Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Get rid of my DSLR?
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had my Canon 1100D for just under two years now. Got the Kit Lens a 50mm prime and a 55-250 lens. Now I love the image quality it gives especially the prime lens and its great for Aviation stuff compared to my previous bridge camera which sadly broke.
    However with the exception of the odd trip to Manchester Airport maybe once a month or every two months to take shots of Aircraft. The Odd picture of my Reptiles. I find it just sits in its bag in my wardrobe.

I took it out once on the MTB and was very aware of the extra weight in my camelback and scared of riding too hard incase I fell and landed on it.

I do like taking photos when I’m out and about on my Mountain Bike/Motorbike but i end up using my Phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) which produces good photos but just not good enough.

Would it be worthwhile for me to sell my DSLR and get a decent compacts or Keep my DSLR for Certain stuff (Aviation) and get a compact.

scotroutes

What will you get for the DSLR?

What would be the cost if you broke it while riding?

You might be as well to accept the risk of breakage and just get on and use it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I replaced my DSLR 90% of the time with Sony RX100. When I say 90% I mean the DSLR hasn’t been out of the bag since except for night shots.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah as above apart rom Aviation and Night shots I use my phone more. But want better image quality than my phone.
    Its insured so breaking it wouldn’t be too much stress to replace, however. Its a case of it weighing me down on rides. The slightest bit of weight apart from water and tools leaves me in agony due to a existing shoulder problem.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I have a canon 40d and am ashamed to say I take most of my photos with a galaxy s4 . I’ve some great detailed pics still though .

br
    Free Member

Put it on a shelf for when you need it, and buy a compact (or get a better mobile phone/camera).

2nd hand you’ll get nowhere near what you paid for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a decent compact, £200 is enough, half that second hand.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Looked into getting a Canon S120 as something to slap in my pocket. Handy that it has Wifi etc. Yes my phone is pretty good, however its limited by its Zoom length.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Haven’ t used mine in 2-3years. Bought an Olympus xz2 and, although I may miss the longer lens occasionally, it’s used so much more because it’s simply much less hassle to carry around. Great little camera, by the way.

metalheart
    Free Member

The S120 is now only £186 in Jessops….

The problem with compact cameras is that they are a compromise over the DSLR. I mean, try taking long exposure shots of water and you can’t get it narrow enough. The shutter time lapse is annoying and auto focus points can be a pain. Obviously your lens is fixed, you got what you got. Can you get close enough with a compact for all you need?

The size is dead handy though, no problem to stick in a camelbak without too much risk of damage and will produce decent enough (biking) shots. But try taking low light shots of wildlife (for instance) and a compact won’t cut it.

Buy the S120 but keep your DSLR. At least until you’re sure you won’t need it.

banks
    Free Member

Limix gf1 – 20mm lense does me, straps to bag & doesn’t get in the way or feel heavy etc. I picked mine up sh for £120.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Another lumix gf1 user here.

I have the 14mm lense and various old canon lenses.

I quite fancy something small and waterproof though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Keep it and add a compact system camera.

butcher

I carry a Lumix LX5 compact on the bike. Used to carry a DSLR everywhere (proper weighty metal bodied one to boot), but it just got a bit much after a while, and most rides I didn’t even take any pictures!

As you’d expect, the Lumix is a fraction of the size, barely noticeable in terms of weight, and a fair bit more convenient. Is the photographic quality the same? …not really. But it’s pretty bloody good, and a hell of a lot better than any phone. Small price to pay for the convenience.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Don’t canon do a compact system camera?

metalheart
    Free Member

Not for £200 (more like £500) and you’re back to more fragile (albeit less bulky)…

jimjam
    Free Member

Take a look at the Sony A6000, check out some reviews and do believe the hype. I recently bought one to replace my very rarely used Nikon DSLR and it’s been fantastic.

convert

Just got back to using a dslr again after being ‘lazy’ and not carrying it around much. Forgot how much I love it. Where it really makes a difference imo is if you own a fast lens; being able to shoot in low light or with a tiny depth of field really adds to creativity. Also having an offboard flash adds lots too. I’ve got access it some funky studio lights which is great fun to experiment with too. With a dslr in my hands and a few extras I think of closer to painting than a quick snap on a smartphone from a creativity perspective but like painting it takes time. If I don’t have time it’s just a big lump with a bit more reach and ability than the phone in my pocket.

I think I’m a bit all or nothing, if it’s not a proper dslr I think I would be just as happy with a good smartphone camera. I’m not sure I’d find much use for a compact.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

After posting this I had a good play and I don’t think I could get rid. Even though it hurts my shoulder when riding I should really decide if I’m going for a ride or for a photography ride with a certain shot in mind. And use camera phone for snapshots.

Another suggestion was keep my existing body as a work horse that you don’t mind bashing and get a fancier body for best. Suggested by mother who is hunting for my 30th birthday present ideas!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not a good one. Pretty much everyone else does a good option though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Get rid of my DSLR?’ is closed to new replies.