• This topic has 333 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by diz.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 334 total)
  • Gisburn Forest is open.
  • nbt

Here is the link for your file, which will be available for 7 Days or 100 downloads.
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1RwUXVqRnd3NUtGa1E9PQ

higgo
    Free Member

Cheers Oggles.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Ive just watched the you tube footage linked, one by one, and really impressed. cant wait to heal quick and get riding, only 50 miles from me, defo one of the first places im going. I haven't been up that way since the NEMBA's………….

stumpyjon

Also thanks Oggles, I'm away from home this weekend (currently sat in a tapas bar in Cardiff) so I don't have access to the file.

Agree with Lowey about the speed humps, couple of odd lumps in strange places on the last section of blue as well.

Off to Afan tomorrow, haven't decided which trail yet.

hicksville
    Free Member

I agree with both too many berms and the speed bumps, I would like to see some more natural singletrack, but will need to describe that a bit better. Will ride it again next week. When is the next dig? 🙂

stumpyjon

Next dig is a week on Sunday.

Not sure I agree with there being too many berms although I do agree some more flowing fast less technical singletrack would be nice. I've always enjoyed the old section of red into the valley and the little bit around Stephen Park.

Looks like a consensus is forming. We need to feedback to Martin, coming along to a dig day is a good way of doing it 😉 .

FatGaffa
    Free Member

I can't open the .GPX file! Has anyone got the Garmin .tcx file or know how to convert the .GPX file so I can import it in to Garmin Connect?

Kind Regards

nbt

do a google search for GPS converter

FatGaffa
    Free Member

Thanks,

I have a converter or 2 and I still cant import it in to Garmin connect or motionbased to download to my Garmin Edge 705…..

Anyone else having this problem?

FatGaffa
    Free Member

Update…..

nbt I have sorted it, used tcx converter and downloaded directly to the GPS unit. I will post to Garmin Connect if we get there on Sunday, thanks Guys….

hicksville
    Free Member

what time and where is the meet point next sunday please?

thanks 🙂

diz

Does anyone have a postcode for the carpark?

nbt
    grumm
    Free Member

Nice one everyone – gonna head up there later today with the gf

Is the black gully section the sort of wiggly looking bit near the north east corner of the trail? I can see a short section branching off there. Any other black bits? My gf will want to avoid them.

Cheers

nbt

you can skip any of the black bits. The berms come after the slab: they are marked as black due to the consequences of failure rather than technicality, so make sure you go down them!

Bunnyhop

grumm-if she doesn't fancy the really big berms, she can ride past to the right there is the old red route down, it meets the bottom of the berms at an old ruin. You'll know when you get to these, as there is a little rocky step down section at the top.

Bunnyhop

Whoops you've probably set off by now.

grumm
    Free Member

Still here – I'll be going soon though 🙂

Thanks for that. She's not normally too bad with big berms, it's steep rocky stuff she doesn't like (and boardwalk!). Watched a few vids and it seems like she should be ok with most of it.

robgarrioch

Went for a couple of laps this morning (semi-bearded bloke with severely clashing dark clothing/sky-blue helmet on a Pitch Pro, if anyone noticed…), found it a very decent work-out with plenty challenge to keep things interesting. Accept that fire-roads are a necessary evil to get you to the good stuff, but still loved the climbs, though there seemed some odd choices here and there that broke the flow up a little, those curiously sized / spaced speed bumps as has already been said. Be interesting to see how it develops under the traffic it's going to get, slip-fest in the muddy section through the trees, hopefully riders will exercise the caution muscles when it's wet through the 'swoopy canyon'.
    It's quite tight in places compared to, say, GlenT, but no less enjoyable. Also got on about the best I ever have in a 'black' section, up the top. That slab slope is THE quick-hit rush. It's kinda like Laggan up there, if rather less intense.
    Well done to all involved, you can really see the work that's been put in. Hopefully will join one of the dig days in the next few months; stumpyjon – will you keep posting the dig dates?
    Cheers.

diz

Many thanks nbt i found it before you had posted but will be handy for next time. Great afternoons ride. Loved the northshore, the slab was a quick rush and the berms are stunning. Some excellent singletrack it'll be a shame to see it all full of brake bumps form idiots who can't ride (IOM).
    Thanks to all those involved and i will try to get up for a dig day asap.

stumpyjon

Will do Rob, next date is as I have said a week on Sunday, one after that will be a fortnight later.

Best way to keep up to date is to email this guy:

Martin.Charlesworth@lancashire.gov.uk

He maintains the email list and usually sends out reminders and more importantly lets everyone know if a dig day is cancelled or postponed.

Not quite sure what his role is but he seems to organise a lot of volunteer type activities for Lancs council.

Not to be confused with he other Martin, Martin Colledge who is the FC driving force behind the project.

Bunnyhop

grumm-how did your gf. get on with the boardwalk? I got off the bike when the board walk humped up. I also didn't ride that rocky ladder descent in the woods, which was in the first section of volunteer built st.

grumm
    Free Member

We both really enjoyed it. My gf didn't ride most of the boardwalk section with the humps in it (or that rocky steep bit in the volunteer built section). She did ride some of the black section with the giant berms though, which she was quite pleased by. Not sure about the black grading personally.

