Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Getting a half-way health check?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Just posted this on another thread, where it’s irrelevant, so asking again here:

How do I go about getting generally checked over — for heart, cancer and anything else that might be creeping up on me — now I’m over 40?

My local doctors are really unfriendly and unhelpful, so I think I’d rather go private even if it means paying.

Any advice?

MartynS

My docs do a health check every 5 years or so after the age of 32/33ish.. i’d pester the docs if I were you, other than that I’ll bet your friendly bupa hospital will oblige

Rubber_Buccaneer

My NHS doctors called me in for a check up, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc because I’m just over 40. It’s just the basics. If you want a proper going over I think you will have to pay for a private health check and it will probably cost three figures. Does your employer offer it as part of your benefit package? Some include it in flexible benefit type packages.

GrahamS

My local doctors are really unfriendly and unhelpful

That sucks! Any other docs available nearby?

http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx

jet26
    Free Member

The realistic chances of finding anything that significant in an asymptomatic individual is low – hence not offered on NHS.

You also have to consider the potential morbidity of the investigations.

In short if you are well not worth worrying about unless very strong family history of anything unpleasant (i.e. first degree relatives etc)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Dorset – does your employer offer anything ? There are lots of these offered by private clinics, shop around as prices and services vary. Brace yourself for the prostrate cancer “check” 😮

I’m nearly 50 and have had such a check-up every year since 40 (most through work but some privately when I was working abroad)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’m self-employed – maybe can do something through my own company.

Interested to hear about folks’ docs calling them in for check-ups, mine don’t seem to do anything like that.

Mum and Dad both have/had heart problems…

Scamper
    Free Member

Having turned 40, and complaining of stomach cramps, had my bloods done recently as suggested by my GP. They appear to be able to screen for many things; liver function, cholesterol etc. Two minutes of my time, results back in a week and they contact me if there are any issues. I actually rang for my results after a few weeks out of curiosity, but the figures meant nothing without a bit of google activity.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mum and Dad both have/had heart problems…

Definitely put the costs through your business (I assume you can)

Based upon your family history then you are very likely to “have what they have”, get yourself checked out then you can decide if you need to make any lifestyle adjustments. If you’re married get the Mrs to do a Well Woman check-up too.

Kryton57

Over 40? Prepare to be exploited… 😕

meehaja
    Free Member

Anything they find will increase your life insurance premiums… chances are you have high cholesterol and Hugh blood pressure. Eat better and do more exercise. If you are asymotomatic you ate pro ably fine!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Eat better and do more exercise.

Yes – actually I think that’s it.

Fantombiker

Private hospitals (GIYF) do comprehensive heart health checks, I looked at these and they were £800.

My (wealthy) friend flies to a private hospital in Thailand where they do a full MRI/CAT 2 day health check. You could probably get a good deal in Eastern Europe?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Getting a half-way health check?’ is closed to new replies.