Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Going 2×9 from 3×9
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Currently got XT shifters, front mech, crank with SLX rear mech.

I’ve got a FSA 2×10 chainset – just wondering if I need to replace the 3x left XT shifter or can it be adjusted so that I limit the lower setting and only allow it to select the two rings of the 2×10?

Or, perhaps ditch the big ring on the 2×10, ditch the front shifter and mech and run 1×9 with some kind of device to stop the chain coming off?

ThePinkster

Should be pretty easy to set the adjustment screws on the mech to handle the space required by 2 rings and then tighten the cable to suit.

pixelmix
    Free Member

3 speed shifter will be fine – if you adjust the mech screws appropriately, you’ll find that the shifter won’t be able to get into the “big ring” position even if you try.

Edit – beaten to it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks chaps.

seadog101

TBH, why go 2×9?

IF you’ve got to have the front mech and shifter anyways why lose a chainring? If it were my choice I’d go for the 1×9 option. One less shifter, cable and mech to faff about with.

mrmo
    Free Member

TBH, why go 2×9?

why not? maybe the gear range on 1×9 won’t be sufficient….

clubber
    Free Member

Because I found that I just didn’t need the big chain ring at all. Why carry it around if I don’t need it?

I found that 2×9 with a normal front mech seemed to drop the chain quite a lot but that was solved with an SLX double specific one.

FWIW, I’ve since gone 1×10 as I found that I didn’t really need two chainrings once I’ve got a 11-36 cassette.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Use the middle ring and Big ring shifter positions on the shifter.

Lose the small ring click.

I was having problems getting this to shifter correctly and someone said to do this and its worked much better since.

I’ve gone for a 26-39 * 11-34 on my Full suss and 42-28 * 11-32 on my rigid 29er.

Really I just want a 11-32 on my full suss (to lose weight) but I need to get a little tougher before I do that as I’ve found my self using the 34 tooth cassette cog quite a bit.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Just gone 1×11 after trying it on a friends bike, and best move ever made. Didn’t think I would be fit enough to run x1 on front, but find it great. Had 1×10 to start, with 11-36 on the back, and to be honest, there was very little I could not manage, as opposed to the 42 on the back now.

ndthornton
    Free Member

why go 2×9

1, change to a 34T ring and that’s all the gears you need for mtb (1×9 = some pushing if you ride proper mountains)
    2, fit a bash guard = looks nicer -low profile – doesn’t take chunks out of your leg in a crash
    3, shorter chain = less flapping – better shifting – less weight
    2, medium cage mech = less flapping – better shifting – less weight
    3, this mod wont brake the bank

All my bikes run 2 chainrings

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I think aesthetically 1x 9/10 looks nice but I do do a fair bit of riding to work on roads/cycle paths and I think I’d miss the big ring. Plus, financially, switching to a 10 or 11 speed block and replacing the chain and mech too isn’t really my plan at the moment. I rarely use the granny and got a FSA 2x chainset off CRC at a good price so thought 2×9’s worth a go. I’ve only recently bought a 11-34 9 speed red pg990 too and new 9 speed kmc chain so will have a word with the LBS and find out how much they want to sting me for fitting the FSA BB and chainset.

edit: are the tools for removing an XT BB the same for fitting a FSA BB?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Going 2×9 from 3×9’ is closed to new replies.