Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Going on “holiday” 2 miles away, unacceptable?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

So. I am lucky enough to have access to a coastal family holiday home that is 2 miles from my permanent home.

The offers a large garden that over looks the sea, an absolutely beautiful location and outlook.

It would be very easy to travel there and stay for a few days while maintaining isolation and separation.

So do you think it would be unacceptable to stay 2 miles from my permanent home for a few days?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t it?

convert

The questions I would be asking myself are – if ill would you be using the same facilities as now? And, will other people be using it too before or after you and is there deep cleaning in place to get around the contamination possibility between family members if that is the case?

If the answers to both of these are reasonable, whilst against the letter of the law I’d say it is ok. Others will grumble but only because of conscious or subconscious jealousy.

weeksy

Im seeing it as ok.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s a shared family property, however, the closest other family member is 60 miles away and the others much further. So none of them will be using it during the lockdown.

I am in a fairly remote location and it would actually put me 2 miles closer to the nearest medical facilities than I am now.

nickc

I think that’s fine. You’re v lucky, enjoy it

CheesybeanZ

Start packing it’s going to be a luvly day.

nuke

Passes the reasonable test to me and sounds an ace option…crack on

convert

It’s a shared family property, however, the closest other family member is 60 miles away and the others much further. So none of them will be using it during the lockdown.

I am in a fairly remote location and it would actually put me 2 miles closer to the nearest medical facilities than I am now.

In which case get yourself there whilst the weather is good and enjoy it you lucky sod!

Woody
    Free Member

Can’t believe you even asked the question as it’s close enough to walk to as part of your daily exercise!

And yes I am jealous as a friend is doing the exact same thing at Bamburgh.

gobuchul
    Free Member

And yes I am jealous as a friend us doing the exact same thing at Bamburgh.

Well this one is a little further South at Beadnell.

avdave2

I’d say it’s acceptable as long as you don’t post any pictures when you get there to show us and absolutely under no circumstances whatsoever enjoy a single solitary moment of it.

Woody
    Free Member

Even more attractive without, hopefully, the hoardes of daytrippers, caravanners etc. 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

This was a deserted Beadnell Bay this afternoon.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As long as you’re not the CMO for Scotland, it would appear to be fine.

ElShalimo

@gobuchul – you’re a lucky so and so!! To be fair that could be a normal Monday morning up there if you time it right
    We were really looking forward to Easter in Seahouses but alas, we’ll spend it at home instead.

☹️

brads
    Free Member

Calderwood was crucified by the press and hung out to dry by the government for doing just this very thing, but you should be ok.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Calderwood was crucified by the press and hung out to dry by the government for doing just this very thing, but you should be ok.

She traveled 60 miles, into another region. I have traveled 2 miles, into a village with a lower population and it’s easier to isolate and keep social distance.

How is that the same?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you were so sure about it, why ask on here in the first place then? If you ask a question, and someone gives you the answer you don’t want to hear, you can’t really spit the dummy tbh.

footflaps

How is that the same?

It’s not, he’s just being a dick.

ElShalimo

@brads – they live within walking distance. I don’t think @gobuchul is Boris, Whitty or Valance

It’s not the same thing really. You’re not really comparing apples and apples, more apples and desk lamps

Lionheart
    Free Member

Only if you cycle or walk to it and best not to post pics or we will be on to you!

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you were so sure about it, why ask on here in the first place then? If you ask a question, and someone gives you the answer you don’t want to hear, you can’t really spit the dummy tbh.

I wasn’t really unsure about it, from the POV of behaving irresponsible. I don’t believe it is.

However, I was more interested in what people perceptions are in the current crisis.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fair dos.

Brads not being a dick, it’s his opinion footflaps. Do you say that about everyone who’s opinion differs from yours?.

Non essential travel is against the spirit of the measures, is this essential, or is it just nice?.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

We’re in the same position except it’s 9 miles, two minutes walk onto the beach from the property.
    It’s certainly crossed my mind.
    Whilst walking in the park this morning two locals greeted each other by shaking hands, at least I’d be farther away from that pair of tools.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

The pitchforks should be out in force.

In response to the BBC News’s findings, Tourism Minister Nigel Huddleston said: “Our advice is clear.

“Essential travel does not include holidays, leisure travel and visits to second homes – and people must remain in their primary residence.

Burn him.

gobuchul
    Free Member

“Essential travel does not include holidays, leisure travel and visits to second homes – and people must remain in their primary residence.

Burn him.

I can’t think of anyone who has a “2nd home” 2 miles from their primary residence. I must be in a very unusual situation.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s such a rare situation to have a 2nd Home within walking distance of the main home, obviously it has not been considered in the guidelines, but I would say it is well within the spirit of the lockdown, and what it is trying to achieve.

zilog6128

+1, I guess people are responding differently to the stress of the lockdown 😂

If it were me I would just pack up & go. I wouldn’t even tell anybody. Actually, I’d probably move in there for the duration 😃

ElShalimo

we’re looking forward to mates rates for off-peak season rentals

😉

andy5390

At 2 miles from your main home, you’ll be using (or not) pretty much the same local facilities. Crack on I say

Bushy

I think the guidance is pretty unambiguous.

dogbone

I’m usually in the ‘burn him’ camp but I’d say crack on. But cut the grass and give the house a good airing / clean.

fossy

Essential maintenance for a home 2 miles away – that seems fine to me.

Our caravan is 70 miles away, so a big no-no. Bloody hope the site owners give the lawns a quick strim once in a while – £4k ground rent just paid.

funkmasterp

Sod that. I’d be moving in full time from the sounds of it

kelvin

Crack on and do what you see fit, but the specific advice for people with two homes, even if in the same town (eg couples not always living together) is for individuals to stay in one home, not move between them. The small village you are looking to go and stay in may be entirely virus free so far, and you could be the people who take it there.

stgeorge

Going on “holiday” 2 miles away, unacceptable?

Having been explicitly told not to, the answer to your question must be yes.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Depends – if you’re a member of royalty whose symptomatic for Coronavirus, then crack on. If you’re the CMO for Scotland, then you’ll get hounded out of your job…

stanfree
    Free Member

Why would you even need to ask .?

whytetrash

You’ll be fine buddy using same shops and medical infrastructure… enjoy! The issue with holiday homes/lodges/caravan parks is the massive influx of people who can overwhelm the local drs chemists hospitals etc… I live on the coast of North Wales 10k resident population with 45k hotel/caravan beds potentially available…. some van owners think its because they’re English they’re not welcome 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Going on “holiday” 2 miles away, unacceptable?’ is closed to new replies.