Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Godamm 36 middle ring rubbing
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Hi gang.
    just got back from maiden voyage on my spicy 516
    22/36 up front.
    Got this on my trance and the chain rubs on the ramps of the 36T when on the bottom 2 cogs on the cassette which i can live with as i don,t use them anyway(crossing).
    But on the spicy it rubs from the middle down aaarrrrr.
    Will a 34T alleviate this problem.?
    Thank you all.

PaulD
    Free Member

Rob,

A 34T will alleviate the issue a small amount, but I would look at the chainline and see whether it is possible to move the crankset outboard by 2mm. Otherwise, if there is room, put washers to move the 22T inboard by 1mm.

I would set a 3×9 gearset with the middle to be inline with the 4th largest sprocket, not 5th. I would set a 2×9 with the larger ring inline with sprocket 5, not 6/7 if ‘centralised’.

This is because the lower gears have most torque and need the chain to be as near straight as possible.

PaulD

robhughes
    Free Member

paul.Will fitting an unramped 36t work bud.

robhughes
    Free Member

do you think fitting this instead.?
    As seems to not have the usual ramps of the deore and xt.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Chainrings/SLX+M665+36+Tooth+Chainring_1KG9805.htm

robhughes
    Free Member

BUMP

PaulD
    Free Member

Rob,

Sorry for the delay.

The SLX 36T does have ramps and pins, evident on the Shimano Tech Drawings and the Merlin advert.
    I think it will pick up same as your current ring.

If you cannot space the rings further apart, then consider an e-13 Guide Ring, which someone on here reckons shifts well enough without the pins and ramps.

PaulD

twohats
    Free Member

That was me that used a guide ring on a double set up and had no issues shifting between the 2 rings.

mildred

A 24 teeth granny ring will cure this – Truvativ recognise it as a problem and sell their doubles as 24/36; the upshift is much slicker too, as its got less distance to cover.

robhughes
    Free Member

Evening:Thanks paul for sorting this for me.your a star.
    Tried everywhere to get some info on this problem but the STW strike again.lol
    And thanks twohats for the backup.
    cheers guys…
    so this is the little devil..
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55190

PaulD
    Free Member

Rob,

Thia is the item.

Consider the 34T instead of the 36T to ensure you nail the problem and get better shifting.
    You may have to move the front mech down a little, but make sure it does not hit the chainstay.

Price for 34/36T looked the same.

I have a spare used 38T Black Guide Ring which I would sell, but it is not the right one for your situation.

PaulD

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers paul 34T bought.
    great here init. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Godamm 36 middle ring rubbing’ is closed to new replies.