Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • gone and had my van remapped ( wow )
  • lazybike
    Free Member

There’s a “special” forum on Pistonheads for people like you.. 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Rightio here is an update now I have done another tank of fuel .

Tank before remap 33.89 mpg
    tank after remap 33.56 mpg

I have tried to drive as normal for most of this tank but have had a few mad moments to enjoy the power .
    and also had the air con on a bit these last 3 days so happy with the fuel usage and very happy with the drive-ability .

Am gobsmacked how it pulls in the higher gears should have had it done years ago

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for update ! I have had mates who have remapped Golfs and Galaxy. Always been positive. Thinking about a bike vehicle and have started considering Diesels with a remap 🙂

Did you think about Clutch / Dual Mass Flywheel considerations ? ie more power could over stress them ?

Edukator
    Free Member

Are you remappers happy with taking responsibility for the excess deaths caused by NOX and soot from your remapped diesels. If you know ther is a problem try not to be a part of it – and don’t deliberately make yourself one of the biggest contributors to the problem.

Guardain report on excess deaths

NOX deaths in London

legend
    Free Member

This thread just went full-STW

ulysse
    Free Member

Did you think about Clutch / Dual Mass Flywheel considerations ? ie more power could over stress them ?

Just use the old “powerful 4wd driveshaft saver trick”

Don’t hoof it in first, Jamba

I remember the look of surprise a 600 Bandit rider looking for sport with a range rover had on his face as he dusted me from the lights on the inside… But once my turbo spooled up in second 😈

giantalkali
    Free Member

He’d disappeared?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nope. NOx in dragsters is added to get more oxygen into the engine. In diesels, it’s a byproduct of the combustion and doesn’t do anything good in the engine.

Nitrous Oxide =/= Nitrogen Oxides, do not conflate the two. One is a specific compound (N2O) and the other is a catch-all term to describe the NO, NO2 and N2O compounds.

Furthermore N2O is commonly known as NOS not NOx.

(I realise you clarified that later but still wasn’t particularly clear)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Internet nobs with a crackpot green agenda are far worse.

Harmless compared to the life changing consequences of a ‘car tosspot’* overestimating their ability and selfishly treating the queens highway as their own playground.

* usually called ‘Scooby-John’, RS-Kev or GTI-Gazzer. For motorbike cocks it’s Dave the blade or Gixer John. Whatever it is they are all complete tosspots.

trout
    Free Member

yes I did think about the clutch and running gear
    and as I have had the van since new I figured the clutch will neen replacing soon any ways .
    how long do clutches last as this one is 148000 miles old .

so no change in fuel consumption or a small reduction when I fall back to driving normally
    one vehicle in the last 12.5 years and averaging 12000 miles a year I reckon there are far more bad poluters than me on STW mr Edukator

ulysse
    Free Member

* usually called ‘Scooby-John’, RS-Kev or GTI-Gazzer. For motorbike cocks it’s Dave the blade or Gixer John. Whatever it is they are all complete tosspots.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can I ask one genuine thing – is this still wrong in some people’s eyes – my old t5 was the 130 bhp version, VW made it with the same 2.5 engine in other versions inc. a 170 bhp. I found when carrying a lot for work it struggled a bit up hills so yes I had it remapped to make same output as 170bhp version, for a bit more low down torque and poke when needed. I wasn’t tempted to go for the 200bhp+ some people had done, wanted to stay within limits of what VW already used then. I used posh V power diesel too which is supposed to clean your engine etc. The van drove well, nice and smooth with enough grunt for all situations now, I don’t drive like a granny nor a boy racer, just boringly average. I guess maybe still a bad person to have done some might say but it did what I wanted without being OTT.

Diesels can be brilliantly simple engines, they produce as much power as you feed then diesel. There’s no ballancing, or tuneing, just turn it upto 11. Older and cheaper ebay tuneing kits simply tricked the engine into dumping more fuel in.

