• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glandular fever, a couple of quick questions.
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought I had flu but looking into it I think it more likely that I have glandular fever. Assume it’s just a case of time and rest and the usual paracetamol/ibuprofen to manage it? Bad few days but things do seem to be improving. Is there any point in going to see the GP? And when to get back on the bike?

taxi25
    Free Member

See your Gp, a blood test will confirm glandular fever. You can ride your bike when your able. It took me a year to get over it fully, for months I had fatigue, even walking down the street might leave exhausted with a racing heart beat !!!

poah
    Free Member

stop kissing people

thegman67

I had it years ago but had to go to the doctors for tests before it was confirmed. At the time I played junior football and was physically unable to train 6 months

mrblobby
    Free Member

Any point getting tests and a diagnosis though? Does it in any way help with treatment?

physically unable to train 6 months

That would be very bad indeed 😕

andytherocketeer

given some of the potential complications that can arise if you train with glandular fever, I’d go see a doc. better to have confirmation imho. took all my energy to walk to the docs (about 300yards away).

was 2 weeks in bed for me, taking until the lunchtime episode of Neighbours to summon up enough energy to get out of bed. 2 weeks of being able to consume nothing other than ice cream and ice cold coke. then 6 weeks of no exercise at all. then 6 months to a year of not really having much energy.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That sounds awful. I’ve had about 3 days of it being very painful to swallow but it is getting a bit easier now. Absolutely knackered but not had the option of much bed rest with 2 kids to look after.

I’ll book in with the GP.

spawnofyorkshire

Def go see your GP. I had Glandular Fever two years ago.
    A month in bed, and was hours away from being hospitalised for a secondary infection before the third dose of antibiotics finally kicked in.
    It sucked.
    Like others it took 6 months to recover my energy levels. Do not try to rush back
    If your throat is hurting I’d recommend Corvonia spray, but that’s a check with your GP/Pharmacist first type thing

Also worth finding out what you’re infected with as you can be infectious for months afterwards so you need to be careful.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It took Mrs M years to recover from Glandulare Fever, bad energy levels for a long time.

thegman67

My glands had swollen up to such an extent that all I could do was suck ice cubes for five days then blended food for a week

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds like I may have gotten off quite lightly. Been very swollen and painful but I can now eat and drink without too much pain, at least once the drugs have kicked in. Though I did sneeze earlier for the first time since I’ve had this and it felt like my head was going to explode.

jimw
    Free Member

I believe that in general the older you are the longer it takes to get over it.
    I had it at 32, it was the post-viral fatigue that I found very debilitating so I took two blocks of a few weeks ( paid leave) off work three or so months apart to try and get over it. that didn’t work so, on my GP’s advice I asked if I could take longer as a sabbatical (unpaid of course) which I was lucky enough to be granted. I spend the first six months improving and the second six travelling, and came back completely refreshed and had no recurrence. I was lucky, I had no ties at that point and slotted back into work with no problems, just much poorer.

welshfarmer

Spent 8 days in the university medical centre with it when it was complicated with Hepatitus A. I turned a lovely shade of yellow. Was banned from Alcohol for 6 months (this was in my final year!).

chorlton
    Free Member

I had it a couple of years ago. Just self diagnosed myself. The docs can’t do anything anyway unless you get complications.
    Two weeks I was completely useless. It’s basically tonsillitis with flue. Tried drinking water in the morning and it shot out my nose. Bloody awful.
    Fine now though. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I had it in my early 20s

6 months to a year of not really having much energy

pretty much summed it up. About a year on I was in the Lakes (easy) walking with a mate and suddenly realised that for the first time in months I didn’t feel like shit. One of the happiest days of my life.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Umm any people had it then been fine in a couple of weeks?

Got two small kids, self employed, and a busy summer coming up. Cannot be out of action for months 😕

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Let me tell you now one thing! You almost certainly wouldn’t be able to post on here if you had a bad dose of gladular fever.

I had to go to A&E in the end as GPs were waiting for blood results over bank holiday.
    My throat was like razor blades, couldn’t sleep for a week and lost nearly a stone in that time.

I was given a course of Codeine which was stronger than the usual special brew treatment 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m hoping I’ve got off lightly. Had it for about a week now and was as ill as i think I’ve ever been for about three days of that but does seem to be improving now.

jimw
    Free Member

Umm any people had it then been fine in a couple of weeks?

A couple of weeks? If you have it, unlikely, but as a teacher of teenage students for thirty years, I saw many of those who were diagnosed be back to normal in a month or so, and well enough for most things in much less time than that. It really depends on the post viral effect- some have it bad, others don’t

From the NHS choices website

While the symptoms of glandular fever can be very unpleasant, most of them should pass within two to three weeks. Fatigue, however, can occasionally last several months.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Glandular fever, a couple of quick questions.’ is closed to new replies.