Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Glentress alternative trails
  • dufusdip
    Free Member

Tried a couple of the trails at GlenT for a bit of variety – Mask of Zorro and Trail Fairy Plan. Great fun but they spit you back out at the bottom of Tower climb. Yes that shouldn’t be a problem but hate the brutality of the climb for a second time.

I can’t see a decent way to link trails from trail forks to either come back up or get more trails in to a route back to the bottom car park.

Any suggestions on loops from these trails or other similar trail loops?

Thanks!

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Two main options from the bottom of Zorro/TF plan.

1- Do the normal black climb but instead of turning left continuing on the black route, just continue straight up the walking path in front of you. It’s steep for a little bit but then levels off and spits you back on the black climb after Britney spears/just before the final haul to the mast. Much shorter.

2. Turn left at the end of TF plan and continue on the fireroad for a bit. You will come to a steep fireroad coming off the main one on the left. Push/ride up this and it’ll bring you to another fireroad which is part of the black route. Ride the fireroad along (effectively the black backwards, you’ll see Soon Plooms coming up on your right) and this will spit you out at the free ride park where you can go and ride whatever you like.

Northwind

A good alternative is to approach them up the red/black climb then ride up to the mast- still leaves you climbing back up the black (or the walker’s path if you want to short cut it) but means you’re not doing it twice.

Alternatively you can carry on down- there’s a nice wee path that runs to near the shieldaig centre and then you can climb out of there and over the top to some cool descents to the hydro.

ohrats
    Free Member

There is work currently happening on a new black descent however I have no idea where it is…

ChrisL

As per Northwind’s first suggestion usually if I’m doing either of those trails I’ll take the red up to the mast so I don’t have to do the black climb twice.

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed the fire road that bloodsexmagik mentions in his second suggestion (I must look harder) but I do sometimes head back towards the Buzzards’ Nest along the fire roads. It’s a longer bash than it feels like it should be though and comes out at the top of Zoom or Bust.

Also the name given to A Trailfairy Plan by the Trailfairies themselves (err ourselves) is “B Side”, so we’d really appreciate it if you called it that. “A Trailfairy Plan” was actually a placeholder name temporarily stuck onto Strava or Trailforks or similar by one fairy during its construction, to ensure we actually got to put its real name on the site when we finally decided what it was. 🙂

dufusdip
    Free Member

thanks to you all.

And apologies ChrisL I had no idea what the trail name was until i found it on Trailforks to work out where we’d been!

Northwind

B Side is a rubbish name to be fair, I think we should have stuck with Bigjim’s suggestion

ChrisL

Northwind – Member
    B Side is a rubbish name to be fair, I think we should have stuck with Bigjim’s suggestion

You would. I wasn’t part of the naming of B Side, but seeing as I get so twitchy about the Glorious Five Year Plan, I should defend our other trail names too! 🙂

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Having just moved nearby, I’ve only started exploring the official routes. Is there anyway to join in with the trail faeries, used to the Sheffield peak scene, where – due to the cheeky nature of the tracks – helping out was more sneaking by. Would be grand to do some official building!

BigR

All the info is on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/trailfairies/

Northwind

Or on here- we meet every second saturday and there’s a session next week. we’re working on a totally new descent for the tweedlove international (to add to B Side and Five Year Plan which we built for previous races)

I say we, that’s the royal we, I’ve not done any of the digging for this trail. But that will not stop me claiming credit.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Thank you! I’m away for a month, but will jump in on that once I’m back.

Failing that, I’ll take the lead from Northwind, and just take the credit 😆

ChrisL

thegnarlycenturion – Member
    Thank you! I’m away for a month, but will jump in on that once I’m back.

Failing that, I’ll take the lead from Northwind, and just take the credit

See if you can beat Joshvegas, who’s been promising to come along for about 3 years now. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think I’ve been hoping to make a comeback for about 4 years.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Glentress alternative trails’ is closed to new replies.