NOx is produced at high temperatures with excess oxygen.

Your 130bhp engine will have turbos, egr and intercoolers and engine maps designed to keep the temperatures as low as possible whilst recirculating as much exhaust gas as possible to keep excess oxygen out. You can easily dial the boost up, blank off the EGR and turn the injectors on for longer and get more power and maybe even better mpg. But combustion temperatures (intercooler nonlonger big enough) and oxygen concentration go up so NOx is produced.

Youre also trying to squeeze more fuel through the same injectors. So it wont atomise properly. In the heat of the engine the droplets burn before they vapourise meaning they turn into soot (as theres no oxygen at the center of the droplet). So the endgine produces far more particulate emissions too.

If VW could make a 170bhp van from the same parts as the 130bhp version, with no hit on mpg or polution, why wouldnt they? They would sell more vans as the comparable transit would only have 130bhp or whatever. The truth is they cant. A re-map can because it never gets tested as rigorously.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@trout thanks, 148k that clutch owes you nothing ! Car I am looking at has a 130bhp petrol model and the 105 diesel – so perhaps clutch / flywheel are different but “the car” can handle it. Definitely leaning towards a remap if we go for that car in diesel which is likely as there are so few petrol models available used

ulysse
    Free Member

Next thing to ponder, what’s more environmentally damaging, the handful percentage wise of remapped vehicles, or the poorly maintained tradesmens vehicles ran on a shoestring to scrape an mot every year.

Edit, on that note, I was behind a united utilities corsa van the other day that had clearly a leaking injector, so big businesses is equally culpable as the skint one man bands

ulysse
    Free Member

Jambs, petrol and diesel have differing torque curves, low down grunt in diesels, it’s why dual mass flywheels were developed for early Common rail TD’s, to stop them snapping drive train components

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thisisnot very interesting thanks, have heard justifcations about manufacturers havibg to cater for widely differing fuel quality too. Also it’s ironic to talk about testibg properly as we know no diesel (or petrol) has really been tested properly.

@ulysee thanks

Edukator
    Free Member

I reckon there are far more bad poluters than me on STW mr Edukator

It’s always someone else’s fault or there’s someone worse. Well here it’s you who’s just made your already dirty diesel absolutely filthy. You and those like you are the problem. There’s a thread on here because someone found a fast food box at the roadside – STW outrage, but litter doesn’t kill people in large numbers. Diesels, especially filthy remapped diesels, do kill people. And what do gain? It’s just easier for you to break the law, you don’t “need” that extra power, but people really need cleaner air.

It’s about time there was a proper exhaust gas test in the MOT.

sbob
    Free Member

ulysse – Member

Next thing to ponder, what’s more environmentally damaging

The answer is someone else.
    Always is.
    Special mention to the chap who only does 50% more miles than average.
    Have a pollution test cheating VW as a prize.

<insert slow hand clap gif here>

ulysse
    Free Member

Have a pollution test cheating VW as a prize

A pollution test cheating VW in only 2 states in the US where the emissions limits were effectively conceived to all but ban diesels, perfectly legal in the rest of the world. But don’t let facts get in the way of riding your high horse

ulysse
    Free Member

And you are aware that the official VW recall remap due to misinformation causing mass hysteria world wide, is more polluting than the original map?
    Mpg down to 30mpg, force regen to achieve the modified emissions limits the engine was never designed for, destroying egr valves in weeks, VAG running out of replacement egr valves, now on backorder with a lead time of months.

Slow handclap gif.

Kryton57

but litter doesn’t kill people in large numbers.

I note your concern doesn’t extended to animals or litter contribution to environmental degradation / pollution.

Trolling human killing diesel users whilst hypocritically telling people they are ignoring an alternate perspective is your new hobby I guess?

sbob
    Free Member

ulysse – Member

A pollution test cheating VW in only 2 states in the US where the emissions limits were effectively conceived to all but ban diesels, perfectly legal in the rest of the world. But don’t let facts get in the way of riding your high horse

The only thing getting in the way of riding my horse, which doesn’t run on diesel or petrol is the smog from your vehicles.

