Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Good Day Bad Day – just joined the redundancy club
  • tails
    Free Member

Oh well it was kinda a relief as you know when you know its you but they spun it out for a good couple months, i did have some great sarcastic replies lined up but they are paying me until end of august so i kept them to myself.

The good bit i was awaiting some blood test results, which results could have been far graver, so moments after the bad news of the being made redundant I got the chills as a text came through from the NHS but all the results were positive (well actually negative but thats positive)

Anyway whilst your reading if anyone needs a furniture or exhibition designer with a HND in cabinet making a degree in contemporary furniture and product design, 2 years work experience and a owner of a lovely santa cruz chameleon – I'M YOUR MAN!! 😀

crazy-legs

I know this great pyramid home earning scheme you could join…

😉

Seriously, all the best. I was in the same situation at Christmas and, although I'm now re-employed (with the same company!), redundancy actually had a lot of hidden benefits.

tails
    Free Member

Ay well i gotta a bit of money and know real debts (student loan) no mortgage thank god. i was just thinking about tomorrows bike ride. I should be down but i feel pretty relieved to be honest, plus i got to chat up the chick from blackpool who worked in The Dole callcentre alas there are no jobs on the big dipper.

i see that pyramid thing, what a **** trying to prey on the unemployed mtbers hope he rides through a dog egg.

tails
    Free Member

Actually anyone got any advice, it was my first job after uni and as such my first redundancy. So far I have applied for "The Dole" am going to have a reshuffle of my CV and see whats out there 😕 Any other things I should be doing? Perhaps getting part time work or volunteering. Does volunteering really endear you to future employees?

woody2000

Think about it. Here's your CV –

"Spent 6 months sitting on my arse playing X-Box."

"Spent 6 months helping "X" in my local community. During this time I've learnt X,Y and Z".

Simples

mrsflash
    Free Member

Me too tails 🙂 Welcome to the club. finish mid september.

tails
    Free Member

haha that might be your CV woody but mine is better than that, still I think games testing can pay quite well. 😉

Yeah what kind of work do you do MrsF? whilst it is a arse not having an income its such a relief not to be working with david brent anymore.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I'm an account manager in the print / direct mail industry. You?

richc
    Free Member

I find out a week today if I have got a job, if I get 'selected to participate in the workforce management program' and my position gets 'best shored' I will be finishing end of Oct.

Thing is staying will be worse than going, as they will have hardly anyone left, and the latest management buzzwords/strategy is based around the 20:80 theory. 20% of the effort, gives 80% of the results so the new plan is to aim to get things 80% done as that way we enable people to do five times as much in the same amount of time ……………

firestarter
    Free Member

mrs f you didnt work at a place near the coal road did you in ls14 not long since ?

tails
    Free Member

i worked as a exhibition designer, but I am trained or have a degree in furniture design/cabinet making. I would much prefer to be designing furniture again much more rewarding.

Are there many jobs in your field?

20:80 theory

WTF? my old place if they had a problem rather than look at it a fresh they just added another form to fill in.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Mick, I did indeed. Left there to come here.

Sandwich

Look at it this way you can watch Le Tour live and then post spoilers in the bike forum to annoy the wage slaves 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

edit delete 😉

thought it was you but id not seen you for a while so wasnt sure did a fire safety inspection there a bit back

richc
    Free Member

best of luck tails, and fingers crossed you find something better

project
    Free Member

As one drawer shuts another opens,just make sure the drawer has a base,and good runners.

When they made you redundant did they show you the door, or ask you to design a door,useing your artistic and design skills.

Anyway best of luck job hunting.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

why not start your own business? if i had a practical skill like yours id be tempted to do that(tax free if your careful) but i dont as i run a bike shop

i bet theres tons of grants/loans about at the mo for startups,i got bugger all 6 years ago…id really struggle doing the wage thing now

danceswithcats

Get in touch with Next Step. They're run by an arms company (Vosper Thorneycroft Services), unfortunately, but they've got the government contract to supply information, advice and guidance (careers advice) for adults. If you get a good one, and there are lots of good advisers about, it works like a counselling session, allowing you to explore what you would like to do with them linking your thoughts up to what is possible.

As Cycleworlduk says, this is a pretty good time to be looking at self-employment; commercial property rents are flexible (ie desperate) and there are a lot of governmental and quasi-governmental support schemes about.

If you've got a skill and an interest, it's a shame not to use it. I spent twelve years doing things I just didn't care about because I thought I had to take the safe option, and, as we're all finding out, there really isn't a safe option anyway.

Best of luck. I'd take a week off to go cycling, anyway. You've earned it, from the stress of being made redundant.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Good Day Bad Day – just joined the redundancy club’ is closed to new replies.