Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • good coffee at work???
  • sefton
    Free Member

how can I drink good coffee at work? heard something about a mug (like a mini cafetiere???

where to get good ground coffee from too?

tails
    Free Member

just use a cafetiere?

CHB

aeropress are pretty good.
    As for coffee, i will leave to others to recommend, but I drink Taylors Rich Italian.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a 1 mug ( 3 cup) bodum cafetiere

An what evers on special at tesco on the way to work for coffee

Even thats a millions times better than nescafe.

The bodum mug cafieteres ok in a pinch i use it when away eith work but it aint great , does its job but keeps coffee hot for too long , by time you can drink it its gone minging on acount of the grind being trapped at base of mug 🙁 again still better than yanks coffee

Bregante

£10 filter coffee maker from tesco and whatever ground coffee that’s on offer works in my office (only 5 staff and a lock on the door though :lol:)

MoreCashThanDash

What TrailRat said – works for me.

(Flush the coffee grounds down the loo, or you will block the work sink and be VERY unpopular….)

miketually
    Free Member

Coffee grounds should unblock drains, I heard.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can’t cart a cafetiere round a prison & could be in 5 or 6 different departments in a day, so I use Lyons coffee bags & find them pretty much ok (adds the obligatory, ‘IMO’)although I tend to leave the bag in the mug to get a decent strength.
    14p a bag, suits me.

sofaking
    Free Member

Flush the coffee grounds down the loo, or you will block the work sink and be VERY unpopular

i have always chucked em down the sink with no blockages in years.

I have an aeropress that has only been used a handfull of times you can have for £15 posted. still has a near full complement of filters

maccruiskeen

If no one else is a (good) coffee drinker then buy a half decent flask* and keep a stock of good coffee at home. I’m enjoying the Hasbean ‘In my mug’ subscription at the moment, and different bag of beans through your letterbox every week . In the morning make one cafetiere for breakfast and another for the flask and take it to work with you. If you take milk then don’t add milk to the flask, add it when you drink it later. It’ll still be plenty warm enough at 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

By decent I mean really push the boat out – my little beauty cost £3 from Ikea. So long as what ever you use isn’t plastic inside it’ll be fine.

BigJohn

Drink water at work, just drimk good coffee at home.

Honestly, although you’ll have to train yourself to slake your thirst with just water. you.ll benefit massively from it.

I love my coffee (Gaggia Classic & Iberital grinder at home) but I only drink it morn & eve. The benefit of drinking water regularly (apart from cost) is that you can hydrate much better on rides.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Honestly, although you’ll have to train yourself to slake your thirst with just water. you.ll benefit massively from it.

I wish I could. I’m hardly ever ‘thirsty’ so forget that I need to drink more water. I really put my mind to it one day so everytime I had a wazz I replaced it with water, I was wazzing like a carthorse all day!

BigJohn

That’s what I said, you have to train yourself. I’m certain that if you’re not used to drinking plain water it just bounces off the sides instead of getting absorbed. It took me a while, but I’m glad I did it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Aeropress FTW.

Cafetiere for emergencies.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you have access to a source of heat for a stove top pot?

zokes
    Free Member

I’m stuck in a hotel with Nescafe for the next three weeks. I think I’ll nip to the supermarket for a cafetierre and some decent coffee tomorrow…

maccruiskeen

DO IT! (thanks for reminding me – off to spend a few days in a sheffield travel lodge tomorrow – must remember to pack some coffee and a jug)

warton
    Free Member

that Hasbean in my mug looks good, if a little expensive. I’ve promised myself a burr grinder, so I might go for that deal, i take it they’re beans and not ground?

maccruiskeen

i take it they’re beans and not ground?

correct – expensive compared to what though – its a lot to spring in one go, but you’re not paying much more per pack than you would for something pretty ordinary from a supermarket – personally I’d rather have good beans and a cheapo grinder than a fancy grinder and dull beans. When the Hasbean stuff lands on your door mat it was only roasted the day before.

One thing to watch for – the subscriptions that are branded as ‘green’ – thats not ‘environmentally friendly’ or some such – its green as in unroasted beans for you to roast yourself.

tonyg2003

Buy a super expensive Saeco like we have done for the company!

Lummox

Bought a cafetire mug from Robert days, works great and it’s insulated too. £6 if I remember correctly

manton69

I am sad enough to have gone and got a Gaggia Classic and installed it at work (all PAT testing and H&S boxes ticked). Hasbean grounds on the desk and I think I have probably coffee snob bit sorted. It does make a great cup and one of the best ways to start a day at work.

finishthat
    Free Member

Just pay the Barista working on the ground floor at the office? I suppose thats a bit flippant.. lucky us we have one in each building (3x).
    Lyons bags are OK , red box is better, Micro ground Starbucks stuff is
    expensive but does the job if you only have a kettle and do not want any mess.

convert

Started using a Aeropress a couple of weeks ago and very pleased with it. Take a little pot of coffee ground that morning to use and top up the output to make an americano type drink.

maccruiskeen

Micro ground Starbucks stuff is
    expensive but does the job

Maybe its ok with milk in but I can’t really tell the diffence between the micro ground stuff and regular instant when its black – very one dimensional

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tell you what isnt good ….. Kenco Millecano .. #tastes like sick

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had one of those Smart Cafe mugs, which is probably what the OP is referring to. TBH I only use it for camping type stuff now. Firstly, coffee isn’t quite the same out of a plastic mug. Secondly, when you get to the bottom, due to the design, it drips coffee all over your face and/or shirt.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is a significant improvement over a smartcafe mug and comes in an alu version – but does cost more and like i said before its propper twin skin vacuum so keeps coffee warm for AGES

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

<smug unhelpful post> we have a cup to bean machine that makes nice espresso </smug> 😈

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m stuck in a hotel with Nescafe for the next three weeks. I think I’ll nip to the supermarket for a cafetierre and some decent coffee tomorrow…

supermarkets don’t generally sell decent coffee, they do plenty of old stale stuff with far too much cheap robusta though.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I use one of these: http://theotherblackstuff.ie/machines/abid-clever-coffee-dripper/

Prefer the coffee it makes to Cafetiere and it’s just as easy to clean/desk friendly. Aeropress is great too.

Pook

I have a smart cafe cafetiere mug.£6 from amazon I think, and its ace.

porter_jamie

move employers! we have a 3 station costa coffee in the building.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Handpresso – bought for camping but gets kept in the office most of the time.
    Good – proper cup of espresso with creamy head, uses hot water from kettle, excellent coffee is available on line, pods cost around 30p each
    Bad – costs around £80 (but I reckon I saved the cost from the substandard espresso from the staff canteen in about 6 months), uses ese pods which have limited availability locally (it’s illey from 1 tesco, but there’s some good stuff on line), inflexible – it does espresso that’s it nothing else

personally, I love it.

EDIT – there’s one that takes ground coffee or pods. Bu99er wish that had been around last year

Pook

Costa coffee is shit. We have 2 in our building.

damion
    Free Member

Aeropress here too. Simple, quick and clean. I love it.

cranberry
    Free Member

Step 1. Buy Gaggia bean to cup machine

Step 2. Unpack and fill with beans & water.

Step 3. Switch on

Step 4. Press button for large coffee.

We pay ~ €0,80 per coffee at the restaurant in work. My Gaggia Titanium will pay for itself in 1000 coffees.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Nespresso machine is neat and hassle-free for the office, best to put it in a staff kitchen or similar for the noise though. Keep the capsules in your desk drawer to stop the great unwashed nicking them all…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘good coffee at work???’ is closed to new replies.