Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Good Natural Route in North Wales
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Eldest son is working the Next Sale and has to be in Chester at 6am on Saturday morning 😯 FFS !

So, I was planning to carry on into North Wales but I was looking for something new.

Done Snowdon, Caddir Idris, Conway Mountain/The Drum, Big loop around the Llandrillo etc and the The Clwyds.

Can anyone recommend a good natural 40k+ ride with some good descents and rock (as opposed to deep mud). Are there some good rides around Llangollen ?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Could always ride from Llangollen up through World’s End, along the ‘planks of doom’, joining Llandegla for a quick loop then a fast blat down to Llangollen? You’re either on country lanes or trail centre, so not too much mud.
    Might not be your cup of tea, but we love it!

lowey

Sorry for the hijack, but you got a link to the Big loop round Llandrillo ?

Russell96

Glyn Ceriog area perhaps? There’s rock of course mud it Wales after all and usually some seriously deep puddles to ride thru, but there are some belting descents to be had. It’s one of those quiet MTB areas which I’ll probably get a slap for mentioning.

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes

tazzymtb

*slaps russell96 around the back of the back of the head* fool! 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Glyn Ceriog area perhaps?

The fella said no mud for crying out loud.

It‘s used to be one of those quiet MTB areas

Rorschach
    Free Member

*pokes russell96 in the eye whilst he stumbles dazed from Tazzy’s assault*

schnor
    Free Member

*slap* 😛

A lot of ^^ those routes around llangollen are pretty muddy (and a fair amount of sh*t) ATM, so may not be your thing. I did a variation on route 5 last monday and didn’t see anyone else about though, so its lovely and quiet 🙂

[edit]

too slow to get the first slap in…

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. I have no mates and ride alone so won’t be spreading the word too far so perhaps the slaps for Russel96 are undeserved.

Lowey, you’ve got mail with a 57k route around Llandrillo and Llangynog. Check your trash and anti spam files though because my GPX files sometimes push e-mails in there for some reason !

excitable1
    Free Member

Has anyone got a GPX of on these routes that they would be willing to share please ?

E-mail in profile. Thanks.

PS Anyone done Moel Siabod. I’ve got a route for that. Worth doing ?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Anyone done Moel Siabod. I’ve got a route for that. Worth doing

I am local to the area, and yes the Siabod route we do regularly, its worth doing, start a the marin car park, do the first half of the marin, link off to the Siabod loop, and rejoin the Marin at the Ugly house climb. A good 3 hour ride, taking in a good mix of different stuff.
    The rutted double track on the flanks of Siabod will be wet I guess but its not deep mud and can still be fun, highlights are the short rocky descent back down the old riverbed to the road which is great, and trying to clean the short steep rocky climb from Dolwyddelen. Pretty easy in the dry, really tricky in the wet 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

I done that today!! Only I broke off via Llyn Colwyd and carried on over to penmachno and did that too.Tired I am.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

I would most certainly recommend coed-brenin to you, I know it’s not natural but please don’t let this put you off! As long as you wear the correct armour and have reasonable control of the bike you should be ok on the blue routes, once you’ve mastered the blue, you can progress onto the red, I have worked myself up to a descent called false teeth now which is a black route, I wouldn’t try this just yet as its extremely technical and you would need a suitable bike aswell, such as a long travel full suspension or downhill bike capable of such tasks. Good luck with your venture and stay safe.

excitable1
    Free Member

rupertpostlethwaite

I have been watching your behaviour across this forum and have decided you look like this:

Rorschach
    Free Member

trailhound
    Free Member

I live in Llangollen and would be happy to show you some great natural, technical stuff or I would be if I hadn’t come off and hit a tree last week on the Marin! Doc says gotta rest my wrist 4a couple of weeks but it’s still tempting as doesn’t seem too bad! Would be happy to show you around another time!

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

excitable1 – Member

Why would one say such a thing? Have you ever even been to coed-y-brenin? …. I bet not! 🙄

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOvmRSYeSJY&feature=related[/video]

excitable1
    Free Member

Why would one say such a thing? Have you ever even been to coed-y-brenin? …. I bet not!

I’m not playing…!!!

excitable1
    Free Member

…then again.

rupertpostlethwaite: I’m really worried, I’ve always wanted to go to CYB but I’m not sure if I have the right armour for those blue routes. I’ve had a look at the route on YT and there some fookin massive turns in there that really make you lean over. Even if I had the right armour what tyres do I use, there are soooo many different kinds of terrain out there that I don’t think any one tyre choice would get me round. Energy bars though, what the hell can I take that’ll give me the energy to get me round without collapsing and dying….

Help me rupertpostlethwaite, you’re my only hope !!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Good Natural Route in North Wales’ is closed to new replies.