Home Forums Bike Forum Giant Reign versions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Giant Reign versions
  • Giallograle
    Free Member

I’m thinking about a Giant Reign for my next bike, mainly natural and Scottish trails eg Kirroughtree.

The recent 29er versions look less nimble than the earlier 27″ bikes. I’m light and I think the smaller wheels and slightly shorter frame will suit me better.

What are the riding differences between different vintages? Any preferences?

Btw pls don’t post adverts for your bike(s) here, as last time it got my question closed down by the mods!

MartynS

Have a search on here… Giant has an “interesting” approach to warranties. It would put me off buying on ..

jedi

I’ve had 3 giant reign acoustic and electric bikes. Brilliant bikes for the dollar

joebristol

Why a Reign in particular if you’re after something nimble. I personally wouldn’t buy a years old full suss bike just to get 27.5” wheels. I think some of the older Reigns are a bit odd too.

I’d concentrate more on the geometry, suspension system and size and go for a mullet or full 29er.

What are the trails like that you mention other than natural – are we talking about really rocky / super steep / tech or more flow type things?

chakaping

I had the old Reign 27.5 – it was OK but a bit sluggish and uninvolving.

Trails like Kirroughtree work best on a short travel bike IMO, something like 120/130mm.

So I’d suggest considering a short or mid-travel bike, probably in full 29in.

The Giant warranty saga is a bit of a red flag as well, and doesn’t inspire confidence in them as a brand.

arogers
    Free Member

I have the current Reign Advanced and it’s excellent. I would put it very much in the Enduro race bike category though. Not sure that’s what you’re after? Having said that, it pedals phenomenally well and I don’t find it dull on easier trails. I run mine mullet. Lots of adjustment for running 29 or 27.5 and tweaking the head angle.

I also had the “original” 27.5 Reign and the current version is better in every way. The older Reign wasn’t a particularly nimble bike by comparison, other than the fact we all rode bikes 6 sizes smaller 10 years ago, so they were a little easier to chuck around..

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I had a 2019 Reign back along, was a superb bike – not what I’d call nimble though. With 170 front and 160mm rear travel and 27.5/2.6 High Rollers it was like a mini DH bike, incredibly planted and sure footed, but not nimble.

loved it, should probably get another one really.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.