Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Going to give Tubeless a try on DT Swiss 5.1d
  • kwack
    Free Member

I have a DT swiss 5.1d front wheel and have purchased a bottle of sealant. Was going to give the 20″ ghetto trick a trial

Can any tyres be made tubeless or do I need to purchase specific tyres. I currently have MAxxis Swampthing on the wheel?

Any advice or tips before I make a mess

Cheers

Kwack

reggiegasket
    Free Member

non-tubeless tyres are usually fine, especially on the front. Backs tend to need USTs as they get more hammer (on a HT anyway).

Some tyres are quite tight, others are looser, so see how you go. I tape my front 5.1s to seal them, then fit a normal tyre with some sealant. Works fine.

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks How much tape did you put in and did you use a rim strip valve on top?

Kwack

firestarter
    Free Member

Did mine with bmx tube and Maxxis advantage and it holds up great

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I use two runs of this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-ROLL-19mm-x-50m-Crossweave-Reinforced-Tape-/180337800112?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&hash=item29fcf873b0

clean the rim bed, sand lightly, clean again with brake cleaner, dry off, then apply the tape as tightly and neatly as you can.

Make a hole for the valve, fit the valve – either a Stans valve or one cut from an old tube – then fit tyre, add goop, then inflate. I also add some sealant to the tyre bead witha an old paintbrush to help it seal and keep it airtight. I use a compressor.

Wiggle the wheel around professionally to get the goop in all nooks and crannies and then retire to the drawing room for canapes and Baileys.

kwack
    Free Member

@reggiebasket – did this work with just putting the tape on and a standrd tyre?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Maxxis tyres on my 5.1s are perfect 🙂

I used a rim strip (std) with thick rim tape (material type) over stans tape rim tape on std maxxis tyres if that helps.

kwack
    Free Member

so that is 3 rounds of rim strips?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I couldnt get the above to work, but found absolutely packing the tire with grass worked just aswell, and hey no more punctures.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup – but you can miss out the stans yellow rim tape if you use non-porous thick rim tape IIRC 🙂

Its all on Stans website:

http://www.notubes.com/support_selecting.php

DT 5.1 – Add one layer of 17mm Velox For most tires.

kwack
    Free Member

How did you get teh tyre to pump up. I have a velox strip + bmx tube and agter a tight squeeze got the tyre on the rim. But with a track pump I cant seem to get the tyre pumped up?

Kwack

foxyrider
    Free Member

If they are new tyres try leaving a tube in the over night and try it the next day. In this weather its gonna be difficult as the rubber is going to be very hard. In the end I used the garages air line as they were new tyres. Some tyres go up with a track pump and other are very difficult – some people use CO2 but stans say it can make the sealant go funny 🙂

kwack
    Free Member

They are old tyres- I might purchase a co2 to see if that helps as it feels as if it is just blosing the air out the side of the tyre

Tyres are Maxxis Swampthing

naokfreek
    Free Member

5.1 front and back, ust rear, folding front, gaffa tape, two valves from inner tubes, art latex, track pump….bingo.

first time was a bit of a faff but when i changed the latex, did the whole lot again knowing what to do….pretty simple, not even losing any air.

Highrollers f+r.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh BTW I presume you push down on the top of the tyre with your hand over the valve area as you pump?

kwack
    Free Member

So teh valve is at the top and you push down on the valve. There seems to be quite a ridge around the valve area so maybe the tubes are no good.

I will try doing it again and do you need to put lots of soapy water around the bead to assist seating?

At this stage I am just trying to get the tyre inflated before I put any sealant in or should I put the sealant in and then inflate

Cheers
    Kwack

bigdonx
    Free Member

Should be able to inflate without sealant to start with – but you may need lots of almost neat fairy liquid “painted” on around the bead to get it to seal enough to inflate.

EDIT – In my experience that is………..