And you are aware that the official VW recall remap due to misinformation causing mass hysteria world wide, is more polluting than the original map?
    Mpg down to 30mpg, force regen to achieve the modified emissions limits the engine was never designed for, destroying egr valves in weeks, VAG running out of replacement egr valves, now on backorder with a lead time of months.

You know what isn’t more polluting?
    Using your car less.
    Thanks for demonstrating your sense of entitlement and spectacularly proving my point.
    It’s always someone else’s problem.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think everyone should take a read back. The green crusader comment was made in response to the ridiculous notion that a car driver and pedophile were somehow comparable.

But if you all want to look like utter fannys knock yourselves out.

milleboy
    Free Member

But if you all want to look like utter fannys knock yourselves out.

Isn’t that the sole purpose of this forum for some posters?

Kryton57

Isn’t that the sole purpose of this forum for some posters?

Not for me, I don’t need the help of STW to achieve that.

sbob
    Free Member

The green crusader comment was made in response to the ridiculous notion that a car driver and pedophile were somehow comparable.

It was a strong gambit, I think it still has legs.

milleboy
    Free Member

I think it still has legs.

I’m guessing, and forgive me if I’m wrong, that you’ve not been a victim of child abuse?

Jamie
    Free Member

*reads thread title*

*reads last page*

*scratches head*

sbob
    Free Member

milleboy – Member

I’m guessing, and forgive me if I’m wrong, that you’ve not been a victim of child abuse?

Not sexual abuse, no.
    But I have breathed in diesel fumes so am almost certainly qualified to comment.

milleboy
    Free Member

But I have breathed in diesel fumes so am almost certainly qualified to comment.

Really? Did you have years of councilling afterwards to come to terms with?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think this topic can broadly be summed up with a simple gif.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@thisisnot very interesting thanks, have heard justifcations about manufacturers havibg to cater for widely differing fuel quality too. Also it’s ironic to talk about testibg properly as we know no diesel (or petrol) has really been tested properly.

There’ll be an element of that, but I’d think the tests are done with whatever fuel is specified, and the testers are going to go out of their way to make sure it’s as good as practicable. That the engine then has to work in the real world everywhere from death valley to Colorado with a filthy fuel tank full of accumulated crap and fuels from all over the world is a slightly different issue.

As for testing, thats just whataboutism (like most of the arguments for remapping on this thread for some reason?). That the test is based on a flawed simulation of real driving which the engines get optimised to meaning they’re never as good in the real world is one thing. Then making the engine worse is still worse than a less than perfect starting point.

simondbarnes

Has it changed your insurance premiums at all?

aP
    Free Member

I live near Heathrow, I don’t fly. I guess that makes remapping our T5 ok, seeing as I breathe partially burnt jet fuel every day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I live near Heathrow, I don’t fly. I guess that makes remapping our T5 ok, seeing as I breathe partially burnt jet fuel every day.

I genuinely can’t tell if this is Poe’s law or Whataboutism.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Particularly as the poster chooses to live there….

ulysse
    Free Member

That the test is based on a flawed simulation of real driving which the engines get optimised to meaning they’re never as good in the real world is one thing

Were the potential profits so great that VW deemed fraudulently achieved emissions figures worthwhile? You need to question the marketing genius involved

ctk
    Free Member

Note to self “utter fanny” best insult ever.

Which is worse for the earth:

Keeping your diesel and using it as before for say another 10 yrs.

Or scrapping it and buying a new petrol car?

Kryton57

Or chucking litter liberally around Milton Keynes as some would silently endorse? C’mon we need balance here people.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#PeakSTW

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘gone and had my van remapped ( wow )’ is closed to new replies.