Home Forums Bike Forum Glentress 7 2024

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Glentress 7 2024
    vww

Such a good event. Great atmosphere. I think one of the best parts of events like this is the constant riders coming through the start/finish. As a spectator/supporter, there’s always something to see. And on course, there’s always plenty of folk to chat/commiserate with, should you want to. The chance to get better at sections too. The format appeals to me far more than enduro.

Would be really good to see GT7 return sometime. It seems popular enough, but I guess there’s a lot more to it than that.

snotrag

100%  on that.

Even tough like many of us, I prefer the downs to the ups, these kind of multi lap long format events are definitely my favourite, as you get the mix of some great descending, and the chance to have multiple runs at sections unlike many Enduro. The climbs are a real test, and you end up pacing off people and racing your peers whether your at the front or the back of the pack.

I chatted with a range of middle-of-the-pack soloists and we shared some smiles and grimaces. I’d love to do some teams entries too if I can find some willing mates one day!

Shout out to the fella on the black ibis (I think) with Orange Crank Brothers wheels. A lot faster than me, but I kept catching him when his wheels exploded… Mech mangled itself… Crank fell off… Crank fell off again… Etc etc.

Seemed to have his bike in the upside down emergency maintenance position at the top of every clkmb, every lap… I’ve never seen so many mechanicals in one ride. Credit for carrying on to the finish!

jonba
    Free Member

I am so sad to see this one disappear. I first did it back in 2011, then again in 2012 before a ten year gap to 2022 and then this year.

I was a bit gutted all the hitters turned out for one last hurrah as I had aspirations for a podium . I gave it everything for 11 laps and 5th V40. Loved all of the descents. I know the man made stuff well which was an advantage. The walkers path was entertaining, changing most laps. Those roots got real challenging when the fatigue set in. The swoopy bit right before the start finish was one to look forward to every lap. A bit of a breather but brought a smile trying to get down without touching the brakes (failed!).

I think I got my money out of the cake feed station – which was great. Switched to gels for laps 10 and 11 but got something each time before that. Desperately trying to shove it in before the decent was a challenge.

mtnboarder

Had a really good day marshalling- so many smiling riders and comments about how well run the event was.

I was at the off camber corner into the singletrack final descent, seemed to be causing many issues. There was no right line for it, but many many different tricky ones!

aide

@mtnboarder – was good to see you and get a face to the name. I’ll second what you said everyone seemed to enjoy it and loads of smiling faces going past. A lot of people saying they were sad to see the end of tweedlove.

Did anyone on here lose a small puncture kit? Picked one up on the day but couldn’t figure out who’s it was.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I’d not be able to pick mtnboarder from a crowd – I was focussing so hard on that corner that I never really saw a face. It was a tricky one, I only had it properly figured out by the last lap (foot out seemed to help).

Snotrag was easier to spot because his bike’s so individual! He seemed in good fooling for someone who’d ridden so many laps.

I was saying to my teammate that I’ve not seen an endurance race that size for years – there’s clearly a market for it, even if the enduro stuff isn’t viable. My suspicion is that a local cycling club or enthusiastic rider will have a go at it on a scaled down, lower key basis similar to how the Galloway Hillbillies run 10@Kirroughtree.

mtnboarder

No worries! Most people had issues there- not helped by it changing from greasy and slick to dusty!

There was an inside line over the grass which seemed to have more grip than the trail, some were using the banking to setup wide- some successfully, others not so!

Only one person came off all day though, which was a surprise given how many had near misses.

Rode Enjoyro Evo yesterday (managed 7th in old guy ebike class) which I’m told had the highest turnout for any Tweedlove enduro at over 400. We didn’t set off until 11am and there were still riders heading for Stage 1 as we were on our way to 4. Also many happy riders.

Tweedlove will be greatly missed, but the team seemed relieved that they will have some downtime, and they’re going out on a high.

gt7_casualty
    Free Member

Late to the party here, but I had a great time, loved the course. All the marshalls were amazing, really supportive and encouraging. I was also paying too much attention to the tricky corner to really see mtnboarder, but tried to commentate my various failed lines ?

I managed 10 laps which was more than I expected and probably the hardest ride I’ve ever done. More importantly I finished the race without an ambulance, an improvement over 2022!

Other highlights were the line choices on the matrix for some nice passing, the walkers path bit which was interestingly rooty and the guilty pleasure of the super groomed blue flow to the finish line. Glad my tyres stayed on round some of those berms!

Huge thanks to everyone involved, gutted that it’s all coming to an end.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, it was my first event like this for 6 years. I managed 6 laps plus the first in a pairs team, averaging around 41 minutes per lap. The climbs were my weakness. There were some fast riders there! I definitely need to work on the fitness, and will be looking for more races like this to do again. It’s a shame it’s the last .

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.