Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Go ape. Anyone been?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just wondered if one is better than the other. A few options open close by. Buxton, pines and cannock all within 45 mins. Mrs ws has already ruled herself injured that day so it’s just me and the 11 and 14 yr old.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve been to Dalby and Sherwood Pines, both good but Dalby has the edge imo because of the way it’s built into the hillside.

Other than that, I’m not sure there’s much to choose between them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Don’t go to the one in Delamere. It looks beyond crap.
    It’s only about 10ft off the deck and about 4 obstacles long..
    😐

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yep Dalamare is poor in comparison. Dalby has some fantasically super semi scary stuff.
    I’ve been with my kids who loved it. Check the height restrictions.

CHB

Dalby is brilliant. Done it 4 times.

RustySpanner

Buxton is excellent.
    Went for son in law’s stag do – pretty high for a coward like me, lots to do.

vixalot
    Free Member

I had a choice of Pines or Cannock (i was told both good, I was going with someone who worked at go ape) we went to the Cannock one as it had longer zip wires, (and we could go for a ride after, I ride Pines a lot)
    I was a brill day, dont wear your best clothes they will get dirty, I found some bits hard work but it’s definitely fun, my poor knees don’t like kneeling on hard surfaces so that was a bit hard work and my arms ached i should have let the harness take the strain but my instinct was to hold on for dear life !
    Pines one was very busy today

Northwind

You wouldn’t get me on the one at glentress without sedatives, it looks ****ing horrifying.

cbike
    Free Member

Aberfoyle is good. Zip lines are really long.

burko73

The glentress one is good but I’d park in Peebles and walk in…..

chrisdw
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIEHqsNRCeU&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop[/video]

Right next to Antur Stiniog too.

Pook

It always looks a bit tame to me

leffeboy

You wouldn’t get me on the one at glentress without sedatives, it looks ****ing horrifying.

glad you said that. I used to do them but find they get scarier with age. Always look did an excuse to avoid now 🙁

Superficial
    Free Member

I really liked the Lakes one. I went there with a bunch of people from work and it created quite an interesting dynamic. Having done a bit of climbing, I’m used to harnesses and I’m relatively agile, so I thought I’d cakewalk it. I certainly wasn’t too bad, but I do have a bit of hesitation in launching myself off stuff.

But one of the *ahem* larger ladies from work had never done anything like it before but clearly had no fear. She was running around and launching off everything without a second thought. Impressive.

Anyway, it’s good fun but some of them do seem a bit tame compared with others. The Whinlatter one has some quite high features / long ziplines etc. It was good fun.

kayak23

Did the Cannock one a couple of weeks ago. Good fun but freezing at the moment when bottlenecks form.

Northwind

leffeboy – Member

glad you said that. I used to do them but find they get scarier with age. Always look did an excuse to avoid now

Nah, take no solace from this, I’m a complete coward.

chickenman

I have to admit I really struggle with the Go Ape concept: Kids are not allowed on unaccompanied so that means a minimum of £58 for the experience (at Aberfoyle). While I’m sure this reflects the true cost of running an operation like this in Health + Safety Nazi Britain; in France for example you can go on all their amazing Via Ferratas they have all over the southern part of the country and it costs zilch: You bring your own gear and take responsibility for your own safety. I did one in Lantosque where they took £15 off me (offspring included); this did include pulley hire for the 100m off the deck zipwire. The bloke in the hire kiosk did briefly watch out the window to check we knew what we were doing.

mattbee

Once you add on the cost of the travel to France it would probably be a little more expensive though. 😉

Bit of a bus mans holiday for me so never done one but I think that they are a bit like McDs in that each one is essentially the same but has different flavour added by its location. Wherevreally you go I suspect the kids will love it regardless of the actual height.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Go-Ape is a for profit company. They have to hire the land, build all the equipment and pay the staff. Most French via ferratas are maintained by the local commune and are free with the idea that they will attract tourists to the area. If you do pay anything, it’s generally just for equipment hire, paid to some company who has set up near to, but doesn’t own or maintain, the via ferrata.

richmars

Not done the Go Ape (Thetford) but the off road segways are a laugh.

jamj1974

I have been to the one at Cannock a couple of times. Good fun.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Now torn between cannock and Buxton as cannock can involve a quick loop of follow ya dad for a full day out.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve done the Wyre Forest one and enjoyed it, although after a while it did get to feel like some slightly dull donkey work to get to next swing or zipline, which were the best bits. Not a bad place to be on a nice day with some friends.
    I used to be a climber so used to the harnesses and heights.

Murray

There’s a good one in Whistler. Someone tried to sue after they injured themselves by not following the instructions and making themselves unsafe. The Canadian judge told them to jog on.

If you’re down in Devon Tamar Trails are excellent. Jumping out of a tree 50 feet up and relying on the cable and brake to save you is exciting! Great people(my only connection is as a customer).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Go ape. Anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.