Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Going to a ‘superbuild’ bike ? Would most mortals notice ?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I did this the last time I got a full suspension bike – I went from a Commencal Meta AM with XT 1×11, Pikes and some entry level Mavic wheels to a carbon Transition Patrol with full XX1, carbon cranks, Chromag bits and DT Swiss wheels. I did buy it almost entirely secondhand, so it cost about £1800.

It is definitely better than the Commencal. It’s more capable in all areas but pinpointing why is a little difficult – it’s lighter, because the bits are fancy, which means it feels better climbing but also fatigues me less over the course of a ride. The geometry from a lot of the boutique brands tends to be more progressive than the bigger companies, and this was definitely the case with the Transition. That makes descending really enjoyable, it’s very capable.

One big advantage of it in terms of cost is that I’ve not been tempted to change it – normally after a few years on a bike I’m tempted to swap it, but this is still such a nice bike, and still pretty current in terms of standards and geometry, I’m happy to keep it. And the fancier bits are lasting well. The XX1 cassette, which I got second hand (it was about 2 years old) has only just died after 2.5 years.

If you can afford it and want to do it then do so. But if you just fancy a new bike and can’t justify spending mad money on one, just see what’s out there that takes your fancy for normal money. It will be almost as good, and certainly not several thousand pounds worse. It’s hard to find a bad bike these days, and ultimately, when I’m going down a hill, I don’t think about the fancy shifters or cranks and just get on and ride the thing.

weeksy

Should i go down the road, i’m far from hung up on the boutique brands, I was looking for example on the Specialized concept store and love this.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/12046/2018-stumpjumper-expert-650b/

But i’m pretty sure it’s not giving me much over my current T130.

But then if i were looking today, i’d struggle not to see something like this Whyte
    https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mtb-bikes/whyte-s-150-c-works-29er-2018-bike

or this one

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mtb-bikes/whyte-t-130-c-works-27-5-inch-2018-bike

But i’m thinking at the moment “Hmmm really… is there much point in it….” and the answer is, i don’t really know.
    I could offset part of the plan assuming my lad is growing at the rate he currently is by throwing him my T130, which would save me a chunk of change instead of buying him a new bike…. But now i’ve gone to a large, he may need to grow more before that became viable. It would also depend on whether he’s still as into the riding as he is currently. So many thoughts, so many ideas. LOL

matt_outandabout

+1 on the buy a new bike, but spend the ‘superbike’ change on a holiday…

You’re definitely on diminishing returns.
    Yes, get good stuff ( I can tell the difference between my son’s Pike and my Yari, his XT brakes my Desire brakes).
    I’ve also tried (but never owned) properly posh bikes, and frankly they weren’t really that much faster, more comfortable or blingier when covered in mud…

Kryton57

Test loads and buy the bike you love to ride the most.

kynasf
    Free Member

I was in a similar position, 46yrs old and had a £3k Santa Cruz Tallboy for four years and had an itch for something fancier. Tested a few bikes (Santa Cruz highball and Blur, Orange stage 4, Yeti SB100). Went for the Yeti in the end as it felt more trail vs the XC feel of the Santa Cruz’s and I loved the bottomless feel of the switch infinity. Ended up spending more than anticipated, but put it into good forks/wheels. It is definitely more capable than the Tallboy, but definitely not a huge leap.

couchy
    Free Member

You were def at 100% at BPW when I was following you on the ebike 🙂

You like the bike you have so keep it, save the money for an ebike in a few years when you’re old like me 🙂

weeksy

You were def at 100% at BPW when I was following you on the ebike

Yes but that was 1 run… I was at 100% at Swinley the other day too (setting 91 Strava personal trophies lol) but these times are very few and far between as i can’t just abandon the boy. I still think it will be a while before i’m at 100% to stay ahead of him 🙂

LOL i’ll not be allowed an ebike until after 60. If Crust can still do the big boys rides without Ebikes, then until i reach his age, i’m not having one 🙂

Tracey

I find if I think about it too much I can talk myself out of anything. Been contemplating a 2019 Stumpjumper for a while for us all to use, shall we shan’t we on a weekly basis. Only needed the frame, as we had all the other bits, but a full bike could be had for the same price as a frame and decided not to get one.
    Saw a frame on Pinkbike which was at a very good price for the frame which tipped the balance so a 500 mile round trip to South Wales to look and see was a no brainer and we came back with it.
    Started the build at the weekend and will be out in the Peak with it this weekend.

