Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • God save the queen
  • johnners
    Free Member

Not bothered by it personally, I’d rather have my conditions upped than everyone else’s lowered to match mine

And then, as if from nowhere, an actual Human Being speaks.

zimbo
    Free Member

BB seriously what is the point of your post?

Ha ha! I was about to ask the same thing.

If you are one, may I suggest you shut the **** up and keep it to yourself. Failing that if you want others to look at/engage with your art accept comment good or bad. That’s what you have invited.

I have absolutely no idea what that paragraph means…

Seems BB expects the world to live by his/her own (unclear) low standards.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I think its pretty clear to be honest, but as you are struggling with it here it is again.

If you are a principled artist that’s fine with me. Entirely your call, however, what that actually means is either a) art for arts sake and not for public consumption, or b) offering your art up for public consumption and accepting the outcome and genuinely not giving a flying stuff what anyone has to say about it, or more significantly whether they deem it worthy of giving you money or not. Both of those outlooks are absolutely fine by me, and have my full respect for those principles.

Where my view diverges is at the point where art is a business proposition and the principled artist is excepting to be paid for their work whilst flouncing about going on about their principles. Flock off! If you expect me to pay, then you have to accept that I have some choice in the matter, and some right to an opinion. That opinion might include not paying for or liking what you do so live with it. If that happens, at that point as an artist you have the same choice as the rest of us. Which is basically a real job and art as a hobby, or go hungry. So welcome to the real world.

Lifer
    Free Member

Success/principles aren’t mutually exclusive, Fugazi for example.

emsz
    Free Member

If you expect me to pay, then you have to accept that I have some choice in the matter, and some right to an opinion.

Hmmm, I’m not sure that’s right thought. You have a choice whether to buy something or not, I don’t think anyone has “a right” to an opnion. You can offer one, whether anyone takes any notice is another thing.

portlyone

This “extra” bank holiday is just today’s bank holiday shifted to next week.

We had to sing the Peruvian national anthem when I was in school there. At least god save the queen is short!

Coyote
    Free Member

This “extra” bank holiday is just today’s bank holiday shifted to next week

Incorrect. Next Monday *and* Tuesday off, i.e. extra Bank Holiday

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ah, but it’s not “extra” is it. We had 9 last year as well 😉
    Who’s going to start grumbling next year about “losing” a b/h?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Success/principles aren’t mutually exclusive, Fugazi for example

I don’t think I said they were. I’m pretty sure that what I said was that if you ask me to pay you for something I have the right to an opinion on the item and the right not to buy it. That in no way effects the artists principles, or necessarily success. What I did say is if the artists principles in essence preclude success thats also fine, but don’t flounce about moaning about either principles and/or lack of success.

zimbo
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that what I said was that if you ask me to pay you for something I have the right to an opinion on the item and the right not to buy it

You seem to be changing your argument as you go along. The point I made that you seemed to take a weirdly aggressive objection to, was that some artists/musicians/whatever would not advertise any old sh*te just for money. Lifer very aptly mentioned Fugazi who sell their records at reasonable prices and refuse to flog merchandise. There’s a huge difference between selling your records to make a living and prostituting yourself to any two-bit corporate marketeer. You might subscribe to that breadhead “every man has his price” tosh, but not all of us do.

And in response to this

may I suggest you shut the **** up and keep it to yourself

may I suggest that if you don’t want other people’s opinions, don’t spend your time looking on chat forums.

BermBandit
    Free Member

may I suggest that if you don’t want other people’s opinions, don’t spend your time looking on chat forums.

Read what I said. All consistent no change of tack or argument, and not at all incompatible with Fugazi or anyone else other than the occasional pretentious pontificator. That apart may I suggest that in respect of posting on forum, people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. I’m perfectly comfortable with your right to state whatever view you wish, (albeit that its completely wrong), what I read or write is likewise my right, and not one for you to lecture me on. In fact I’d go as far as to say thats exactly the patronising attitude that leads me to my view on pretentiousness in art.

zimbo
    Free Member

I’d rather not read what you’ve said anymore. You’re one of those infuriating people who use a lot of words but say nothing.

yunki
    Free Member

zimbo – Member
    Not my queen.
    ‘Fraid she is bud, if you live in the UK. Like it or not. Same as that p***k Cameron is my Prime Minister. Which I don’t like.

hmmm.. not so sure about this statement

It’s very possible to live outside society whilst remaining a part of society if you tailor your lifestyle appropriately and adjust your expectations accordingly..

if you are able and willing to adjust your perception slightly

just a thought

ourmaninthenorth

Mind you, free day off next Tuesday.

I love how one sodding day off is meant to make up for the enormous cost they put us to. And we’re meant to be grateful.

I shall take the day off. Possibly to build one of these:

zimbo
    Free Member

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I’m with you on the guillotine. Metaphorically, at least. Like a colleague of mine says, if you heard of a country where homeless people beg on the streets, but the ruler rides around in a gold coach, you’d think it was mediaeval. But here we are….

yoshimi

Is it uncool on here to admit I quite like our Queen and the national anthem for that matter?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

if you heard of a country where homeless people beg on the streets, but the ruler rides around in a gold coach, you’d think it was mediaeval.

No, I’d think it was normal. There seem to be fewer beggars on the street here than in many other countries though. SEEM to be at least.

yunki
    Free Member

Is it uncool on here

yes or perhaps, no.. seeing as there are no arbiters of cool available to comment on this forum..

