Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Going to bivvy, will I freeze?
  • stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Bigface depends what you mean by best … IMO at the moment if you try and balance out packed size, weight and comfort then I'd say a Thermorest Neo Air would take some beating but you'll have to pay for it.

Alpkit are launching a new range of mats shortly but I don't know what they'll be but it could be worth hanging on. My main mat for the last few years has been a wee Airic and it's been great. I'm now on my second after leaving the first one in a bothy last year. 😕

Stuart

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

it depends
    traditional closed cell foam are light, cheap and robust, the denser the foam the warmer. downside is they are not that comfortable and don't pack down small.

Modern air mats are comfortable and pack smaller, but heavy, more expensive and you need a punture kit.

Serious Outdoors types use a short mat, it's only really your upper body that needs the comfort and insulation. You can usually fashion some comfort/insulation for your legs/feet. If you want the air mat and you just intend to use it in the spring/summer, then get one of the lightest weight ones they usually have in their ranges.

odannyboy
    Free Member

im sure i will sound like a right nancy asking this but as ive never bivvyied do you have a pillow of any sort. id get a right stiff neck if not..

Nezbo
    Free Member

I use an AlpKit Wee Airic but it looks like they have stoped doing them :(, I will be intrested to seeing what the new ones are like (thats if the have a wee version) Mine is still going strong though.

I use a bag (either a drybag/sleeping bag-bag etc… with what ever i have that is soft in it as a pillow.

plumber
    Free Member

I have a blow up pillow from decathlon – 5 quid, it is essential for me to ge a good sleep and weighs next to nothing

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye, I'm like Nezbo and just stuff a dry bag etc with whatever's handy … works ok as a pillow.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For a pillow, I use a rucksack or anything else I can fashion (as my pic above). For campsites, I bought a sleeping bag pillow off ebay, it's small and sort of moon shaped and fits inside the hood of a mummy shaped sleeping bag. I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons of luxuries like a pillow.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On the mats I prere a foam mat as its the lightest.

Pillow – whatever clothes I am not wearing.

Had a ruddy cold night on Friday night – camped at 1500 ft near fort william. Dunno how cold it was but well below freezing overnight. Frosty tent int he morning and a cold night "sleeping"

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Just as an aside … has anyone tried a backless sleeping bag/quilt?

I like the idea and fully understand the logic behind it but I'm still left with certain doubts.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I think I just need to go local and pop my cherry 😉

backhander
    Free Member
    Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Backhander: They look good, think I may get one of those ordered

TheBrick
    Free Member

@franksinatra Make sure you are well fed this will make a big difference to how cold you feel. Pop to lidl they have cheap smoked sausages, yummy and full of fat, just what you need if cold and tired.

@Bigface0_0 I've done a few long camping trips off road but only this one-night bivi idea once so leading expert on this. I strapped a stuff sack to my handled bars, light weight bulky stuff tools in seat pack, water bottle, in cage for extra water, jacket strapped to bike and food + homemade meths stove + odds and ends in small backpack. I personally would not want everything in a backpack, spread the load over yourself and the bike. I was still able to bunny hop easily and do some small drops.

huggis
    Free Member

silk sleeping bag liner – weighs nowt and will add approx 1 season to the rating of the bag. oh and a hip flask ………….

Jellybaby
    Free Member

You boys have it easy staying warm and dry is all you have to think about! What about us girls and ladies week how are we suppossed to cope in the great outdoors? All them mood swings, stomach pains, aching back/legs not to mention having to carry all the extra kit you know hot water bottle, box of tissues, extra chocolate, red wine all those toiletries…and of course a big stick to wack the nearest bloke who says the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time…its just not so simple for us 🙄

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Jellybaby, Simple, get a tent, take the car and stay on a camp site…!!! 😆

aviemoron
    Free Member

I wouldn't bivvy anywhere near the Cairngorms, there's fresh snow around here!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I want to see some bivi pics, C'mon what ya got?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

probably not what you want, but I haven't got any bike bivi pics

view from bedroom window

Sui
    Free Member

What I use. Came with a little bag and rolls up very small. 3/4 length though.

Posted 1 day ago # Report-Post
    Bigface0_0 – Member
    Backhander: They look good, think I may get one of those ordered

the Army issue ones are not great, the seals have a habit of going – get a thermarest they are the dogs – mines seen through a long sandy spell!!!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I've just been looking at the alpkit mats are they look pretty big, do you really need a mat for 1 night?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Bubblewrap will work for a night as long as it isn't too cold … honest.

Toasty

I've been keen to go on a few adventures this year with a bivvy and a few bits in a rucksack. The Malverns are about 40 mile down the road and seemed like a good target. How legal is it to just go exploring up a big hill and chuck down a bivvy in a quiet spot?

Careful planning doesn't appeal.

flatfish
    Free Member

As long as nobody see's you it's legal just like speeding, if the speed cameras or the police don't get you, it's all ok. 😯

Toasty

I don't think I'll trigger the speed cams in a bivvy, all should be fine.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

It's funny how reading a thread can make you go from not even considering something to NEEDING to it!! 😆

dano
    Free Member

I always used to take a balaclava or really nice beanie, makes all the difference….

brack
    Free Member

A well video loaded iPhone can keep you warm all night!

Too hot at times!

;@)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

It's funny how reading a thread can make you go from not even considering something to NEEDING to it!!

Thats what Ive done, got all the stuff now, just need to get a nice weekend to pop my cherry!!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Did anyone get out in there bag this weekend?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Going to bivvy, will I freeze?’ is closed to new replies.