Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Glasgow School of Art – burning
  • mogrim

In what other ways do you think buildings can be important? Do you apply this kind of logic to other kinds of art?

It might help you to think of this building as a 3D equivalent of a Picasso or Rembrandt – if one of those was damaged, you’d be all for restoring it, right? The UK government recently contributed to £50m for a Titian – and that didn’t catch fire, it was only being bought by an American.

Hold on a sec, I didn’t say it shouldn’t be restored! I’m quite happy for this kind of work to be funded from the public purse. Some people reading this thread seem to think I want to see the place burnt down, which is a complete lie.

I’m just saying that the importance of buildings isn’t just limited to their structure (and fittings etc.), the use they’ve been put to is IMO far more important from a historical point of view. And by that measure the GSoA isn’t really that important.

hora
    Free Member

Scotland, UK, England, Nigeria- who cares who pays?

Seriously, its a treasure. It should be built exactly as is. A long time ago but how many beautiful buildings were raised by fire in the war and then built over with crap in our country.

Glad they saved it. It’d been hideous if the main part collapsed and they kept the facade as a pretence or a modern likeness built on the grounds. Worse if something hideous like the Scottish assembly was built.

We all should chip in too.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m just saying that the importance of buildings isn’t just limited to their structure (and fittings etc.), the use they’ve been put to is IMO far more important from a historical point of view. And by that measure the GSoA isn’t really that important.

I think there’s two reasons why people aren’t able to accept what you’re saying here mogrim:

1. You don’t know what the GSA is or it’s history; and
    2. you have an extremely narrow view of what is important from a historical perspective, a view which seems to be out of sync with the rest of the world.

🙂

tomd
    Free Member

Morgrim – have you ever been to the GSA or explored any of CRMs other buildings?

The work of CRM was revolutionary, and the fact that he created many expectional but highly practical buildings makes him and his all the more special. Scotland Street School is another of his famous buildings, it’s absolutely incredible inside and way way ahead of it’s time. That’s why I admire his work – he created exceptional buildings for people to enjoy and benefit from.

Oh and he knocked together the GSA designs in his twenties. It’s been said above, but he designed everything. Fixtures and fittings as well as the building.

mogrim

1. You don’t know what the GSA is or it’s history; and
    2. you have an extremely narrow view of what is important from a historical perspective, a view which seems to be out of sync with the rest of the world.

I’m not sure it’s narrow – some people here seem to judge a building purely on its architectural importance, which seems to me a far narrower viewpoint.

Still, if anyone could point me to a webpage with a decent account of the importance of the building I’d be more than happy to read it and educate myself – so far my admittedly limited googling hasn’t turned up a great deal.

tomd
    Free Member

And this is distilled bollocks of the highest order. I think a exceptional and visionary building, created for it’s purpose, admired around the world and still in use day to day by normal real students is worth celebrating.

peterfile
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

It is important if you appreciate the history of art, design, crafts etc.

Maybe art isn’t your thing. I think its of historical importance and should be saved and cherished.

eddie11
    Free Member

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/caring/listing/listed-buildings/how-do-buildings-become-listed/

(yeah yeah its the english heritage, scottish system is the same but different i i dont know where that lives on the internet)

youre right in a way, buildings are valued for a range of different things, the point youre missing is that GSA IS pretty high up them all for it to be grade A. e.g. political importance is proved by the fact restoration has already become a football between westminster and holyrood.

footflaps

. e.g. political importance is proved by the fact restoration has already become a football between westminster and holyrood.

I can’t help thinking that the impending independence vote hasn’t had some influence on Westminster being so keen to be seen to be offering money…..

hora
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that the impending independence vote hasn’t had some influence on Westminster being so keen to be seen to be offering money…..

Do you think they wouldn’t? Do you think they’d let such a historic building be knocked down then because of a fire if they could help it?

Like the podgy effeminate looking braveheart bloke, you seem to suggest that everyone is against ‘Scotland’, be it all the political parties, the Treasury etc etc when they say something against what he thinks.

Like him, being a Politician is totally above reproach too..

As has been pointed out….if Scotland left, in the last election the Tories would have won clean, not had to do a coalition. So it’d be in the Tories benefit if they did leave. So why don’t they want a break up?

Think about it. You can call your braveheart friend if you like. His silver-tongue will sell you a vision.

duckman

Think about it. You can call your braveheart friend if you like. His silver-tongue will sell you a vision.

Better a vision than a shite brown bike… 😈

Footflaps is English Hora, so I am afraid I will have to mark that rant down to 2/10.

hora
    Free Member

Are you sure I want to see his lineage/DNA chart :mrgreen:

epicyclo

hora – Member
    ….if Scotland left, in the last election the Tories would have won clean, not had to do a coalition. So it’d be in the Tories benefit if they did leave. So why don’t they want a break up?

Ooh ooh ooh! I can answer that. 🙂

Guess who owns large tracts of the cleared lands in the Highlands?

And Land Reform is high on the agenda after independence….

duckman

I would rather spend the money on Weegie school of art than supporting wars abroad. I would fwwl the same about any fine old building mind.

onehundredthidiot

Looked as though it’s not nearly as bad as it could have been. News tonight was quite upbeat.

epicyclo

duckman – Member
    I would rather spend the money on Weegie school of art than supporting wars abroad….

Me too.

onehundredthidiot

Agreed my question, was surely insurance/donations should come before the public purse.

footflaps

I have absolutely no idea what this means!

Are you sure I want to see his lineage/DNA chart

50% Yorkshire if that counts?

convert

To bring this thread back to life….

Just watching ‘Climbing great buildings” on BBC2 with my lunch.

Today it’s on the GSA – absolutely gutting to watch knowing so much of it has gone.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow School of Art – burning’ is closed to new replies.