Gotama
    Free Member

Doubt you’d notice fancy pants components past a certain spec level and there’s a good chance you won’t get on with a set of 36s as you’ll find them too stiff for your riding level (making a huge assumption based on your posting history, apologies if off the mark). Posh frames are however nicer to look at and in the case of the few Santa Cruzs i’ve had they’re certainly very well finished compared to cheaper options; paint quality, cable routing etc. Will they perform better as a bike, probably not as there are so many mass market well rounded suspension designs these days. So basically you’re just paying for the joy of getting something out the shed that looks really nice. A Nicolai G13 was still, in my eyes, the nicest bike i’ve ever owned. Every time i got it out it was hard not to admire the perfect welds on the raw alu frame. Just a shame I couldn’t get on with it for where i ride, tempted to try one again in the size down this time.

Given you’re Swinley way, Pedal & Spoke is in Peaslake and he’s got a demo of pretty much every bike in the Santa Cruz range. Have a go and see if you’re smitten.

weeksy

making a huge assumption based on your posting history, apologies if off the mark

I make no qualms about my riding, i have no issues with who and where i am in the big picture. I’m happy at Swinley, happy at anything blue and some reds at BPW, but start going past that and i’m ending up lying on the floor looking at the sky 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Order a bike off SICK!

Then..

Send It.

(back)

🤣🧟‍♂️

moonsaballoon

I was going through a similar thought process this year . I owned a bird aeris and a Solaris which I was pretty happy with all round but I’m turning 40 next year and I have wanted a Santa Cruz since I was about 16  but I also really want to go abroad with my bike and I knew I couldn’t stretch to both  . Then everything got pinched out the garage and I was left an insurance payoff which would of got me the Santa Cruz but I ended up buying a flare max and pocketing some cash for a trip hopefully to spain next year .

The other part of it was I’m a bit of a sucker for British brands these days , infact if Iwent down the super bike route now I’d be thinking of a fancy spec on a Cotic or bird or even something a bit more custom from the likes of starling , Curtis or Stanton

mrmoofo

Other than Kudos , what is you T130 not giving you ?
    You don’t do bike drop off stuff, like the pure CC stuff more …
    Just by FS carbon scott scale to go with it …

weeksy

Other than Kudos , what is you T130 not giving you ?

Kudos from who ? I couldn’t care less about peoples opinions 🙂

It gives me everything, but what i don’t know is, if something ‘better’ would give me more or not.

rs
    Free Member

most mortals don’t even notice my ebike is an ebike.

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Seems like you’re only musing over a flash new bike because of the approaching big 5-0 and there isn’t actually anything that you want or that’s going to make you any happier! Nothing wrong with that, but surely better to save the cash for a rainy day!

Or how about a couple weeks in Whistler!

djflexure

I was in a similar position to you, similar sort of riding, age etc. Really fancied a Tallboy. Got the frame, built it up to a decent spec (but without going mad) and love it. Was going to get rid of all my other mtb bikes – but in the end I also built a light, rigid single speed for blasting around the local trails when I fancy a change. So if you are going to change for the sake of it I would make it the bike you ride the most. Having several bikes that do are or less the same thing seems pointless; bikes seem more versatile than ever. Will it make a massive difference – mostly to your wallet.

russyh
    Free Member

Give you more, possibly not. But I get a massive grin when I work on my bike or walk Into the garage and see it! Not to mention the feeling I get when I ride it. I ride a Ibis Mojo HD4, Fox Factory XO1 eagle Xm1501 wheels. Whilst not blisteringly faster than my old trek remedy, I do find it faster and more pleasurable to ride. In fact better in every sense. Not sure it’s ££££ better, but the money I spent on the mojo was definitely worth it From My perspective. It’s the best bike I have ever ridden or owned. Agree with demoing bikes. My last high end bike was a SantaCruz Hightower. Again top end spec and I bloody hated that bike! Just horrible. I blew a fortune on it and the new owner loves it. So each to everyone’s own.

vmgscot

Currently riding a Yeti (SB6), previous was another Yeti and prior to that was Whyte.
    Keep your current bike and spend the 50th dosh on trips to fantastic riding destinations.
    That’s what I have been doing since turning 50 (6 years ago) 🙂

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

There’s lots of parts to your question, most come down to how competent a rider you are.

Would you be a better rider on a Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis compared to your T130? Possibly, maybe. Depends which model you go for. Your T130 is a great all rounder but will do things better / worse than many others. On the assumption that you still want an all round capable bike, I’d suggest looking at the Yeti SB130, Ibis Ripley (new one), Ripmo and the Santa Cruz Bronson (which will ride most similar to your T130 of those 4 bikes).