D0NK

There seems to be quite a ridge around the valve area

sounds like somethings not seated right.
    I did get a maxxis dhr 2.35 dual ply on a 5.1 rim using a bmx tube, took a compressor to get inflated tho, did one big ride it was fine. Left bike in cupboard went back 2 weeks later it was flat with bead unseated. Reinflated and it just deflated again within 30 mins.

Did get a rimstrip for 5.1 but couldn’t get a dual ply or UST tyre on (and I shred single ply tyres) so rim strip for sale. Dunno if it was the battered old rim or not enough sealant. I rebuilt the wheel with a flow, used yellow rimstrip, valve, 2 turns of electrical tape and dual ply tyre. Again I needed a compressor but works fine. Same problem tho left it for a few weeks* and it’s flat but bead hasn’t unseated so more sealant, inflate, shake and it should be fine.

*big bouncy bike, it doesn’t get used very often

kwack
    Free Member

There seems to be quite a ridge around the valve area

The ridge is where the valve goes into the inner tube like around the valve piece.

At the moment I have the original rim strip in place, put in the bmx tube and seated the tyre – getting a swampthing on a 5.1d was extremely difficult. Then pumped with a track puimp but no joy.

Will try pressing down on the tyre on top of teh valve to see if that helps – but it just seems the air is going in the valve and out somewhere

Does any of the above look wrong?

Kwack

kwack
    Free Member

THis just doesnt seem to work. How many strips of rim tape do I need to put on as I am trying to get this to work with a bmz tube.

I have a velox cloth rim tape wound once
    Then inner tube

Should I put more rim tape on such as Duck tape or something

Ideas?

Kwack

br
    Free Member

I’ve 5.1’s and use a standard Stans rim tape cw valve and a cup of Stans liquid mounted with Nobby Nic 2.4’s. No problems whatsoever for the last couple of years.

Usually better to use new tyres as often used tyres already have holes/slashes etc.

Always found tyres difficult to mount on 5.1’s, but at least going tubeless means I can use hefty tyre levers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

The air is escaping at the tyre bead/rim. Aim to push on the tyre over the valve to partially seat the bead so that the air will inflate the tyre and force the bead to the remaining parts of the rim. I would personally try using an airline if you can’t inflate it with your pump. Also have you tried inflating the tyre with a tube overnight to stretch it?

cchris2lou

done some Continental tyres on some Mavic wheels using some bmx tubes .

I had same issue at the valve where the tyre was too high to seat in the rim properly and all the air was going out .
    I sanded a bit of the plastic on the tube where the valve is and pushed it down really hard in the rim .
    It worked fine after that with a track pump .
    but I used plenty of fairy liquid and inflated the tyre with the wheel off the ground .
    then took apart the valve and added sealant with a serynge .

naokfreek
    Free Member

It’s all a learning curve….at one point in my first attempt…i was ready to kill anyone….but then it got better….once it’s been done and you can iron out any shite(ban) …then it all rolls along just fine.

Don’t give up.

It does work.

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips – will give it another go when the new tyres arrive – Continental Vertical and try again. Trying to get tyres on this rim is a right PITA thats probably why I dont change tyres tht much TBH.

Will try and sand down the area around the valve as it doesnt push down too much into the rim

Thanks
    Kwack

br
    Free Member

If they are wire-rimmed Verticals I don’t think they’ll be much better – IME you need folding tyres for the bead ‘flexibility’.

A compressor helps 😳

m_t_b
    Free Member

I bought the DT Swiss rim kit for mine and it worked ace. I know its extra $ but could save allot of faffing.

kwack
    Free Member

damn they were wire beaded – will see if I can change the order

Simon

m_t_b – Member
    I bought the DT Swiss rim kit for mine and it worked ace. I know its extra $ but could save allot of faffing.

2nd that. Dt Swiss rimstrips on EX500 rims with Eskar 2bliss tyres have been excellent for me this year.
    Tyres were very hard to get onto the wheels initially but thankfully I’ve not had a puncture since, fitting a tube out on a ride would be a pain.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Going to give Tubeless a try on DT Swiss 5.1d’ is closed to new replies.