• This topic has 333 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by diz.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 334 total)
  • Gisburn Forest is open.
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Stumpyjon – We saw some of your work while doing the recent Gisburn 12 hour dirty dozen.

Can you email me the GPX please?
    johnmoore200 @ aol.com (no spaces)

2hottie
    Free Member

I was up in the forest on Tuesday evening. The trail was a little wet but to be fair it has been raining hard at times for the past few days. I would also recommend keeping the skidding to a minimum as the trail in places is still new so can be easily buggered up! As Jon pointed out the track is a figure of 8 so that you get all the best bits ridden in the correct direction. If you don't have a map keep an eye out for the small signs at the start of the sections. The split logs are great to ride over and they are built over the ground like a raft? (iirc) also they are quite bumpy to ride which is fun. The track is berm central. The volunteer stone pitching was great to ride down and yes the first step is a little off putting… I am just glad that we all decided to move the track so that you have a straight line/run into that section. As for names I think the roller coaster section will stay as for the others I am unsure. I think all the volunteers should send Martin or Nigel ideas. maybe snakes and ladders? or stumble in the jungle…

I for one am very happy that I helped to dig, when I ride the volunteer section I know how much hard graft went into each yard of the track. So when I ride that section I grin like a mad man!

enjoy, an I'll see whoever is up there tomorrow as me and a few friends are riding after lunch.

Get digging

2Hottie.

taka
    Free Member

you'll be seing me and my bro tomoz afternoon me on a trek fule and my bro on a spech hardrock sport 🙂

2hottie
    Free Member

Cool, I'll be a Kona in full stealth black mode and my bro on his brand new Blizzard and our friend on his merlin malt

taka
    Free Member

proberly see you cruzing around then

tom

Junkyard
    Free Member

GPS file sent to those who requested
    I got it from stumpyjohn and saving him some work.

Oggles
    Free Member

Could I get a copy of the gps route please junkyard/stumpy?
    Not urgent, doubt I will make it this weekend but will be useful, Ta.
    email in profile

taka
    Free Member

would the gpx thingi work on a ipod touch maps job thingi?

tom ❓

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Many thanks Junkyard

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tom no idea try?
    You both should have it now

Oggles
    Free Member

Thanks Junkyard

stumpyjon

Cheers Junkyard.

Everyone got the file now – anymore for anymore?

Been up to day but stuck to the fireroads, had the wife and kids with me. Ended up as a bike train, me on my very old and very heavy commuter bike, followed by a tagalong with a five year old and then a Burley trailer with a 1 year old on the back of the tag along. Whole lot must have weighed 50 Kg plus (including the picnic 🙄 ).

Anyway got my wheel back today with all the spokes I bust on Wednesday fixed (big thankyou to Ride On in Rawtenstall for the speedy trun around considering how busy they are at the moment). Roll on next Wednesday.

taka
    Free Member

stumpyjon i think i saw you near the main carpark on the flat at the bottom of that hill

big-chief-96
    Free Member

been to gisburn yesterday and tried out some of the runs. fantastic to ride, but the coulour rating system is a bit confusing. i went on a blue one first wich was very easy and then i went to find some reds expecting them to have jumps and decent berms in, which they did. so when i went to a black i was expecting something quite challenging but to be honest i couldn't tell the difference between black and red runs.

ji
    Free Member

I would welcome a copy of the GPS please. How far is this from Lee Quarry – would be heading over from the East Coast, so could make a two stop trip of the day!

2hottie
    Free Member

I was up in the forest yesterday had a great ride out my bro crashed at slow speed after making a joke about some guys bike being really clean, karma is a bitch lol. I saw stumpyjon in the car park (would have popped over but you looked VERY busy getting all that gear in/on the car) Taka I think we may have passed as you were climbing out of the blue with your bro?

Also I've never seen the car park so busy!

Looking forwards to digging next week

2hottie

JxL
    Free Member

anybody up for going down gisburn today??

Email me if so 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Big Cheif

I couldn't tell any difference between the red and blue trail. I think the black grade bits might be as much to do with the potential for an accident (ie FC covering their ass), as they are to do with technically difficulty, in some cases. The fast swoopy wall ride descent will be graded black, even though you could easily tootle down it and wonder what all the fuss is about. The other black bits ( that I'm aware of) are all just little fun techy bits, bearing in mind it is aimed at average joe public.

stumpyjon

Ji

can't see your email, think you need to make it visible in your profile.

Lee Quarry is about 45mins from Gisburn (I live about 2 miles form the quarry), so it's quite do-able in a day. Route from Lee Quarry is a bit convoluted though, lots of narrow lanes so plan your route before hand.