Would you notice a difference with different components? Possibly, maybe. A badly setup Fox 36 Factory GRIP 2 will ride worse than an unfettled Rockshox Pike. Same with a CCDB shock compared to a Fox DPX2. Generally speaking, on suspension, your money goes on more knobs and adjustments so if you don’t know whether you prefer more or less HSC and LSR then you may be better off saving the money and paying for a shop to get your setup diallied (or hire a shockwiz).

Wheels and tyres are in my opinion where the money makes a big difference. Something strong, wide, light-ish and with a set of Maxxis Wide Trail tyres. Yes I’d go carbon and I’d be giving my cash to Santa Cruz for a set of their Reserve wheels.

If you’re happy on a 32t chainring and an 11-36 cassette, you’ll be even happier on an Eagle 32t and 10-50 cassette. More range, less fatigue, more enjoyable riding. Don’t fight that trend.

Weight depends; too light and it won’t take your alps trip, too heavy and its a pointless slog. I’d go for a sorted frame in terms of geometry, the best wheels you can afford, a well setup suspension platform (Fox 36s are brilliant but they are stiff compared to Lyrics and Pikes and you need to be honest whether your riding needs that).

The bottom line is when it comes to bike brands is there are very few bad bikes these days (and Whyte are up there with the best). If you can get a demo on something top-end, you’ll get the best idea whether spending that cash is worth it to you.

weeksy

I already own a shockwiz, so within its ability and knowledge my bikes are setup at least half ok

thepurist

I demoed a whole load of bikes over the first few months of this year – some chi chi bling (SC, Yeti etc) , some regular rides (Giant, Whyte etc). The thing that made up my mind was one bike that really stood out as being the one that I wanted to go out on again as soon as I got home, that I was actually laughing while riding. Once I had that feeling it didn’t matter what it said on the down tube or the fork, I was sold.

So go ride a whole range with an open mind and see if there’s anything that you like that much more than your whyte.

solarider
    Free Member

I have played with lots of high end bikes over the years and have come back to a titanium hardtail and road bike. Anything else dates so fast and therefore I couldn’t justify spending big on a boutique full susser nowadays.
    I am waiting for XX1 AXS to become available as individual components. Until then I am running GX Eagle and as somebody said above it really is hard to justify more.
    Above a certain price point the thrill of ownership plays a larger part than a tangible difference in ride quality. A mid range Specialized or Trek will probably ride just as nicely and be backed with better support, but there is something intangible about a boutique parts list that does somehow enhance the pride of ownership.
    All that said, as a special birthday treat, why not?!!!!

tails
    Free Member

I like that Tracy, my current dream bike but those frames are too expensive so I’m waiting for a second hand. Wish they did the normal stumpy in the raw alu or carbon.

Back to the OP

I’d be looking at something carbon from spesh, SC, transition or trek for some reason Whytes don’t look very fancy I think it’s the awful graphics. Although mine rides well!

Fox 34/36 up front and back. What’s so fancy about the CCDB?

Shimano XTR for me, I’d not bother with carbon cranks. Remember you’ll only have to replace consumables.

Reserve rims on Hope hubs, your choice of rubber.

Revive dropper and either Hope or burgtec finishing kit.

Then I’d get one of those fancy decal companies to colour coordinate the various stickers and ride!

Maybe some over to buy some decent shorts etc.

As above you wanna make sure you’re happy before spending big on the frame.

tomhoward

It’s also worth bearing in mind that for Santa Cruz/Yeti frame money, you can get some properly custom stuff that no one else will have (as vain as it is, when spending that much, it’s a consideration), even in carbon (around £3.k gets you a custom geo Carbon Wasp FS) or you could go to a small custom builder for something in the metal of you choice.

No way would I buy the most expensive version of something you can get in a chain shop. I wouldn’t buy another Santa Cruz either.

dirkpitt74

My work mate has just built up an SB130 – used the XT drive train off his previous bike bought new forks wheels & cockpit.
    Stunning bike to look at and he seems to have gone up a couple of gears on his performance – I now struggle to keep up with him.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m normally from the camp of ‘if you can afford it (or afford the credit) then go for it’ camp and the overbiked nonsense doesn’t hold much sway with me. We live in modern time of excess…we’re over – everythinged so bloody what. But, i’ve Test ridden a few super bikes now and always feel underwhelmed. There are some noticeable improvement here and there, but nowhere near enough to justify the price tag. They’re not light enough and don’t perform better enough compared to a non-superbike to get anywhere near being justifiable, they’re just a rip off. Far better spending your money on a wheel upgrade and suspension upgrade.