If I was being critical I would agree with the comments about the bumps – I like getting two wheels off the ground and there seemed to be a lot of things that looked like they could be jumps, but because of the way they were placed didn't seem very jumpable. I suppose when I get to know the trail a bit better I might find more opportunities for jumping.

oxnop
    Free Member

Just driving back from gisburn now. We got there for 830 the rain was lashing down, but wow, much better than expected. Really grippy( even the slab ) in the wet.

Pleased there is a place to mess about/have a quick blast only 40 mins from home. Looking forward to when it gets waymarked (the yellow crayon arrows did help tho!)

teagirl
    Free Member

Wow! We (4 girls on Thurs night) had tremendous fun and I can't believe its almost on my doorstep. Plenty of "just nipping out, dear" to be had. We laughed loads down swoopy canyon but wouldn't want to do it after rain. The 'blue' back to the carpark was fun and will be great for kids. Will be revisiting very soon and will do the hump on the boardwalk now my heads round it.
    Many thanks to all involved and I look forward to watching incredibly brave types going down that new (as yet unopened)black section. 😀

lowey

Was up there today in the pouring rain. Had a great time, however, the surfacing in the rollercoaster really does need thinking about. It was like ICE all the way down. I think its only a matter of time before there is a nasty accident there.

diz

When are the marker arrow's going to be in place?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

diz
    Not before 3rd August, is all I can say for def.

Martin Colledge (the main FC guy behind the whole project) is back from holiday on the 3rd August. At some point, soon thereafter, he will remove the old two-way route signage and estabilsh the new correct one-way route. How quickly this happens, I suppose, will all depend on whether all the new posts have been put in correctly (in his absence) and when/whether all the plastic signage inserts are printed, correct, and in his posession.

Maybe another week or two, at a guess. Before he went on hols, he certainly stated it's his top priority.

pinches
    Free Member

i went up on monday afternoon, having never been before found the signage quite confusing. But, i enjoyed what i found to ride just exploring, great especially within 30mins of home, will be up there again friday i think doing some more exploring. at the moment i only have my full race hardtail or my race 4x bike, nothing ideal for such a place!

taka
    Free Member

there was a guy on the black runs last time i was up an a ridged jump bike guess a 4x bike isnt far off?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As stated by stumpyjon in the OP and throughout this thread, it is not officially open yet. FC have given the 'thumbs up' to ride all the new bits if you can find them, but it is not officially open until the new signage has been put in place.

By all means, turn up and ride everything you can find, but there is no correct signage in place yet, as it is not officially open!!!

pinches
    Free Member

hmm might take the intense across tomorrow, but i'll be pushing up the fire roads.

i don't really know where anything is across there, is anyone going this week/weekend that could show me around?

taka
    Free Member

i might be going this weekend? or week?

pinches
    Free Member

do you want to let me know when you're planning on going? just drop us an email pimpcheese69@hotmail.com i'm at a loose end pretty much everyday for the forseeable future (graduate student looking for an automotive industry job = fail)

taka
    Free Member

im a student bum who's life evolves around my bikes 😉

pinches
    Free Member

great, give us a shout.

taka
    Free Member

have done

crazant
    Free Member

Anyone done it on a Tandem yet ???
    Cleared the Black run at Llandegla on it , but lost my bottle a lot since then…tight switchbacks are a problem..

Cheers

Chunk
    Free Member

Im heading up from Bamber Bridge tonight if anyone fancies it. Will be there for 5-530. Ive done it a few times but looks like ive been doing it the wrong way round :oops:, also hadnt sussed out where the volunteer bit is until now. Im looking out for a link-in from it to Dunsop Bridge 'black' route aswell if anyone knows one. Going to try and get a club ride out of it and possibly include this, dunsop and chipping. Should be approx 60-70k by the end of it.

daveDOTadamsonATmeDOTcom

Oggles
    Free Member

A brilliant first outing to Gisburn this afternoon. Rode over from Garstang on my own but I'll be back with more people soon!! I got lost a few times, but that was to be expected seeing as there are no signs up yet! Thanks to yellow crayon man though, that made things a bit easier 🙂 I didn't anticipate the wetness and was using dry lube. Which washed off my chain after the first puddle!!

The boardwalk is well done, I can see it being a confidence builder for people like my dad who don't like riding the sawn stuff. (like at Grizedale) And the blue sections will be perfect for my little sister. Fun for the whole family.

I calculated the slab angle as approximately steep to the power of max. It was seriously windy up on that outcrop too. That whole top section is very cool with the multiple lines.

The bermcoaster is AWESOME so I did it again. I nearly washed out my front wheel in one of the puddles though, take it easy if it's wet.

Deffo worth riding the 50 mile round trip, even if i was into the wind the whole way back. With a lubeless squeeky chain. I'd have loved to do the loop again but probably wouldn't have made it back home! Props to everyone who has helped make this happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest is open.’ is closed to new replies.