As for the grading, B.A.Nana is right about the Black gulley, it's really red but they decided on black due to the consequences of getting it wrong, not sure I fully agree but that was the reasoning behind the decision. However I would say most of the red is more difficult than a lot of the Llandegla black for example. The black stuff up at Whelpstone Crag is proper black due to it's techincal nature. I think the main difference between the blue and the red is there are no steep short climbs on the blue, the trail doesn't drop below a metre wide and there are no rocky sections, it's all well surfaced.

I think the thing that is different to many trail centres is that they have graded individual sections rather than the whole route, which actually makes some sense.

ji
    Free Member

Email should now be visible.

justin AT louthnet DOT COM

Thanks

stumpyjon

ji

on it's way.

nbt

Everyone got the file now – anymore for anymore?

yes please, the SouthManchesterMassive are planning a jaunt up there for next saturday. Anyone else fancy playing out?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Went round today (Sunday) using the map on pg 1 of the thread.

Wiggly Woods are tight! A great, great section!
    The long stretch out of the quarry brilliant, a bit Penmachno feel, like the musical woodwork, lots of cool red sections.
    Big Berm Gully a blast.
    Even the two blue sections are excellent to finish off.

All in all an excellent session and much kudos to the volunteers and key personnel.

Bring it on!
    Paul 🙂

stumpyjon

nbt

you got mail.

Well looks like the consensus is it's OK then 😆

john-b
    Free Member

any chance of a copy of the gps file thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We're on a new page now, so to reiterate:

If you want to do the all new Gisburn route correctly, taking in all the new stuff, in the correct order and direction, post up a request for that GPS file or print off the stumpyjon route on page 1 or 2?. The new directional signage will not be up and running till at least a week or two. If you just turn up and take a chance, you will likely miss out lots of new stuff. The old signage will, in most places, send you the wrong way.

Skippy

Please can someone send me a copy of the gpx file as well, thanks..

stumpyjon

John-b, skippy, I'll send it from home tonight.

Jon

Mugboo

Just rode it tonight in the rain after a big downpour, very wet and with very gritty eyes..

Used the map and some previous knowledge but missed the start of the volunteer section, joined it part way along, loved it, well done to all who worked on it and are still digging.

All in all i'm impressed, i've never been to anywhere with so many berms and really liked the two hip jumps coming down from the slab.

Slab seems grippy even in a downpour (as does the woodwork) and the quarry looks ripe for some good techy lines. Maybe i'll have look at the DH stuff next time as well.

Roll on Phase 2!

djglover
    Free Member

Hello, please could you send the GPX files to danjwilkinson@aol.com please, I'll be up in the NW soon and want to ride this!
    😀

theotherjonv

How far (time / distance) from Bradford?

Gary_C

A mate,(who was out testing his new bike..grr!)& me were up there again ths evening,set off fron the Dog & Partridge at Tosside rather than Cocklet Hill car park,did the full route,& pleasantly surprised to see a few other riders out on a rainy Monday!
    Mugboo,think we spoke to you,were you on the black Cotic full susser?
    Agree ref the grippiness on the slab,& especially on the woodwork,i've said this before…the hand spilt/cut logs used are way better than the machined timber used at other trail centres.Not once did I feel that the bike was going to slide out from under me on the wet logs.
    Think that Gisburn will be a regular 'must do'& seeing as its only 1/2hour from home it'd be rude not to. 😀

Mugboo

Yep that was me Gary_C, thanks for the guiding.

theotherjohnv i'm in Bingley and its just under an hour.

End of Skipton bypass, Clitheroe, Gisburn, turn right by the auctions (not at the roundabout)and head for Slaidburn. I think there is just 1 right turn at some point (take a map).
    When you get to a Give way go straight across and the car park is on your right.

fizzer
    Free Member

And that was me on my new carbon s-works. 😆

stumpyjon

djglover

you got mail

Jon

Mugboo

Very nice fizzer, did it get a wash as soon as you got home..

taka
    Free Member

the only problem i can see with the new routes is that my mum normally walks the red route while we ride but now theres signs saying you cannot walk 😐 which is putting her off going there and meaning i cani go there 😥

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There is a volunteer dig day this Sunday 19th, 10am til 2pm. Why not come and dig for a few hours and then ride the new trails, all tools and tea provided.

Pass the Crocket Hill car park, pass the church, pass the other car park, turn off School lane onto the forest road (barrier will be open), follow forest road, at a junction take left road, cars will be parked on forest road (actually now a bit further along the forest road than the red dot on the map suggests).

stumpyjon

Sunday will be a good day, loads to do, easy digging and not too much barrow work. It's always more satisfying when you go home and another 50 yards of virgin forest has morphed from grass to singletrack.

Horse
    Free Member

Still on for tonight, will be at the car park at 6.30, ginger beard, Nomad, no mates!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest is open.’ is closed to new replies.