering where I used to spend all my days, and stars my mates.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

When i was climbing last night, i over heard an instructor telling his group to try to climb quietly with your feet as the more noise from your feet, the more energy you use etc.

Have been climbing since June on a consistent basis. I learnt loads by going on a course and intend to do another one once i feel i can’t get better by myself. Its also interesting watching some of the more experienced climbers – they look very graceful on the wall. I’ve mainly got better by lots of practise and trying things like thinking about my position as i climb ie trying not to be square onto the wall and also trying harder routes out of my comfort zone.

rickon
    Free Member

OK, I’ll try to be a bit more constructive… I used to boulder up to V9 until I moved to a city and stopp climbing, so should be able to help a bit.

Try to climb slowly, and flow between moves – so reduce how much you jerk with your feet and hands. Place your feet deliberately, and think about your footwork, good footwork will help you push grades.

Visualise a problem before climbing it, look at the holds and the gaps between and work out how you’re going to climb between them before hopping on the problem.

Downclimb everything you find easy, this will help your lockoff strength.

Train to climb, don’t just climb. Jump on a pullup bar, and take a look at 10-minute workouts – Metolius had some details on their website for this if you google it.

If you’re serious about getting stronger, you’ll need to climb at least 3 times a week and train between.

Think ‘light’ and ‘smooth’ when you’re climbing.

If you can, do attend a training class as it will help – but the best help you can get is to train with someone – training with someone better than you will help you push your grade – but having someone at your level will make you competitve and try harder and more bolder moves.

The biggest tip is to climb outside. Real rock is a sure fire way to get stronger and to open your mind – climbing by colours is good for training, but when you go outside you’ll be overwhelmed with the choice for feet, smears and poor holds.

Grab yourself a guide and spend a week in the peak, north wales, lakes, just climbing stuff – or get yourself down to Font and be spolit for choice.

As for routes…. I can’t help you there, not my scene – I couldn’t stand the faffing around.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

If enough of you are interested, I’ll take you out for a 2-day ‘intense’ instructional day in the Peak and teach you what you need. I can also do multi-pitch(summer conditions only) but that’s a bit more and only 1to2.

I was relatively awesome, F8a+ which isn’t bad for a 12stone lump + onsighted E5 and E6…..put up loads of new routes etc etc.

Oh, and qualified to do so.

Usually costs quite a bit but I’ll knock it right down for STW peeps? I think I might be in breech of STW code of conduct atm, so best stop right now…got a bit carried away, sorry.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

…having said that, I climbed E4 this season with just a little conditioning and a few easy routes to warm up on. Again, quite respectable if I say so myself 😛

LoveTubs
    Free Member

…that’s it, I promise not to say anymore 🙄

LoveTubs
    Free Member

…ok I’ll do it for a bottle of stans 😯

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gresham climbing DVD that’s not needed any more. I think its the first one but will check tonight if interested. £10 posted?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Good rockclimbing/bouldering tutorial dvd’ is closed to new replies.