Home Forums Bike Forum Glentress

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glentress
  • gooner666

I am in Peebles for the next two weeks and want to do some early rides.

What time can I get access to the car park?

Is it open 24 hrs?

Thanks

kneed
    Free Member

Yes open 24 x 7.

Someone even “removes” all the entry & exit barriers on a regular basis. Still – do the right thing and pay before you leave!

Actually I’m curious as to who / what keeps driving into the barriers. Its cant be cheap to keep replacing them!

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you are in peebles just ride to glentress.

Option 1… Along the riad

Option 2… along the bike path

Option 3… Up via janets brae. But thats awful.

Driving is absolute madness.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I prefer up Janet’s, means you finish on Daves. Much better option with Falla Brae presumably still diverted?

joshvegas
    Free Member

prefer up Janet’s, means you finish on Daves. Much better option

As a singlespeeder i consider janets brae to suck the hairiest of balls.

Northwind

it’ll be pretty disrupted next weekend for the GT7 btw.

And yep agree about riding up from Peebles, the Fort and Dave’s Trail are excellent ways to end and Janet’s Brae takes you right to the buzzard’s nest building site, middle of the trails. You can ride up Soonhope as well and that takes you right into the bottom of the western offpistes. If you end your ride at the visitor’s centre there’s an excellent flat bike path that leads back into town and also some pretty nice flat woodsy singletrack

BoardinBob

As a singlespeeder i consider janets brae to suck the hairiest of balls.

As a 52t cassette rider, it still sucks baws.

vww

If coming from Peebles, I’d second going up Soonhope. Especially if you want to ride the off piste classics like Zorro, Thunder Struck, etc. Even if you don’t, that way takes you around Buzzard’s Nest directly into the red Spooky climb, and is longer but easier than up Janet’s Brae. And you can still finish down JB trails.

Otherwise, ride along the bike path to the main entrance. 15 mins easy spin.

Northwind

Equally, the blue climb up (ie old climb) is about as nice a climb as exists anywhere, interesting enough to make it fly by. And the fireroad climb up to the new trails is very efficient. And they all give you slightly different entry options but can basically take you anywhere on the hill They’re all good options imo and all good in slightly different ways which is great.

joshvegas
    Free Member

To be fair with two weeks OP can try them all.

But there really is zero reason to drive i hink we re all agreeing on tha point.

Also worth doin gypsy glen, thats a cracking evening ride.

BoardinBob

What’s the soonhope climb? Start at the hydro and up past the wooden huts?

Northwind

Yep, just straight up past the foot of janet’s brae, up the side of soonhope burn.

mashr

Soonhope is my current favourite way up. After the (second iirc) gate you’ll start seeing the trails dropping in from the right.

phil5556

I’ve only been up that way on the Gravel bike, looks a good option for the off piste though so might give it a go next time we’re over there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Agree with all the above – if you’re in Peebles, its quite a nice spin to warm up by riding into the forest.

gooner666

Thank all had a great ride this morning. Did the short (about 4.5 miles) new red and then the full red (about 10.5 miles)

Just for clarity although we always say we are going to Peebles (it’s the nearest town) we actually stay 8 miles west of the town so biking to Glentress and back is a non starter especially as part of my “ticket to ride” while on a family holiday is that I do the supermarket shop on my way back!

Fo me if I was actually staying in Peebles I would go via Janets Brae

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yeah thats not Peebles.

Blythe Bridge?

Pretty depressing to have to come to our local “supermarkets”

Just swing by the butchers and fat batard for cakes and bread. Top up with a coffee from the milkman. Job jobbed.

gooner666

Went to Forsyth for meat but the fishmonger was closed

only saying yesterday that we had never been in the fat batard so will go in tomorrow when I go to fishmonger

have to disagree with milkman – cocoa black, and the cakes mmmmmmm

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cocoa blacks is hands down the worst non instant coffee i have bought in the last 10 years they topped up my flat white with boiling water! Cakes are alright but not my thing.

You will struggle tomorrow with fat batard. Tuesdays thursdays and Saturdays. But you will not be disappointed. Well you might be if you lave it to late :-)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.