Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Going to a concert on your own?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Oddball behaviour or perfectly fine?

mrchrispy

I get strange looks at all the 1D concerts I go to.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The concert in question is a sit down, slightly more cultured affair! :mrgreen:

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve been to a concert on my own occasionally- if it’s something I really want to see and no one else is keen or available, I’d go on my own. I’ve also spent some standing concerts on my own when I wanted to be near the front but my mates wanted to stand at the back.

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve been to loads of concerts on my own, cinema on my own, never thought anything of it until someone said it was a bit weird. I still think it’s fairly normal.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Not concerts, but clubs I go to a lot on my own. Nowt wrong with it if you ask me. I’m a massive dance music fan, so if a certain DJ’s playing at a club near me I’m gonna go whether friends want to or not. Also, an added bonus is that I tend to not go so mental on my own, with regards to the booze/party potions.

jekkyl

Yup several times, if you like the music why not. It’s better in a way because you can bod about the venue until you get to the place which is the best for hearing the music ie slap bang in the middle centre of the stage.

funkhouser
    Free Member

I work away during the week, I do loads of things on my own, cinema/ restaurants/theatre/ comedy gigss/ football matches. Would happily do a concert on my tod if something I fancied was on. Took a while to get used to like, but now it doesn’t sorry me one bit.

CountZero

Why would it be odd? If it’s something or somebody you want to see, then go see it/them, why do you need to have somebody else to go with?
    I usually go with a mate, because we have very similar tastes, but I’ve been to many gigs on my own in the past, and I’ll go to more in the future; in fact, Michael Nesmith is playing Bath later this year, and I’ll probably go on my own, the same with Judie Tzuke. I went up to London last year on my own to see David Byrne and St Vincent, stopped overnight, and had a fantastic weekend, went up to Highgate and had a wander round the Cemetary, and went up the Shard the next day, it was brilliant on my own, not having to worry about someone else enjoying it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw I’ve no qualms about it I’ve done it before and I’ve been wandering abroad myself before, just curoious what the consensus was. at a lose end today, all my mates are away to ayr races, I really didn’t fancy it, as I don’t gamble so looking for something to do, plus I couldn’t face another weekend on the bevvy!

Anousha shanker(shanker plays shanker) on at the royal concert hall tonight, though why not, sitar music is quality.

So off i go, If I asked my mates I’d probably get funny looks anyhow! :mrgreen:

kcal

cultured stuff – like SCO or similar? Used to go to (R)SNO, SCO, New Town Concerts series in Edinburgh, pretty well always on my own, same with Festival.. no-one batted eyelid.

edit – read what concert is, in any case can’t see a problem in vast majority of cases, sounds fine.

Think she’s pretty good in any case – jealous!

Just go.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ayr races suck. Just go along seosamh77, its not really the kind of gig where you’ll look lonely or desperate. If I’d have been free I’d have chummed you, like kcal, she’s lovely and talented and jealous much? 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye agree, went to the races once, an expensive piss up basically, once’ll do.

Aye it’s her and the RSNO too, so expecting it to be pretty full on sonically! 🙂

starts at half 7.

ps I’d always every intention of going bought the ticket early this afternoon, then posted this. 🙂

zippykona

I hate it, the whole place stares at you and knows that you have no friends.

seosamh77
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

haha 😀

iolo
    Free Member

Tell your facebook friends you’re going. Maybe you will get another billy no mates to come with you.

DezB
    Free Member

😆

I went to a Steve Mason gig in that there London on my own, was on a training course up there. Ended up chatting to the bouncer who liked my tshirt 🙂
    Have no problem with being billy-no-mates, personally.

CountZero

Never been my experience, often plenty of other people on their own as well, and I doubt several hundred other people would be paying that much attention.
    Probably different in a club, when it’s obvious you’re on the pull, however.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s no surprise that lots of STWers go to concerts on their own.

I’ve even done it myself. (But I did make some friends while I was there.)

tenfoot

Take a note book and pen, and pretend to be a journo 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Hardly ever been to a concert with anyone else – mates/partners either not available or not into the band.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Gig alone is fine, club on your own is weird.

Northwind

Gig is fine, though it’s weird when it’s seated. Went to see Mogwai last month, I swear 3/4s of the audience were there solo.

seosamh77
    Free Member

At the break just now just been the rsno so far with some guy conducting sure he’s probly famous. 😀 Pretty decent, not exactly my type of music mind but I can appreciate it.. Though the guy behind me breathes like a maniac I’m shifting seats when I go back in!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Used to do it all the time in the single days. Visit Bob Marleys Magic Cloud then see Interpol or Bunnymen.

Not so much any more though.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Love going to special gigs solo. I just want to immerse myself and not worry about anyone else.

I have a long weekend of bliss coming up at end of April/beginning of May. Solo trip to London to do what the hell I like, visiting museums, shops, cafés, bars, parks etc and topped off with Billy Bragg’s May Day gig in Hammersmith. 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

My best mate, a bloke, once went to a Britney Spears gig…… alone! Recently went to Girls Aloud gig alone as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well that turned out cracking, after the break, the sitar and the percussion kicked in and everything just got better and more upbeat. Reckon it felt a little short mind you, but they played for about 90mins outside of tuning and the break(started half 7, finished quarter to 10 shanker came on at half 8). But that’s probably just because I was enjoying it much. Though I would like to hear her going hammer and tongs with the percussion for a couple of hours. But overall, the sitar percusion and the rest of the orchestra made an amzing sound.

Classical audiences are weird though, they don’t budge or move their heads or nothing. I don’t think they understand a beat really! :mrgreen: (which is proabably why the beats are held back so much.)

I reckon the bawbag that said something to her at the end, I think he was requesting she play something when she went to do a solo, robbed us of an encore.

seosamh77
    Free Member

GolfChick – Member
    My best mate, a bloke, once went to a Britney Spears gig…… alone! Recently went to Girls Aloud gig alone as well.

He’s for watching!

hora
    Free Member

I went to see AFI on my own. Not the same where you gibber and grin. I imagine leaving a brothel is the same as leaving a gig solo.

jools182
    Free Member

I have been to a few gigs alone – Phoenix, Kristen Hersh and Gogol Bordello

The Phoenix and Kristen Hersh were fine, but I was having problems with anxiety at the time of Gogol Bordello
    Can’t say I enjoyed being stared at whilst trying to look inconspicuous 😀

CountZero

I imagine leaving a brothel is the same as leaving a gig solo.

😯

CountZero

This subject came up a short while ago, and to reiterate, if I’d worried about other people thinking it weird someone going to a gig on their own I’d have missed three Reading festivals, Ian Dury and The Blockheads, Yes three times, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy three times and one of Phil Lynott’s last ever gigs as Grand Slam, Yazoo, The Stranglers, The Clash, The Jam, Girlschool, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers/Nils Lofgren, Blondie/Television, Dire Straits/Talking Heads, Graham Parker and The Rumour, Souixsie and The Banshees, The original Human League, Supertramp just before they released Crime Of The Century, Peter Gabriel, Lindisfarne, Jethro Tull…
    Why on earth should some anonymous individual’s opinion get in the way of my, or anyone else’s, enjoyment of something that gives a great deal of pleasure?
    Other people’s opinion is irrelevant, it’s what matters to the person going that’s important; frankly what’s weird is that anybody should concern themselves with what other gig-goers are doing. It’s none of their damn business!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Going to a concert on your own?’ is closed to new replies.