Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting a second dog
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

So, it’s been decided that we’re getting a second dog as a friend for our current Sprocker Spaniel who’s nearly 5yrs old.
    Currently looking at either Cavachon or Cavapoo style breeds but open to other suggestions.
    Idea of getting another with spaniel blood in it is that current dog will hopefully take to it better and we want something of a similar size and temperament.
    3 kids (7, 5 and 2) so child friendly is an absolute must. Daisy is currently amazing with them and plays like she’s one of them!
    So, the question that we’re a bit stuck on is whether to get another bitch or get a male? Does anyone have previous experience of this?
    Also, any other tips for introducing a second dog into the household? We also have a cat but he pretty much keeps himself to himself and ignores Daisy (and everyone else unless we’re feeding him – typical cat!) 👿

And to finish, here’s a photo of Daisy, because who doesn’t love a pic of a dog?…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Chewie was 3 when we got Ashoka, he spent 2 weeks looking like he was sucking on lemons when she went near him, with the odd rumble but pretty soon they were inseparable. Highlight was him showing off running round the garden doing his stupid staffie run around her.

MrNero50
    Free Member

Got our second Working Cocker when our first was four. Both males, our oldest didn’t want to be in the same room as the pup for first three weeks. Had the pup just over a year and now they play and get on. It takes time.

With a bitch already there is a risk that another bitch will give you more chance of scraps. Everyone we spoke too said bitches fight the worst. I’d get a dog in your situation.

I do agree Spaniel breeds are more likely to get on with other Spaniels. Though Vizlas are known to get on with Spaniels well too.

willard

Had Ted for a couple of years before I got Ralph. Bother are workers, but Ted’s a Springer and Ralph a Cocker.

They have had fights before because both are male and both had their balls, but that dropped off a lot after those got taken care of. They still have grumbling sessions when Ralph’s got something Ted wants and vice versa, but are mostly good pals, but there is that jostling for top dog. If Ted had kept his nuts, maybe that would not be a problem.

Anyway, if I get another one, I’ll probably go for a bitch. I think male/female might sidestep the male/male dominance thing.

bodgy
    Free Member

One dog is your bestest companion, pal and faithful buddy.

Two dogs is just dogs.

beefheart
    Free Member

That is one nice lawn. Is it real grass?

DezB
    Free Member

Is it real grass?

No way…

wwaswas

That is one nice lawn.

Galling isn’t it.

It’s that sort of picture that make the stw tradition of ignoring the subject of the photo and criticising some element of the background really tricky to maintain.

However: could have cropped that chair leg out!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Eithin and Riley say Hi!

Eithin was 5 when got Riley and she really wasn’t sure about having this little pup around but now they’re best of friends (he’s now 10 months). I’m not sure how much longer she will stay top dog but she still has a few tricks left.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses – I was swaying towards getting a male (there’s enough women in the household already!)

That is one nice lawn. Is it real grass?

Erm, yeah of course it is! I spend hours every week getting it perfect and never let the dog pee on it.
    Honest Gov! 😳
    (or it may be artificial)

However: could have cropped that chair leg out!

Meh, I’m not perfect. And I’ve got to leave a token gesture in there to give you something to criticise 😀

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Daisy looks fab.

don’t stop at 2, get 3.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LzwFRu]Nell's second birthday![/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

How they all get on sort of depends on the dogs. Charley (brown one) was a bit put out when Nell (springer) arrived. but now great friends. Alfie (black one) was puppy teacher and loved her straight away. Although as she got bigger and more bossy, he’s had a few times when she had to be put in another room to calm down. All fine now though.

There was a gorgeous 7 month old Sprollie on Spaniel Aid FB feed the other day. Would have totally gone for it, if we were looking for another dog. (we are not).

Aus
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UeMRtN]IMG-20161209-WA0003[/url] by aus23, on Flickr

Lex, the one being leant on, was disgruntled with new dog at first, but once they’d sorted themselves out, it’s all very affectionate! I reckon they’re best left to finding their own rhythm and rules

loddrik
    Free Member

My dog just watched the cat be sick, went over and ate it up, then threw up himself a couple of minutes later. And hour later he went back and ate his own sick which he then threw back up.

I won’t be getting a second dog….

joebristol

Lol at the dog sick thing – our dog Molly will have a go at eating pretty much anything. Definitely her own sick but also other animal sick. She’s quite interested in the baby’s nappies too which is gross!

Molly is a cavachon and she’s got a great nature. Loves kids and gets on with most other dogs. Never barks at other dogs – she doesn’t like labradors (too boisterous) so tends to hide behind me if they are bothering her.

A household down the road have a toy poodle crossed with some other little dog and it has a pop at anything!

In my experience the Cockerpoos tend to be a bit bigger and more energetic than the cavachons – although ours is lively to say the least.

Rockape63
    Free Member

One dog is your bestest companion, pal and faithful buddy.

Two dogs is just dogs.

true dat!

hedley
    Free Member

@supersessions9-2

Just look at the grin on Charley’s face!

And because you can never have enough Spaniels in a thread. Heston, 3 years old and we are also mulling over the idea of getting another one, this time a solid liver with a white bib.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Two bitches here.

Did worry about the fighting, but there has never been any (touch wood). Kipper was 18months when I got Whisky (9months). Kipper laid down the rules when Whisky arrived. Whisky mostly obeys them… apart from when Kipper isn’t looking. They are both Kelpie types and I didn’t want a male Kelpie as they can be very full on.

I think the temperament of each dog is more important than its sex, although in general two grumpy females make more trouble than two grumpy males.

(yes I’m female, and yes I admit it!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting a second dog’ is closed to new replies.