Having said all that, i’m very tempted by the Forbidden Druid! Mouth-wateringly gorgeous looking (to my eye) and a bit different – i’m Always a fan of things a bit different and quirky. Looking forward to giving one a try.

maxtorque

IMO, no matter how “super” a superbike is, it’s just a bike, and if you try to make one bike do everything, it ends up as so compromised as to be effectively not actually very super at anything!

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford to buy/build just about any push bike i want, and i have 3 MTBs, a 180mm all the tricks enduro bike, a 150mm “messing around in the woods, but light enough to pedal on long days all-mountain bike, and a 120mm hardtail for when i want smooth and fast / light.

All are carbon frames, all run top line components (all XTR/XX1, all on the best forks you can get) and all are very different to each other, and not one of them does everything well enough to make me want to sell any of them……..

Given that s/h bikes are really not worth that much money these days, i’d keep your current bike, with perhaps a few minor up specs to get a bit of mass out of it, and consider either spending the rest on a nice biking holiday to make the most of it, or perhaps buying a completely different type of bike for a change?

weeksy

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

or perhaps buying a completely different type of bike for a change?

Like ?

I think after reading all the thread, i’m still likely to get a new bike for the 50th, but it’s more likely to be a basis on a theme, which is a 130mm sale bike, so a T130 or whatever for 30% off on last years model (whatever that is). It may be a Specialized, it may be a Trek, but I’m thinking that an ex-demo/sale etc is going to give me best bang for my buck.

mrmoofo

TBH, rather than get caught up in the boutique brand / super mtb thing of yeti/ SC/Ibis, hows about building the bike that you want, to do what you want …
    TBH it doesn’t mean stating with a super sexy US core brand. How about talking to BTR …
    Or another customer frame builder? It does mean you have to know what you want …

DickBarton

Only real issue with any bike is the running costs…if you can afford the bike then great, but can you afford the running costs? The more expensive the bike, the more it’ll cost when bits wear out, unless you ‘downgrade’ but if doing that, why spend the money on the fancier stuff to start with?
    As long as initial costs and running costs are covered then absolutely knock yourself out and enjoy the new machine.

weeksy

Only real issue with any bike is the running costs…if you can afford the bike then great, but can you afford the running costs? The more expensive the bike, the more it’ll cost when bits wear out, unless you ‘downgrade’ but if doing that, why spend the money on the fancier stuff to start with?

That’s deffo a point to consider, looking at the higher build bikes yesterday then looking at CRC on prices and seeing £60+ for a chain, £100+ for a cassette, i’m really not feeling that at all. Currently on generic 10 speed stuff and can get the bits for 1/3 of that cost when i need to. Sure i get that i can’t keep things cheap and have things super….

koldun
    Free Member

Given your posts on this thread @weeksy, i would be tempted to get a top spec T130. It will be what you are used to/like but just a bit better.
    I really noticed a big difference going from RS to Fox suspension (though do note @Gotama’s point above) and there is a slight difference between carbon/alu but i think its a very small difference and probably as much to do with the build as the material. I’m a bit torn on expensive drive trains, the pricey ones are nice but it costs a fortune if you clip your derailleur on something!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That’s deffo a point to consider, looking at the higher build bikes yesterday then looking at CRC on prices and seeing £60+ for a chain, £100+ for a cassette, i’m really not feeling that at all. Currently on generic 10 speed stuff and can get the bits for 1/3 of that cost when i need to. Sure i get that i can’t keep things cheap and have things super….

Is it though? People on here do tend to get their knickers in a right old twist over high end SRAM cassette costs, by just looking at the RRP & getting all a bit frothy.

But my experience (and that of others) is they last multiple times that of pretty much anything else, being basically all steel. My old XX1 cassette had done 5000+ km and would still take a new chain.

I’m kind of in the buy/ride what I want category, one of my bikes is pretty high on the niche scale, the other I guess is in the boutique category through the shop I race for, even at team discounts, an X01 Eagle cassette stings a bit up front, but it will literally last for years. I don’t think i’ve ever bought anything other than a £20 12spd SRAM chain though – mostly because the solid pins last longer 🙂

olaa
    Free Member

Like everybody else here is saying: you have got to demo a few bikes!
    I have tried a few superbikes that i just didn’t gel with, and ridden others that i loved. Just different feel to the bikes.
    That said, when you have found a bike that you generally like the feel of: get top-notch suspension that works for you and spend money on someone that can tune it just right for you. Add a good set of wheels and controls that you like and you should be good!
    For personal opinions on bikes that i like: I have had most of SC models over the last 8 years, and i have really liked most of them. The stand-out for me has been the 5010 though, not the fastest but so much fun! Certainly if you ride trail centres, that would be a fun and nimble bike.
    That said, i have switched to a Geometron and for my riding i love it. It is set up with firm and fast suspension though making it very little like a gravity focused couch 🙂 Try one at PBW and see how you like it. Great support from Chris on set-up and tuning as well, that is worth a ton as well.

ferrals
    Free Member

off the wall sugestion a bit but… every so often you muse abut a fast xc race bike. If I was going to buy something for a big birthday I’d want it too last beyond current fashion. How about getting a (custom or not) Ti 29er hardtail, a really nice light wheelset and as top end components as you fancy. You’ll have a fast race bike, it will be different to what you have and you’ll (probably) still be riding the frame in some guise in a decade.