There seem to be fewer beggars on the street here than in many other countries

LOL.. well that makes it OK then..

[whining schoolchild]’but she said it too sir’!![/whining schoolchild]

DezB
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member
    Is it uncool on here to admit I quite like our Queen

Yes

How about not being bothered about the royals in the slightest? Seeing as it’s not something we’ll ever be able to do anything about. (Except whinge, of course)

yunki
    Free Member

no arbiters of cool except DezB of course.. 😳

Aristotle
    Free Member

I’m so pleased that our monarch has been on the throne for 60 years. It makes so much difference to me and this country that she is there.

Oh, hang on a minute, it makes no difference to me or to this country at all.

It’s not about money (costs or benefits), but about the whole concept of superiority by accident of birth (and a (in)conveniently abdicating uncle) and the strange deference that goes along with it.

Really, what is the point?

ps. The national anthem is a miserable dirge.

molgrips
    Free Member

LOL.. well that makes it OK then..

Is that what you thought I meant? Really?

duckman

What is all this “God save the Queen” pish anyway? It’s the Duke of Barvaria who is King.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I’d rather not read what you’ve said anymore. You’re one of those infuriating people who use a lot of words but say nothing.

LOL finding it difficult to make your point stick by any chance?

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks yunki 😉

zimbo
    Free Member

LOL finding it difficult to make your point stick by any chance?

At least that one was short nonsense.

Anyway, you don’t need my points at all, you just decide what you want me to have said and argue hysterically with that anyway.

And this detracts from the point of the thread, so I’ll say no more, and let you have the last word. Don’t forget to pat yourself on the back afterwards.

DezB
    Free Member

Had to look back to see what you 2 were on about. Glad I did, otherwise I would’ve missed this
    occasional pretentious pontificator.

Sexy!

failedengineer

Spot on, Aristotle, spot on.

BermBandit
    Free Member

argue hysterically with that anyway.

Occasional, pretentious and pontifciating probably, alongside overweight, sweaty and bored, but definitely not hysterical

Aristotle
    Free Member

failedengineer – Member

Spot on, Aristotle, spot on.
    Thanks.

I fail to see how being “royalty” automatically results in superiority or how a fairly powerless, hereditary figurehead ‘head of state’ (and head of the ‘established’ minority church) who’s family are provided with a very privileged existence for life is any way preferable to an elected/appointed one who is in post for a fixed term.

It does genuinely mystify me that so many people seem quite happy to defer to the monarchy. I can only assume that they’ve never really given it much thought.

ps. On a personal note, I find the peculiar tone adopted by BBC correspondents reporting “Royal” stories quite irritating 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know if many people really think the royalty are actually superior or should be deferred to.

I think most royalists think that they are a nice harmless bit of tradition, and they do not believe that the cost to the country is significant.

There are a great many people in the world with high levels of privilege who inherited it rather than worked for it.

anagallis_arvensis

I think most royalists think

Your first error

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The more I think about it, the more this weekend’s “celebrations”, with the barges down the Thames and so on, seem to be a tiny and insignificant throwback to medieval times when a sad little sideshow like this would have been considered a quite big and important display of power.

And there they are, in the press and on TV – a strange and seemingly minimally talented bunch of curios and oddities – the Royal family – smiling/waving/gurning/walking around.

And it’s going to rain.

To echo a sentiment expressed here already – seriously, what IS the point?

Aristotle
    Free Member

As I and others have suggested above, I don’t think that “Royalists” do give it much thought. If they did, they might see it slightly differently.

They are celebrating the life of somebody they don’t know, who, unlike them, has a “God-given”, life-long right to extreme privilege and funding by the state (had she had a brother it would have been him we were celebrating). What is this if not deference?

The arguments about the net financial gain/loss to the country are a distraction.

The royal family are a bunch of normal people who are unaccountable and (whether or not the current queen happens to “work” hard, is wise, dignified etc.) are not superior to rest of the population, although they are treated as such by large numbers of that population.

As the Queen said in a recent Christmas speech,
    “It is at this time of the year that we should think of those less fortunate than ourselves” -That’s a lot of people to think about!

Why hang out the flags because the queen has been on the throne for 60 years?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Why not hang out the flags because the queen has been on the throne for 60 years?

Regardless of job, anyone who does it for 60 years gets a party, her job affects more people so gets a bigger party.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, she has a “job”, eh? And what does she do, in this “job”, exactly?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep
    Regardless of job, anyone who does it for 60 years gets a party, her job affects more people so gets a bigger party.

What?

BermBandit
    Free Member

great many people in the world with high levels of privilege who inherited it rather than worked for it.

Nail hit firmly on the head moley, but not in the way you intended. So what proprotion of the 7 billion odd on this planet do you reckon are enjoying a high level of privilige because they inherited it exactly?
    The fact is that if you think about it the answer is a miniscule infinitesimally small proportion. No problem with enjoying high levels of worth, but personally I’d prefer them to earn it, and frankly I reckon it sets a really bad example of our nation to have the pinnicle of our society represented in this way.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So, she has a “job”, eh? And what does she do, in this “job”, exactly?

It’s pretty extensive and it would be hard to know where to begin.

Of course you might think that it’s a completely useless and pointless job, but that’s a completely different issue. She definitely has a job.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘God save the queen’ is closed to new replies.