Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giant Contact Dropper – how much rotational play ?
  • iainc

Mine is around 8 months old and I reckon maybe 1.5 – 2 mm each way at saddle nose, so about same as my Reverb on other bike. I’m guessing normal ?

1timmy1
    Free Member

Mine does move, how much I’ve never measured. But I don’t feel it moving when riding. It moved from new and I’ve read reviews that say the same. Has your got worse?

iainc

Don’t think it’s got worse, I’m used to the reverb moving a bit and this one is the same, its just I’ve ridden the Giant pretty much all the time last month or so..

1timmy1
    Free Member

Whats that Giant like compared to a reverb? My mate has a reverb but I didn’t want to spend that much in case I didn’t like a dropper post.

iainc

^^^ its a little slower, but the lever is lighter. Different, but not in a bad way

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of contact switch droppers. Mine both had a bit of rotational movement from new but it couldn’t be felt when riding.

Biggest problem I had with them is they would drop very slowly when riding in the saddle for a while.

mtbfix

Whats that Giant like compared to a reverb? My mate has a reverb but I didn’t want to spend that much in case I didn’t like a dropper post.

I had a Giant post. It was good but the cartridge button would always get sticky and impede performance. I now have a Reverb and it’s so much easier to live with. Worth the extra IMO.

iainc

cartridge button

? Mine is just a cable and lever ? Very light action, although it’s a Stealth one. Actually lighter lever than the reverb button.

1timmy1
    Free Member

If my giant dies I will have to look at getting a reverb. I really can’t imagine riding without a dropper now.

iainc

had a google around and suspect it’s within normal tolerance…

danposs86

Giant have just launched the new 2016 model. Now available in 100, 125 and 150mm drop heights.

Looked at one in the shop and felt pretty solid.

iainc

Interesting, thanks, may warranty it if play develops further, cheers

hainman
    Free Member

Mine has seen 2 1/2 years of Scottish weather and apart from some new cables and a strip down to re-tighten the piston/cartridge into the seatpost it’s been good but has lately started to move quite a bit .Not taken it apart yet but hoping it’s just the cartridge has came loose again.Not to sure if it has any bushings that would go and cause any real movement

iainc

I didn’t know there was a way of tightening it – mine is a Stealth so will pull it out and have a look

julzm
    Free Member

Iainc – dales warrantied one of my kids ones for the same reason. Giant sent the new updated one as a replacement. Dales said they’ve had loads warrantied for the same reason.

iainc

That’s good to know, bike came from Dales. I had it out earlier and the base assembly was loose about 1/4 turn so tightened up and refitted – seems less play so will see how it goes.

kennedy
    Free Member

Mine has seen a year and a half’ish of Scottish abuse and my fat arse. Its got slight play but nothing major. Its been on various bikes in both stealth and external routing (can be switched between the two). Only thing ive ever had is the ferrule on the cable housing not sitting right so the post wont stay down as the cable is constantly under tension, its a 2second fix. I’ve had significantly less issue than my mate has with his reverb.

iainc

good feedback, thanks kennedy. Tightening up the base fitting (where the stealth cable attaches) has taken a fair chunk out of the play. Bizarrely the instructions say tighten to 16Nm but it’s pretty hard to get enough purchase on the outer shaft to hold it against the torque wrench without putting in a vice which I’d rather not. I put some threadlock on it though and tightened it by hand with a decent 8mm allen key, so hopefully sorted. Just need to carbon paste the rail clamps now and put saddle back on..

iainc

hmmm, still a bit of rotational play, although not significantly different to my reverb on hardtail. Will give it another week or so before speaking to LBS about warranty…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giant Contact Dropper – how much rotational play ?’ is closed to new replies.