I’d be temptd by di2, as IMO the one thing that really spoils a bike is when the shifting isnt perfect, and while I’ve not tried it, my understanding is di2 is fit and forget (except the battery!) shifting perfection.

tomhoward

But my experience (and that of others) is they last multiple times that of pretty much anything else, being basically all steel. My old XX1 cassette had done 5000+ km and would still take a new chain.

100% my experience

copa
    Free Member

This should have been posted on the general forum, it has nothing to do with bikes.

Garry_Lager

It’s hard to get that wow feeling from the sort of jack all of all trades mountain bikes you’re thinking of IMHO. I mean there’s beautiful bikes to be found anywhere, but you’re talking about something that’s a lovely descender, climbs all right and it’s reasonably light. It’s a sort of functional package. The real jawdroppers that are exciting to just climb onto tend to be race bikes that are way more polarised – a crusher-of-souls XC missile, say, or a long travel enduro beast.

joebristol

If you decided not to go fully mental on boutique you could look at one of the brands that’s still not hugely common but doesn’t go crazy on frame prices – Bird (I’m biased as I have one – but also have a Vitus and a Cannondale).

https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-120-lt/?wccp_component_selection%5B1540817991%5D=225449&wccp_component_selection%5B1542283335%5D=233101&wccp_component_selection%5B1542289248%5D=234438&wccp_component_selection%5B1472646824%5D=4262&wccp_component_selection%5B1470824333%5D=224714&wccp_component_selection%5B1542381986%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1470249895%5D=228064&wccp_component_selection%5B1470348967%5D=228303&wccp_component_selection%5B1541514648%5D=218230&wccp_component_selection%5B1542382563%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1470347844%5D=220272&wccp_component_selection%5B1470257729%5D=2875&wccp_component_selection%5B1541532181%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1542202456%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1470505062%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1470265806%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1541527287%5D=234215&wccp_component_selection%5B1542383857%5D&wccp_component_selection%5B1470265807%5D=220228&wccp_component_selection%5B1470265808%5D=220238&wccp_component_selection%5B1470347847%5D=3029&wccp_component_selection%5B1470347848%5D=221494&wccp_component_selection%5B1542024798%5D=232181&wccp_component_selection%5B1542024799%5D=234989&wccp_component_selection%5B1542024877%5D=229998&wccp_component_selection%5B1542117017%5D=219702&wccp_component_quantity%5B1540817991%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542283335%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542289248%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1472646824%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470824333%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542381986%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470249895%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470348967%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1541514648%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542382563%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470347844%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470257729%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1541532181%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542202456%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470505062%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470265806%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1541527287%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542383857%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470265807%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470265808%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470347847%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1470347848%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542024798%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542024799%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542024877%5D=1&wccp_component_quantity%5B1542117017%5D=1&wccp_variation_id%5B1470348967%5D=229669&wccp_attribute_colour%5B1470348967%5D=black&component_1541514648_bundle_quantity_349=1&component_1541514648_bundle_quantity_350=1&component_1541514648_bundle_quantity_793=1&component_1541514648_bundle_quantity_352=1&component_1541514648_bundle_quantity_541=1&component_1541514648_bundle_quantity_831=1&component_1470257729_bundle_quantity_209=1&component_1470257729_bundle_quantity_210=1&component_1542117017_bundle_selected_optional_364=yes&component_1542117017_bundle_quantity_364=1&quantity=1&update-composite=d8772fbb480ab73283ee7b80778d7da6#configuration

If this link works it could be a good option – X01 drivetrain, Pikes, Super deluxe shock, xm1501 Dt wheels which are decently lightweight, Maxxis tyres, Raceface bits, 150mm dropper, Guide ultimate brakes etc. Would be fun and poppy but is also very modern with the geometry (without being as long and slack as the Aeris 145) and great backup support with a lifetime transferable frame warranty. £4K but doesn’t really compromise on any kit at all. Just no carbon frame option.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Going to a ‘superbuild’ bike ? Would most mortals notice ?’ is closed to new replies.